Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: VERY URGENT

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UPDATE: VERY URGENT Empty UPDATE: VERY URGENT

Post by woodwench Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Reboot is back at the vet and it's not looking good.
He was in a lot of pain last night and not toileting. I rang out of hours and got his old vet, the one I hate who is not really a rabbit person let alone a rabbit vet. (the two practices share out of hours calls.) Anyway, after explaining to him what was happening he just said "0.7 mils Loxicom and repeat after two hours if no batter and get him into surgery in the morning." ****************************************** (that's lots of naughty words describing him!)
I got onto Andrew (Andy's oppo) first thing this morning and had him in the surgery by nine. He was in a lot of pain and Andrew kept him in. He;s had X-rays and bloods done and a urine sample sent off for analysis.
He is on a strong dose of pain relief but Andrew says he is eating hay cakes and dried dandy and plantain OK. He was on a drip but chewed it out!
His problem is he has stopped both pooing and peeing!

Has anyone encountered this in a rabbit? Or heard of it? I've never come across a case in any animal where they stop doing both! Andrew had to express his bladder this afternoon.
It's got everyone puzzled and me very worried.

Last edited by woodwench on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: VERY URGENT Empty Re: UPDATE: VERY URGENT

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 am

I am sorry to sound so unhelpful sweetie with everything you ask but I have never experienced this with a bunny. I can understand your being so worried and I wish there was something I could do to help. The sooner those results come back the better and thank you so much for keeping us posted. I understand only too well how you are feeling and I wish could be there to comfort you. Lots of virtual love on its way. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Im sorry i have never experienced anything like that.
I do hope they get to the bottom of it

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Reboot is now with vet Sarah Pellett at the Animate Clinic, Thurlby near Bourne, Lincolnshire. He was referred to her this afternoon after Andrew and Andy had conferred and concluded that they were out of their depth and hadn't the resources to deal with his case.
He arrived there at 6 pm after an hour and a half taxi journey and was checked over and addmitted until Friday when Sarah hopes to have the answer to what's wrong. She is really on the ball and was talking of new drugs I've never heard of and procedures too.

Reboot would have to go a long way to be in better hands but I cannot shake off the feeling that it will be bad news. He can no longer pee on his own and pooing is almost non-existent yet he is still relaxed and eating!
My avatar shows him settling in at Animates this evening (if I manage to up load it).
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 am

It is precious little comfort for you at the moment lovey but you know he is in the best hands and receiving the best of care. I really hope the news is good and you get to the bottom of this, you both seem to have suffered for so long. Lots of love on its way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 pm

He is in the best hands,
Hopefully you will get to the bottom of it all

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am

Had three updates on Reboot yesterday. He is in a big double kennel apartment about three meters square and is being nursed 24/7. He is on a cocktail of drugs, lots of which I've never heard of and he is eating a little on his own but his also being syringe fed. The report at 7-30 last night said he was pooing better and the poos were getting bigger. But he was still having to have his bladder expressed.
His vet rang at 8 this morning to say he had done one big pee on hiss own!
She said that while that was hopeful he is a long, long way from being out of the woods. They still don't know what's at the bottom of all this. His lab result should all be back by this evening.
His bills make your eyes water... £1,339 in vet fees and £164 taxi fees! And that's just three days!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 am

I am hoping so much that the lab results get to the bottom of this hunny. Wow, those vet bills are heinous. It is annoying that they can get away with charging so much especially when they are not getting to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for keeping us posted sweetie. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:40 am

Here's where Reboot is being treated.

https://www.animates.org.uk/

He's in the Exotics dept with vet Sarah Pellett.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:42 am

That looks a great place hunni and yes, he is certainly in very good hands at the moment. Thanks very much for the link. More loves on their way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am

This morning (Oct. 1st) Reboot is having a full set of X-rays done at Animates. He may be having a catheter fitted to put dye in his bladder, don't know that for certain yet. If nothing can be seen by these methods then Sarah, his vet, will take him to Cambridge to have a CT done.
He is peeing and pooing again and eating but not eating hay or nuggets! He is charming the pants off everyone though and they are all saying what a handsome and confident, relaxed rabbit he is.
I think he is well aware of the fact that he is costing me a small fortune and he is feeling rather smug about it!
Fingers crossed the X-rays will show up what's wrong and we can get him sorted!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 am

Oh bless him. Let's hope they get to the bottom of all this Woodwench love and I can just imagine what he is costing you. Good luck hunni and thank you for the updates.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:39 am

Yes Jo, he's an expensive lad. Today his bills have gone well over the £2,000 Pet Plan insure him for!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm

They do get quite smug when they are running up their insurance.
I have been lucky thundercracker has maxed his this year and its only went up £2 a month

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am

Wow hunni, thought it would be something like that. I have Holly insured thank goodness. When they know they are costing us money I can almost hear them saying "But we are worth it." LOL!

