Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears!

+7
LilyGrace
Sixer
Catsknickers
Vince the bunny
KatieB
FudgesMummy
Jay
11 posters

Go down

A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears! Empty A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears!

Post by Jay Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 am

Firstly, Stewie seems to be sneezing more than I would expect. I've read that they can be allergic to hay and dust, but he has these sneezing fits, say 8-10 sneezes in a row. It is normally when he's around his hay, and I'm thinking it could be that, or simply that he's moved into a house, and there will be lots of potential irritants here that he hasn't experienced before? He's not snotty, and I don't want to start thinking about snuffles at this point in his life, but wondered if any of you had seen this before?

Second thins is that he drinks an enormous amount of water, for a bun his age. Berts never drank enough, maybe an inch of a bowl a day, but Stewie drink nearly 2 bowls a day, and if his water rums out, he'll come and stick his head in a glass on the table Laughing I'm seeing the vet with him next week for VHD, so would like any info that I can discuss with her if anyone can help - I realise it may just be completely normal, but I also know it can be an indication of a few things. Thanks Wave

Last edited by Jay on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears! Empty Re: A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears!

Post by FudgesMummy Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:49 am

Fudge has the sneezing moments-sometimes I think it is because he is a dental bun but then I noticed its normally when he has been 'burrowing' through his hay.

Do you have the heating on in the flat? Just if so Stewie could be drinking and even sneezing more, if his throat/nose feels 'dry'...they way we get when we've visited the wrinkley relatives who have it like a furnance??? Just a thought and could be completely off base.

Stewie could also still be adjusting from being a street kid-like Mum has experienced with foster kids it takes them a while to realise they don't have to gobble their food/drinks as someone isn't going to take it away but it takes a while for them to realise that when their plate is empty it won't remain that long....maybe Stewie is still in drink it all whilst I can mode without realising he isn't living on the streets again....

Hope you get to the bottom of it but he is adorable and has two fantastic parents x
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears! Empty Re: A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears!

Post by KatieB Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:10 pm

You know me...nothing useful to say.....

I agree with Kelly though that the drinking could be a behaviour from when he was hungry and thirsty and the sneezing becuase he is irritated by the hay.

In any case he couldnt be in better hands.

K x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:43 pm

FudgesMummy wrote:Fudge has the sneezing moments-sometimes I think it is because he is a dental bun but then I noticed its normally when he has been 'burrowing' through his hay.
It does seem to be when he's near his hay. I've gradually changed the hay as the one he came with was from a farm, and I don't have access to that, have got dust free though, but it still seems like there's lots of dust..

Do you have the heating on in the flat? Just if so Stewie could be drinking and even sneezing more, if his throat/nose feels 'dry'...they way we get when we've visited the wrinkley relatives who have it like a furnance??? Just a thought and could be completely off base.
It's not ever on high, but low level, I tend to put more layers on rgather than switch the heating up, but I did think the change of environment may have caused it, it's a good point Smile

Stewie could also still be adjusting from being a street kid-like Mum has experienced with foster kids it takes them a while to realise they don't have to gobble their food/drinks as someone isn't going to take it away but it takes a while for them to realise that when their plate is empty it won't remain that long....maybe Stewie is still in drink it all whilst I can mode without realising he isn't living on the streets again....
I'd never thought of that, will ask Anne about that, thanks Thumbs Up

Hope you get to the bottom of it but he is adorable and has two fantastic parents x
Thank-you Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:36 pm

This might not be relevant, but when Faline came to me she sneezed a bit but it went away after about a week or so and I can only put it down to stress from where she was living previously.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

I have some bunnies that drink alot and others that don't. Sooz even had Chance tested before I adopted him because he drank such vast amounts. The tests were clear and he is still a massive drinker, at his grand old age.

Kelly might be right you know, he could have that street bun thing going on and food and drink is a big issue, you quite often get puppies like that too.

I would see if the sneezing settles. If not try soaking the hay, like I mentioned the other day - we do that for horses who have a hay allergy and it works wonders.

I think things will settle and he will just prove to be a big drinker!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Catswhiskas wrote:Kelly might be right you know, he could have that street bun thing going on and food and drink is a big issue, you quite often get puppies like that too.

I can relate to this too. Paddy (the cat) was a stray before coming to us. He treats every meal as though it will be his last. He was so frantic to get at food at first that I had blood tests carried out - all normal. He is gradually getting better but I guess he will always have food issues.

As for the drinking, Gabe and Noo drank a lot more when they were living indoors so maybe the environment is a factor.

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks Hoppers, you've been a big help. I'll talk to the vet about all these options on Tuesday Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Thistle always sneezes when he has a sniff around his hay >_< and he drinks a fair bit too, Luna doesn't drink as much and sneezes occasionally. Think it may just be the dust, will be interesting to hear what the vet says. Hope he's all okay Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Just popped in to say that I discussed all these with the vet. The theories about his early life are valid considerations, but they are concerned about the amount and that his urine is predominantly clear.

I'm going to keep a measure of the exact amount he drinks for the next 3 days, and then we'll take it from there. I'm not stressing over it, but can't rule out a congenital kidney problem, or poss EC without the relevant tests, so if the measurements prove that he's drinking way too much, then he'll most likely have an ultrasound on his kidneys, urine and blood samples, and see what, if anything comes up.

He's so well in himself that I'm sure he's just a big drinker Laughing

The sneezing has stopped over the last few days, so I think that was environmental acclimatisation!

Thanks again, will keep you posted Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Give him some nose rubs from us.

Im sure he is okay bless him, he is so full of bounce!

Definitely keep us updated.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Felix is another bunny that drinks a lot, but now he is in the new compound, he doesn't seem as interested in drinking as before. I wonder if he was simply drinking for something to do.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Hope everything turns out okay Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:07 am

Hope all is ok with the gorgeous guy!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

A couple of 'New bunny' niggles U/D Thank-you Big Ears! Empty UD

Post by Jay Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm so sorry I forgot to update this thread Embarassed and I owe someone a thank-you Smile
After Lynne Thumpersmum put up the thread about Readigrass, Alison Big Ears put a post on there ( Clicky ) about some buns drinking more water when they eat Readigrass. I took Stewie off it the next day and monitored his water intake over the next week.
Slowly it came down, and now he is drinking as much as is expected, about 150 ml a day Smile

Big thanks to Alison, our wee lad has been spared from urine test, possible ultrasound kidney scans and anything else that may have happened due to us not being able to find out what was causing his unquenchable thirst Very Happy

This is what forums are great for, I'm very grateful Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 pm

My little Snuffie drinks a lot of water but he always has done. However, I do keep an eye out in case it increases significantly.

I hope he is OK now.

Love Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Aw, thank you Jay. But all I did was soak up information from people who know FAR more than I do and try to pass it on when there's an opportunity. Sometimes you just get lucky with these things and it come in useful to someone.

Glad Stewie has been spared from proding and ponderings Love

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Well it was really helpful, you obviously have a good eye for detail, and I'm glad the Polar bunny has been spared all those indignations. I saw the vet with him today and I told her about the water/readigrass thing and she was amazed by it, and was very happy to accept that. She also said 'I've never had another rabbit in here who eats readigrass, so it;s not something I would have thought of', so she was well happy too Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down