Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help

4 posters

Go down

Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help Empty Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help

Post by fluffiebunnie Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:10 pm

I have my hutches covered in tarpaulin... it is constantly on the roof and down the back and I just pull up the front each morning....

I have noticed some mould growing on both my hutches (one is old and one is six months old).. is it because there is not enough air circulating under the bits that are covered all the time? Should I take the tarpaulin off completely every day?

One hutch has white fluffy sort of mould and the other one has black spots.

Help anyone?

Last edited by fluffiebunnie on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help Empty Re: Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help

Post by Catsknickers Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah I would give them an airing every day. Are they treated with hutch stain? I find that helps with mine.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help Empty Re: Hutches going Mouldy - Tarpaulin - Now Leaking!!! Help

Post by fluffiebunnie Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:21 pm

yeah both done in the summer with weatherproof stain.... one hutch was only bought in september and was stained...
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:04 pm

I think giving them an airing is the way forward. Very Happy
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffiebunnie Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Oh deary me!!!

It gets worse..... I didnt take the tarpaulin off today as it has rained all day, but I notice the roof of the older hutch is wet on the inside...... I cant see where the water is coming in from :-(
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornishlass Sat May 16, 2009 6:25 pm

I've just had mine a year and is always totally covered with a tarp. Haven't used it in about 2 months - went to see it today and it had been raining very hard for about a week - the wood was rotting! There was LOADS of water in the tray in there - must be leaking big time - but can't see from ehre - so from now on he is free range in the garden when I am home or in his playhouse! till I can get his large aviary run built by the summer!

Cornishlass
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 am

One of my runs has broken today where the wood has rotted under the tarp cover, the tarp must have been trapping damp against the wood.

I'm not impressed. Hissy
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down