Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy settled bunny :)

5 posters

Go down

Happy settled bunny :) Empty Happy settled bunny :)

Post by Kbattenti Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am

Well i've had my boy thumper for about a month now (!) time really does fly...

I think he's happy and settled now Smile he's constantly doing binkys and running around the place Smile

He's getting a bit better about not using my sofas as a litter tray, im not sure if this is due to the fact he now likes my fire place or whether he's just learning...either way I definitely want to look into getting him neutered soon Smile

Him and my cat are getting along alot better now, my cat isnt so scared of him anymore and they both like laying on the sofa together with us Smile

The only issue im having with him atm is that im at uni most days but either way he's out of his cage for at least 4-5 hours a day (or the whole of the day if im at home) but every time I put him back in his cage he throws a massive tantrum and throws his litter box around empties his food bowl out and generally just destroys his cage and i can hear him thumping quite alot during the night...I know this is probably due to him wanting to be out with us, but i was wondering if there was anyway to make him like his cage a bit more or more importantly like being in it?
Its a massive cage (125cm by 80 cm) and he has lots of toys and chew stuff in it, as well as things like toilet roll holders and stuff and an wigwam bed thingy.

Any advice would be appreciated Smile

Happy settled bunny :) Rabbit11
Kbattenti
Kbattenti
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Happy settled bunny :) Empty Re: Happy settled bunny :)

Post by LilyGrace Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Aha thts a well cute piccy of him!! Glad he's getting used to his home now...
I dunno what to suggest about the cage thing, other than he probably thinks he owns the house and doesnt like being locked in his cage for the night Razz heh heh!
Stroppy boy bun Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Aww bless him Love
The cage thing doesn't surprise me, we stopped putting ours in a cage and gave him a room to live in during the day. I dunno which room he lives in, but if you have a spare room, you could bunnyproof it, section off some of it if you don't want him to go somewhere, put down a throw of an old rug to protect the carpet. You could leave the cage open and just keep his litter and food in there, so it all stays tidy.

He'll need hay outside his cage as well, so you could give him a box with hay in it, and perhaps another water bowl outside as well. alternatively you could get a pen ...

Happy settled bunny :) Review_50

and put his things in that, and leave him in your lounge or wherever he is now. Another thing we did was leave Radio 4 on in another room, as it's just talking, I think it was helpful in him thinking he wasn't alone Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kbattenti Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:52 pm

well during the day when he's out he goes everywhere Smile literally...he seems to follow either us or the cat around...he goes upstairs occasionally but prefers to have free run of the downstairs, all of the wires and stuff have been bunny proofed Smile and he loves drinking out of the cat bowl Very Happy

i really like the radio idea tho, especially at night i think coz thats when he's at his worse.... it might give him a sense of company Smile

I was thinking about a run outside, the only thing thats putting me off is that we have lots of foxes/cats in our area and i'd be scared to live him alone, i tried him on a rabbit harness but he absolutely hated it, so never again Sad

thanks for you help though Smile xxx
Kbattenti
Kbattenti
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm so sorry I misread your post and didn't see the 'night' bit Embarassed Can you give him a room to leave him out at night, and/or give him a safe space to roam free in if he likes, as per previous post? He could still have his cage as a bed/litter station Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Just thinking on what your saying Jay...Is there room to get a pen of some kind to put around his cage at night so he has slightly more space, that is assuming you can't let him have the whole room?
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Hiya, I think the pen around his cage is a good idea, you could get an outdoor run but if he's an indoor bun he might get a bit cold in the winter if he's in it during the day.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kbattenti Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:50 am

Hey sorry for the late reply, i've been super busy with Uni these last few days...
Unfortunately although she's getting better at not chewing my books and pooing everywhere i dont think i'd trust her alone for the whole night as the temptation might be too much for her if we're not there to tell her no Smile

Might look into the run idea although I dont think space is an issue as i think its the company she missed at night rather than her being cooped up....when shes out she'll either follow the cat EVERYWHERE or if he's outside she'll follow us from room to room and settle when we sit down...

she's fine going in to her cage at night but when i go to see her in the morning she gets a bit viscous and tries to bite me/claw me when i try and change her food and that, although Lily suggested that might be a territorial thing :/ x
Kbattenti
Kbattenti
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah the biting thing is territorial and should subside, especially if neutered!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down