Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food?

+2
racheld69
jai&becki
6 posters

Go down

what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food? Empty what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food?

Post by jai&becki Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Hello, I currently feed our bunnies Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel Junior & Dwarf Rabbit Food. Was wondering what age to start giving them the adult stuff? they will be at least 5 months before I finish my current bag.

Another thing i need to bare in mind is that they are extremely fussy when it comes to pellets (They dont even like the even more expensive pellets...cant remember what its called but its the one in the red bag!)

does anyone know if the adult burgess excel is the same as junior?

cheers

jai&becki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Back to top Go down

what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food? Empty Re: what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food?

Post by racheld69 Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:49 am

Hello - what kind of bunnies have you got?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food? Empty Re: what age to stop giving them 'Dwarf/ baby' food?

Post by lopz Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 am

Never even saw junior food for bunnies!
I feed a cheap brand of pellets and that's it.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jai&becki Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am

Hello

They are both lionheads. the difference between 'cheap' pellets and premium is negligable I wouldn't feed them anything but the best.

My main queery was if anyone has tried the burgess excel supa rabbit dwarf and the adult one and noticed any difference in size/ colour etc

jai&becki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:48 am

jai&becki wrote:

My main queery was if anyone has tried the burgess excel supa rabbit dwarf and the adult one and noticed any difference in size/ colour etc

Yes, there's quite a difference in them. It's a year now since my young does swapped over. I swapped them from junior to adult at about 6 months old but I believe I've read on the packet recently that the junior food is intended for rabbits until about 16 weeks old, then should be transferred, gradually, onto the adult food. I *think* the junior food could be regarded as 'growth' food so wouldn't be good for a bunny that's finished growing. (Which obviously they still have a lot of growing to do after 16 weeks Hmmm )

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 am

I've just remembered they weren't that keen on the adult pellets and it took a while for them to eat them as rapidly as the junior pellets, but we got there after a few weeks.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Try mixing in some new pellets now.... ease them over and you should be fine.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:02 pm

TBH I've never used the junior pellets before for any of our rabbits and am not sure if there is any real benefit to them, but they do normally contain a higher concentration of protein which is not required in an adult diet, so for a smaller breed I would think you want to be changing over at around 5-6 months.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum