Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baytril Burn

3 posters

Go down

Baytril Burn Empty Baytril Burn

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Lexie has developed a reaction to her Baytril injections on her scruff, it's inflammed and scabby but not open....do I need to do anything to the skin or not and does this mean stopping the injections too?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Baytril Burn Empty Re: Baytril Burn

Post by Faunus Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:49 pm

BooBoo has some of these too. Hers are starting to heal but are being slowed by the zealous grooming of the other buns.
We have switched to Septrin but our first vet didn't seem bothered by the reactions. Hmmm
Faunus
Faunus
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.bmdshare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:50 pm

The poor little lass has no hance of getting a groom from her oh so vain partner so that wont be an issue and she no longer seems bothered by it.

She's fine in herself, just looks a tad unsightly.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ratface Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Not sure about rabbits, but in rats I've heard several situations of it taking a long time to heal. I'll have a dig about for a thread by someone who adopted rats from me - one of the boys had a very nasty burn that took a long time to clear up
ratface
ratface
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ratface Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Can't find the original thread but she's mentioned elsewhere that antibacterial powder and steroids are what worked - creams kept it too wet to heal.
https://2img.net/h/i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/MidnightRose84/P1010373.jpg shows how it was - this was about halfway through healing I think Shocked
She also mentions using grapefruit seed extract - there's a bit of debate in the rat fancy about its use (especially internally, though in this case it was used externally) but it does have the bonus of tasting extremely foul, which obviously would deter the animal in question from overgrooming a burn and irritating it further
In rats, you can inject Marbocyl without risk of the burn apparently, it's in the same 'family' as Baytril I believe
ratface
ratface
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Do you use a new needle from the one used to draw up the dose ?
I find this helps reduce the risk of BB and also if you make sure you inject deep into the scruff to avoid any going intradermally.

I have a couple of Buns who have a dreadful reaction to Baytril regardless of what precautions I take to avoid it. So I tend to give them Oral Baytril instead.

Once the burn starts it can get really deep and there are reports of 'sterile abscesses' forming. If Lexie's burn is deep I think I'd ask the Vet about changing abx or giving Oral Baytril.

Janex

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:08 pm

Jack's-Jane wrote:Do you use a new needle from the one used to draw up the dose ?
I find this helps reduce the risk of BB and also if you make sure you inject deep into the scruff to avoid any going intradermally.

I have a couple of Buns who have a dreadful reaction to Baytril regardless of what precautions I take to avoid it. So I tend to give them Oral Baytril instead.

Once the burn starts it can get really deep and there are reports of 'sterile abscesses' forming. If Lexie's burn is deep I think I'd ask the Vet about changing abx or giving Oral Baytril.

Janex

Yes they wre drawn up using a different needle which was then disposed of, it's odd that she only has one because I don't always inject in the same exact spot so I think your theory about some going intradermally may be correct. It's not deep, all on the surface, but she has lost some fur...can it track down into the skin layers over time?

Typical isn't it, we wanted to avoid Oral baytril because of her poor tummy condition No You just can't win with these animals!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down