Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

=^o^= Intro Posto

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

=^o^= Intro Posto Empty =^o^= Intro Posto

Post by Schneeball on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Hello I thought I would pop into the Gateway and make myself known.

My names Jonathan and I am 32 , will be 33 this October.

I have a Chinchilla Blue bunny boy called Schneeball ----> =^o^= ( shcneeball symbol ) , you might see a lot of this.

I have had my bunny boy since Dec 2005 but I have heard that Chinchilla Blue's , just my luck Rolling Eyes * rolls eyes * can last well over 10 years. For example Toby of Surbiton @ 17

I have had other rabbits in the past. I had two that I bought together in a local pet shop to me in 2001 , they were my first ever rabbits after I made the deision to get a rabbit when I was I was doing further education on a level B NPTC & VFCS Horticulture course , the 1997/98 academic year. it was there I saw a rabbit at the place I studied ( Nash House ) , which happened to be in a place calley Coney Hall. hence the rabbit connection and my decision to get one.

I eventualy got two as I said and there names were Nash-eoke and Toky-Ohki.
----> =^-^= Nash-eoke symbol
----> = ^ _ ^ = Toky-Ohki symbol

Nash-eoke was named after Nash house where I studied in horticulture and Ryo-Ohki from the japanese anime Tenchi Muyo.

Toky-Ohki was named after Neo Tokyo and Ohki again

Nash-eoke was a Dwarf Lop unfortunately died in 2003 after prolonged frailty and gastric ilness and pneumonia.

Toky a Black Havana doe died uneutered in 2008 after a good 7 yrs , she will be sadly missed by me , but not as much as Nash-eoke , of who unfortunately died in my arms. I've never realy recovered from that , and wont let his memory go.

I joined The Cabbit patch forum in Oct 2004 and added him to a list ascended as a cabbit. ( Pen Pal List ) Nash-eoke was adopted only three days later by a teenage girl in Ny State known as Zekesta. I have now lost contact with her. Cabbit Patch lasted until 2006 before it was shut down.

I also joined paw talk pets in Dec 2004 , a general pet forum. I have randomly floated in and out of there for years and still to this day.

Also I have other pets.

{ 'Y' } Chumleigh the Guinea pig ( M )

Esme Florine my 1 yr old Black cat ( F )

Frankie my 1 1/2 winged pigeon ( M ) ? had him for almost three years now.

Five various young coldwater fish in a 4 Ft long tank. I only just set up my tank again recently.

2 Indian stick insects producing eggs a many & ( Both ) ( F)

Dickie : An aging dwarf masked blue loved , that has been plucking for some time now . ( F )

So thats about it.

And before you ask Laughing

Frankie and Esme Florine are the best of friends , thats a turn up for the books . I have pictures to prove it.
Well Esme Florine grew up as a kitten to know him . and has been loose in the flat with him all day at least 5 times by accident.
And I have come home to find the flat free of sporadic black fur and the cat still alive , he he. Frankie has'nt whomped her to death yet.

Regds and peace

or

-----------------------------------------

Much Health Wealth and Happiness to You

-----------------------------------------

Jonathan

p.s Yes I am a special one. Wink

Last edited by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

=^o^= Intro Posto Empty Re: =^o^= Intro Posto

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 pm

hello Wave
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Wave

Hi & Welcome Very Happy
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 pm

Wave Welcome to HH!

You must be kept very busy with the mini-zoo you have Laughing

Looking forward to hearing more about them all Smile

=^o^= Intro Posto C62a7810
Old lady Thumper went to sleep, 10/12/11
Molly and Junior, the norty pair!!
Mum to 2 hoomin hurricanes
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13553
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 pm

I have photo's all over the shop.

Dont have the time just now to put up new pics of me right hand bunny boy , but I managed to pic out this humourous Greyscale picture of Schneeball shortly after I first modified his hutch some years ago.

=^o^= Intro Posto FolsomBunny4-Copy

In the begining he even had an Enameled mug for water and bowl for food , but this was only temporary for taking pics at the time.

If he did feel the need to complain he could always pic up his mug and rattle them on the bars.

This hutch was a direct result of my mother saying oh that hutch is so small it must be like a prison in there.