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 am

Not so good news from the X-rays.
First: they show a spur between his last two lumbar vertebra which is not good news.
Second: they show something strangely wrong in his abdomen, behind his bladder. Sarah spent an hour studying the X-rays last night then emailed them to another vet for their opinion and they're both very concerned about it but neither can be sure what it is. It's either caused by a rupture in his bladder while he's been straining to go. Or, it could be that his bowels are sticking together after he's been pooing small for so long. Only a CT will tell and that can't be done for another two or three weeks when Sarah would take him to Cambridge on her day off.
She says despite being so ill he is putting on weight and that makes X-ray diagnosis of this kind harder but she wants him to keep eating. Also, though he is eating pretty well his poos remain small though in good numbers.
Anyway, I have an appointment with her on Thursday at midday. I will probably be bringing him home then and he will be on Loxicom and Rinitadine. But Sarah warned me there is every chance the 'Good/bad' days thing with his eating/pooing will be ongoing.  
Not a very good prognosis.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:54 am

I am so sorry hunni, you both have to go through all this and yet the outcome still isn't certain. I just wish he could fully recover and you can both start enjoying your lives again. Thanks for the updates hunni and I am sending lots and lots of love.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:04 am

Another chat with his vet last night and more bad news.
Though his blood test was clear of e cuniculi, tests on his poo showed shedding, so he is on Panicur now!
Good news ... he comes home tomorrow! I will have 25 day of syringing Panicur as well as Ranitadine and Loxicom, the last two look likely to be lifelong now. At least he can have them on food, but the syringing I am not looking forward to.
Sarah did say yesterday that he was eating hay ... "Stuffing his face!" she said. But I wonder what he's eating today .... if he's following that old 'Good-day/Bad-day thing then today he should be eating less.
It may sound awful but in a way I'm dreading him coming home if things are going to be the same going Up and Down as he was. With everything else I've had to deal with over the summer I don't think I could cope with any more of that stress.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Most rabbits have e.cunculi its whether it hits the brain or kidneys.
Stress can cause it to flair up.
Panacur paste is good tasting to rabbits he will enjoy that.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks Gemma. I hope Reboot likes the taste.
His vet thinks he has had it flair up over the last two or three weeks and that he either picked it up during that time or it has been dormant in his system most of his life. It didn't show in his bloods, only the poo tests showed shedding. So with luck it's been caught before any real damage has been done. He has enough to cope with without EC damage.
I think it will be the catching and toweling that will be most stressful for us both. I wish someone would come up with a piece of bunny medicating equipment, like a cradle of some kind that prevents kicking, wriggling etc..
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:38 pm

I put thundercracker in the base of his carry case so if he pulls away the base stops him going anywhere, but then he is a grubber and will eat anything

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:08 pm

I've just chatted with Anne McBride about syringing. She says feed a little treat before syringing then more afterwards, and do this every time and he will soon relax and it will be easier as he will associate the treat and the syringing. Just hope he is into food enough to do this... he would have done once. Now? Not so sure.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 pm

I’m so sorry I’ve missed so much of this.

Poor reboot and poor you. What a rollercoaster for you both. I can relate to you feeling anxious about him coming home. My two are horrendous to syringe anything into!

So is reboot home until a CT scan can be done? Is that the next step?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 am

We are seeing how he responds at home on 1mil loxicom twice daily plus the ranitodine and the Panacur (think it may actually be the other wormer, can't remember it's name). If there is no marked change in things then the CT is next step. I shall discuss all this further with Sarah when I collect him at midday, we may decide on another course, not sure yet. I guess the worming is going to have some bearing on what is decided.
Will update when I know more.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Is he home?
Thumper2001