Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soaked!!!

5 posters

Go down

Soaked!!! Empty Soaked!!!

Post by fluffiebunnie Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:59 am

Both pairs of bunnies spend most of their time in the runs... but they are absolutely soaked .... they have litter trays in the runs and the hay looks wet... they have toys which are all soaked.. the concrete is soaked.....

Is this ok for the bunnies? I might go and get some plastic sheeting to enclose the runs - just dont like them sitting on wet concrete and having wet feet all day.
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Soaked!!! Empty Re: Soaked!!!

Post by buddabun Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39 am

Bunnies are weirdos! Mine love sitting out in the rain and I can never persuade them in.

Wet hay will rot so it's best to keep it somewhere dry or change it very frequently. Ditto with the litter trays.

As for wet feet I wouldn't have thought that sitting around all day in water would be good for them... but as long as they have somewhere dry ot go and you are checking their feet regularly I suppose it's ok. I would personally try and cover at least part of the run to make a 'dry' area for them as it might be that they like being in the run bit rather than the hutch but prefer being dry all the same.

Hope they are less soggy now Smile
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffiebunnie Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:06 am

Just done a clean up of one of the hutches/runs... everything is soaked... need more plastic sheeting to make it more waterproof... it was torrential rain here for the last couple of days. At least the hutch area is nice and dry.
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:13 am

I plastic sheet everything because I hate the thought of them sitting their with little wet/cold feet.

I know at least Fiver objects to cold wet paws because he sits in the food bowl, being ceramic it warms up and retains heat quickly! I tend to buy he blue tarpaulin that they sell in Wilkos, I think it's about £3 a sheet.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:01 pm

We have a covered run area in the compound and have one end covered with kitchen vinyl held in place by bungee ropes. They usually sit under there when it is raining and I have put a big bed of hay for them to sit on and nibble. They also go under the hutch when it is wet - but NEVER go in the hutch in case I come along and lock them in!!!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:52 am

I thought it was just my two! Yesterday when I did my weekly big clean out everything seemed drenched, particularly the two bunster who were suggled up in the corner on damp cobbles - despite having at least three shelters which were warm and filled with blankets and fresh straw!! confused

I've put a wooden "floor" down at one end of their run and blocked the sides with wood panels and plastic sheeting above. I can't convince them to use their actual shelters so I'll just have to make sure they have an extra area which is as dry as I can get it. After that, it's up to them!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down