So I turned it into a Prison Laughing

He kept me up for 2 1/2 years , Chewing on wood early in the morning and late at night , unitil I decided to modify his hutch. I had to repeatedly work on it in order to silence him and finaly get some decent sleep. 13 phases I counted in all. That included an internal aluminium slide partition , that in the end was pretty useless and was only used in the refitting process. Also internaly the hutch had perferated metal strips pinned to the internal uprights.

Sleep Smile ZZZZzzz .

Unfortunately the years of touch up's and small level repairs . I think Bunny Folsom will either need Major works done or replacing with a completely new hutch .

Unfortunately I am finding it hard to get hold of one , because I dont drive and what local shop I do have ,the hutches are too long , not high enough and the mans a chronic shortchanger.

Also Pet shops nowadays tend to sell all the accesories and no pets. Whats the point in having a pet shop , when they do not no pets , this seems to be getting more and more. Yet so easy to get Cats and Dogs privately , any other animal bar them is a nightmare to obtain good quality and affordable supplies.

I'm still working on getting a replacement hutch at this moment.
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

You will find that most of us here like the pet shops with no pets and a lot other buns you'll meet here are from rescue centres and have a better standard of living than their owners! (have you tried the online hutch shops?)
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi & Welcome to the Forum Wave

I have two large Chinchilla rabbits called Ruby and Charlie Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks all.

We have a couple of shops localy . I know of one called Scallywags at West Wickham and they do rescues. Even < < GASP > > Pets@Home do a few smaller critters that have been turned in unwanted.

I recently discovered a nice place called Jack Frosts at Biggin Hill - Keston . The quality of animals there is very good , they have some of the nicest buns I have ever seen. But I can only accomodate the one now. I'm not living with Barbie in Lodging now like I was back then when I had Nash-eoke =^-^= and Toky-ohki = ^ _ ^ =. And as I said I dont drive , only passed there on a long cycle ride. Day out in the country realy.

That Jack Frost's was more of a farm shop realy , had chickens and quails and even some limited garden plants.

Thanks for all the welcomes :/ umm girls.

Laughing

Very Happy
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 am

Schneeball wrote:I have photo's all over the shop.

Dont have the time just now to put up new pics of me right hand bunny boy , but I managed to pic out this humourous Greyscale picture of Schneeball shortly after I first modified his hutch some years ago.

=^o^= Intro Posto FolsomBunny4-Copy

In the begining he even had an Enameled mug for water and bowl for food , but this was only temporary for taking pics at the time.

If he did feel the need to complain he could always pic up his mug and rattle them on the bars.

This hutch was a direct result of my mother saying oh that hutch is so small it must be like a prison in there.

So I turned it into a Prison Laughing

He kept me up for 2 1/2 years , Chewing on wood early in the morning and late at night , unitil I decided to modify his hutch. I had to repeatedly work on it in order to silence him and finaly get some decent sleep. 13 phases I counted in all. That included an internal aluminium slide partition , that in the end was pretty useless and was only used in the refitting process. Also internaly the hutch had perferated metal strips pinned to the internal uprights.

Sleep Smile ZZZZzzz .

Unfortunately the years of touch up's and small level repairs . I think Bunny Folsom will either need Major works done or replacing with a completely new hutch .

Unfortunately I am finding it hard to get hold of one , because I dont drive and what local shop I do have ,the hutches are too long , not high enough and the mans a chronic shortchanger.

Also Pet shops nowadays tend to sell all the accesories and no pets. Whats the point in having a pet shop , when they do not no pets , this seems to be getting more and more. Yet so easy to get Cats and Dogs privately , any other animal bar them is a nightmare to obtain good quality and affordable supplies.

I'm still working on getting a replacement hutch at this moment.

Does Bunny have exercise out of the hutch for so many hours a day, like in a garden or rabbit run or in a room as sometimes constant chewing can be a sign of boredom.

Last edited by Tuckerbunnies on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 am

Schneeball has a harness and I take him out every now and again into the communal where there is grass.

Also I frequantly take him back to Barbies house , the old lady I used to Lodge with. I still do her garden.

There is much better quality grass there. And I origionaly bought a Hex animal pen that I bought for Nashie and Toky. I recently bought another one the same , so the make must be Trixie.

