Philip update

Go down

Philip update

Post by iiisecondcreep on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:11 pm

So Philip had an appointment at the D!ck vet yesterday, he was referred by my own vet after he found some pus in Philips ear.

We had 2 minor scares with Philip in the days running up to the appointment. The first was he developed a bald spot on his back about the size of a 50p, which our own vet looked at and found there was a little scab in the middle. So turns out it was probably just a reaction to the vaccination he had a few weeks ago, most of the hair is now regrowing.

The second was a slightly bigger scare. Philip was wanting up on the sofa, he's not the most agile creature so sometimes when he wants up I lift him up to save him trying (he doesn't often try). When he wanted down I popped him back down again and he was immediately very wobbly, walked rather than hopped and fell over twice and didn't want to get up once he fell over. I was extremely concerned but after a few minutes he was up and about like nothing happened. This has happened once before: http://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t25488-scare-with-philip

So, onto the vet school.
As well as the ear issue, the vets put Philip on the floor and noticed that his hopping wasn't great on the slidey floor. However, it never has been since we've had him but it doesn't slow him down.
Due to both these things the vets decided the best course of action would be a CT scan.

The CT scan showed that Philip has a large build up of wax in his right ear and a small amount in his left so he is to go back and have his right ear flushed and an infusion of anti biotics put in.

The scan also showed that Philip has "Mild Spondylosis deformans of T12-L5". Which apparently is a fusion of the vertebrae in the spine. This sounds alarming, but we need to remember that we've had Philip almost 3 years and he's always been the same. This would also go a way to explaining his mucky bum - it will be difficult for him to reach round for his ceacals and also to groom himself. Would also explain his 2 wobbly episodes - I am guessing he hurt his back.
So the plan is when he goes back to get his ear flushed they will do a blood test to check his kidney function with a view to putting him on long term painkillers. Hopefully this will help him groom.

Philip does not care about his diagnosis and is still running about like a maddy. A short while ago he jumped up onto the sofa, this time tho I put one of their little castles in front of the sofa so he could make his way down without any assistance from me (I don't want to accidentally hurt him again), and that worked.
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1362
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Philip update

Post by woodwench on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 am

Poor Philip... the wobbly walking thing sounds a bit like vertigo which I often get when I have sinus/ear infections; it's darned awful, like being seasick but worse. I trust the ear flushing will help and the a-b's knock out the infection.
I found that using the UVb light helped ease the arthritis in Reboots spine. I rigged it up over his favourite afternoon spot and worried that the bright light might upset him but he just stretched out and soaked up the rays. At Animates Clinic, where he spent his last days they used laser treatment on his arthritis; that is supposed to work wonders.
Keep us in the loop we love to hear of happy buns making rapid recoveries. They really are the toughest, most resilient little beggars, so stoic and brave.
Nose rubs to the brave Philip. Wave Hugs
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3939
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Philip update

Post by gemma997 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Just shows what they can hide.
Hope the wee fella is ok xxx
gemma997