Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weepy eye

3 posters

Go down

Weepy eye Empty Weepy eye

Post by becky Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 pm

I noticed last night that Beau has like fluid on the fur around one eye Sad

The vet checked his teeth and both his eyes today, and said he couldn't see anything that suggests it is related to dental problems but obviously that doesn't mean its not and he said his eyes looked fine too. He has some eye drops now that I have to give all week, and if they don't clear it up I need to bring him back and I guess they will xray his jaw or something? I dunno I forgot to ask Embarassed

Just wondered when a bunny has a weepy eye is it usually dental problems that are the cause? Or are there loads and loads of different things it could be? Nothings changed for me to think its just an irritation

Also the last vet that saw Beau with his sore hocks wasn't the vet I usually like to see with the buns. And his teeth were checked then and I was told that he would need a dental but to wait until his feet were better. Now my usual vet hasn't seen him since then until today and I said I need to see about getting him booked in for a dental now his feet are healed and he was like he doesn't need a dental at the moment. He said his teeth aren't perfect but they aren't in need of anything doing to them, unless further investigation shows that it is an underlying dental problem then obviously he does need one now but if its not he said chances are he might need one in the future but not at the moment. Now im a bit like Hmmm I do trust the vet I saw tonight more than the other one and he does have more experience with rabbits and doing dentals on rabbits

And just because I want to tell you Beau was perfect at the vets like usual :luv: He sat on the table, didn't struggle once and the vet draws me pictures while he is explaining stuff to me and Beau just lay in my arms resting his head, he looked like he was about to fall asleep Shocked Then when I got home he just sat there and let me put the eye drops in with no fuss at all :luv: I was dreading coming home with eye drops because when my rat Flip had them it was a nightmare trying to open his eye and get them in Shocked

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Weepy eye Empty Re: Weepy eye

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Felix has a weepy eye and the vet thinks it is his teeth. He will be having them examined when he gets de-naded next month. I suppose if his eyes were red and inflammed, it might be an infection. Felix's eye just have a white kind of stuff in the corner and his fur is always wet.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:21 am

It isn't always dental problems but due to the high rate of them in rabbits vets often like to be able to rule them out if the eye dosn't clear up with antibiotic treatment....or with a tear duct flush.

As you said, just because the teeth themselves look OK it dosn't rule out tooth root problems which can interfere with the tear ducts when the root elongate and put pressure on the ducts themselves. In this instance a x-ray would be needed to rule that out, and personally I would say that would be a better move than rushing in with a duct flush which *can* cause additional problems should it inflamme the duct further.

Sometimes chronic eye infections can be helped by not only giving topical antibiotics but also oral ones as well....this could be something else to discuss with your vet.

As far as keeping the eye itself clear I personally trim the fur away along the tear path with a pair of **blunt** ended scissors and then apply vaseline as a barried gel to keep the skin from becoming sore through exposure to the salty tears. If the fur isn't trimmed not only is the barrier gel ineffective but the fur itself will trap and hold the tears against the skin, and eventually rot.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I hope Felix will be ok hun

Thanks Sooz, thats all really helpful Wave x

becky