So I managed to triple the size of the pen and make it a rectangle shape.

Today I had { 'Y' } Chumleigh { 'Y' } Warner and Schneeball =^o^= in the pen.

Why ?

No the chewing was early on not long after I first got him , he does'nt do that now. Oh Schneeball has never been one for toys.

Sad
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:42 am

Hello Wave
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 am

Hi and welcome to HH Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Schneeball wrote:Schneeball has a harness and I take him out every now and again into the communal where there is grass.

Also I frequantly take him back to Barbies house , the old lady I used to Lodge with. I still do her garden.

There is much better quality grass there. And I origionaly bought a Hex animal pen that I bought for Nashie and Toky. I recently bought another one the same , so the make must be Trixie.

So I managed to triple the size of the pen and make it a rectangle shape.

Today I had { 'Y' } Chumleigh { 'Y' } Warner and Schneeball =^o^= in the pen.

Why ?

No the chewing was early on not long after I first got him , he does'nt do that now. Oh Schneeball has never been one for toys.

Sad

It was with you saying that he was chewing all night and keeping you up I wondered if he was getting enough exercise as some bunnies will do this as a sign of boredom Smile

It's a shame he doesn't like toys Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 pm

I took a walk up the hill to the local pet shop today. I did'nt even want to go near the place , but I took one look at the price of the larger and rather flat looking hutch outside. £ 50 . Sod that !

So I ended up walking down to Woodside timber and ended up buying two sections of 3.5mm ply.

I ripped Bunny Folsom apart with a Billhook and Hammer , and hence a major overhaul began.

Phase 14 see's the hutch go back to the begining again , with new floor and new back to it. Theoretically there is more room in there now , seeing as the Aluminium partition has gone and it's now just the one hutch instead of a lounge and seperate Bunny Dunny.

I did have =^o^= trained , but unfortunately maybe due to his age he lost all that and just started Peeing and dropping nesquick cereal in the the larger sleeping and lounge side. He was starting to look a right two an eight ( state ) underneath , so something had to be done.

I had him trained where I would open the doors three times of day so he could visit the Bunny Dunny , this had been part of the successful regime to stop him constantly chewing in the early hours and late at night.

But it seems Bunny Folsom has been reprieved. Such a shame and we all thought he was going to go back to living in a brand new normal hutch Rolling Eyes

omg !

I cant post pics for 7 days

Hissy

Last edited by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi,

Welcome to HH.

You should be able to post pics??

Im glad to hear you are doing some work on the little guys cage to make it bigger.

Did you know that the RSPCA and RWAF recommend a minimum hutch size of 6x2x2 with a permanent run attached?
Also Buns should have access to their toilets at all times. Encouraging them to "hold it" will cause urinary problems and is not good for him at all - it will also be very painful for the bun. Really buns should be free to express as much natural rabbit behaviour as possible. You might be better trying to persuade him to use a litter tray which you can change. This process requires patience and must be done very gently.

If you need any advice at all please ask us and we will be happy to help

Katie

Last edited by Katieb on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
=^o^= Intro Posto Pbucket
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Well the hutch is back to the way anormal one is . I also replaced two internal pillars at the back , unfortunately I never had wood similar , so these are smaller diameter. With any luck he wont be able to get his teeth round them Laughing

I also started painting the back again , just needs another coat and once it's dry I can start fitting it out again. No actualy I dont need to do that. I can just refit it now.

Well i'm gonna have a cup of tea first. I have'nt stopped all day.

H'mm , well I tried earlier and it said I could post external links for 7 days.

confused

Last edited by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 pm

It let you post a picture earlier though?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Well I just tried hosting some pics just now and it appears to have failed. I dont think I want to go through all that again * sighs *

There not up so.

Sad

Still going on about i'm not allowed to put up externals for 7 days.
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Im glad to hear the hutch looks like a normal one again. Its good that the bunny can go to the toilet whenever he wants to and getting rid of the aluminium will mean that he has more space which is a brilliant thing. he will be a happier bunny.

How often do you clean him out?

Which site are you using for photos? Perhaps try again tomorrow?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Well bearing in mind the whole hutch is open again. Layer of newspaper , woodshavings and pine chips to absorb eh*hem , Straw then Hay and Forage.

I'm just hoping =^o^= has forgotten what he was like in the past , because he was frankly a bit of a nighmare of a bun. He also has a tendancy to turn his hutch over like a rotovator. I'm hoping he wont do it this time round , because there are so many layers of material down.

I will probably have to clean him out even more regularly now , because the whole floor pan is vunerable to his wee and nesquick.

I am autistic and he stressed me out so much in the past before I started modifying the hutch . That me olds told me " If you dont like him , get rid of him " . But I refused to offload him onto an unuspecting young family of any type , because I would just be passing on the annoyance of him. he is very bold , it's part of being a Chinchilla blue.

He has been quiet for the past three years or more due to the modifications I have made to his hutch and the training I have done my best to give him despite my gift.

I cant realy afford a new hutch , and besides it would only be a newer version of what I have converted his current one into.

Like I said , i'm just hoping his is old enough now and placid enough not to relapse back into what he was before. I realy dont want to have to start modiying this hutch again with stronger internal columns , covered in metal strips. I need to replace the wire on the front because over the years he is slowly chewing his way out .

I have a Photobucket. Yeah i'll probably try again tommorow.

Is there anywhere on the board where I might be able to put up a few pics of other animals of mine. Or is it all buns ?
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Welcome to HH Wave

You seem to have a very busy bunny. A couple of things I would watch.

Rabbits are naturally clean animals. In the wild they tend to pick an area away from the burrow and use that as a latrine. My own buns chose a corner in their outside run and used that exclusively when they were out of their hutch. If you put a litter tray lined with newspaper and hay into the area in the hutch that your bun tends to use for poops, then he will start to use it and his hutch will be cleaner. However, you need to clean the tray out everyday, especially in warm weather when it can be dangerous for the bun to have a dirty hutch.

As for using wood shavings, you are better not to use this as it can cause problems. Sometimes rabbits can get bits in their eyes and it can irritate their respiratory tract. I tend to use just newspaper in summer (for the living area) and a litter tray, newspaper and hay in the bedroom bit; and in winter, newspaper and a thick layer of hay everywhere.

A rabbit should have accommodation where they can do at least three hops. RWAF recommends a MINIMUM of 6' x 2' x 2'. Bigger can only be better. A rabbit should also be able to stretch up too. Obviously, the bigger the rabbit, the bigger its hutch should be.

Also, the opportunity to exercise outside is really important. You can buy or make runs that fit onto hutches giving the rabbit more space and a bit more of an interesting life. You might find that doing this means less chewing. You can also provide apple branches, willow balls for chewing.

If you enrich your rabbit's environment, you may find that the rabbit has more to do and is a much happier bun.

=^o^= Intro Posto NICKIEM
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:59 pm

You should be able to copy and paste the IMG code from photobucket into your posts. And you can open a thread with your photos in the photoshoots area.

cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I think my rebuilt hutch is about 4 1/2 by 2 and 2. So thats probably two hops and not three . O well.

He's an indoor rabbit and I do have a harness that I take him outside in the communal garden onto the grass. But I also take him frequantly to a friends house where I have a large Trixie pen that I recently expanded by 3 after buying another exactly the same.

The grass is better there and he is sometimes joined by the Guinea's { 'Y' } { 'Y' } Chumleigh and Warner.

Of course Schneeball and the piggies cant be in the pen during the late autumn and winter and sometimes early spring , due to unsuitable ground conditions.

So =^o^= has to make do in my flat most of the time. I sometimes let him lollap around the hallway , but it never lasts long as he soon turns bold and cheeky and I end up putting him back in his hutch again.
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 pm

I am wondering what being bold and cheeky means?
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:42 am

Hello there and welcome to HH. Sounds very much to me like you have a very bkred bunny there who is full of wonderful personality. I work for the RSPCA and have to say that you are keeping him in conditions far too small for a rabbit. I would suggest that yiu give him a larger living dpace, attach a pen to his hutch or allow him a few hours at least of free roam time.

His chewing is purely down to boredom. Not knky is he in tiny living conditions but also alone. Rabbits are social animals and as such, ideally require another of their own kind to live with.

Please think long and hard about how your bunny is living at the moment and how it would make you feel to be cooped up in a tiny cage with no social interaction day after day.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down