Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

=^o^= Intro Posto

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

=^o^= Intro Posto - Page 2 Empty Re: =^o^= Intro Posto

Post by Jay on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 am

Jonathan, it's great that you've joined a forum, it demonstrates willingness to learn, and that can only be supported by us. I hope you understand that collectively we have a lot of both owner and expert experience on here, which is what makes HH a brilliant resource.

We all started somewhere, and I think I can say that we probably all got it 'wrong' for a while, but we learn, save up, make changes, and over time we improve the welfare of our animals, which is our legal and ethical responsibility, and this is our main remit as a community.

Having read your posts, there is a lot of scope for improvement, and if you have the will to make things better, you will be rewarded, not only by your bun, but knowing that you have learned and responded, and done something great rather than knowing that you are doing something that is not in your rabbit's best interests.

In our e-zine, Hopping Mad we have expert vets and behaviourists who contribute to it, and have written articles and made films that concentrate on both accommodation and single rabbit enrichment. There are also some very good videos on our You tube site that will help you.

I'd recommend looking at the article on single rabbit enrichment: http://www.hoppingmad.org/E2/featuresindex.htm and watching the following films : Why a hutch is not enough , What is a rabbit? , and the three film that appear in the single rabbit article 'Boredom busters 1, 2 and 3'

Our forum motto 'For a better qulaity of life and care' is just that, we aim to promote, help and support owners who want to make that commitment, and that extends to you. By realising what needs to change, a plan of action can be put into place, monies budgeted, and over time, imporvements made, and I hope that you can see why this is important to you, your bun, and to us.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Well i'll take on board what you've said , but i'm not realy in the position to do much right now.

Maybe his indoor accomodation is'nt quite up to size , but he is a lot better off now that I have rebuilt his current hutch. He refrained from chewing his hutch up last night which is good. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Like I said I take him outside on the harness on a pretty regular basis and he has freedom to roam in large trixie pen at a friends house. I will be taking him there today.

But he is an indoor rabbit and I did train him before , but he sort of lost that capability.

I have tried toys with =^o^= Schneeball , he tosses them around a couple of times and then loses interest. he tends to destroy toys rather than play with them.

I might take a look at those links later Jay thanks.

I cant see an indoor run being feasible , I realy dont have the room.

The hutch he has right now may be slightly on the short side , but it to my opinion a couple of inches more higher than what I consider the nomal hutch , but then I could be wrong , it could just be the way I painted the hutch , so I think he has more than enough room to sit up. Just 2 and a bit hops instead of three is an issue.

He does'nt chew now , Thankfully he is over that . I dont agree with the bordom part wholely. He is a cheeky and bold rabbit , I spose you could call it play , but his idea of play is to chew and take lumps out of everything he pases.

Dont think he does'nt do the binkies , cos he does.

Sad

Noop still wont allow me to post pics.

Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Bunny play tends to revolve around eating really. Some of the best toys are just toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay. Bunny toys should not be built to last, they should be built to chew! Like you my rabbits live in the house, but they are never shut away in a hutch. I am lucky in that I have the luxury of being able to give them a room to themselves however several of my friends have house rabbits that live in the same living space as them and are not shut away either. You just have to make sure your cables are well protected. Giving the rabbits plenty of chewable toys can stop them chewing the furniture completely. If you have a look through the property ladder section you will find lots of pictures of the ways we like to keep our rabbits.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Schneeball wrote:
I cant see an indoor run being feasible , I realy dont have the room. _ could you get a collapsible pen that you could attatch for temporary periods?
The hutch he has right now may be slightly on the short side , but it to my opinion a couple of inches more higher than what I consider the nomal hutch , but then I could be wrong , it could just be the way I painted the hutch , so I think he has more than enough room to sit up. Just 2 and a bit hops instead of three is an issue. It's important for spinal health that rabbits can fully stretch in all directions. Without this, they can easily get deformed spines. A pen (as suggested above) would give him this opportunity. You may be able to get one on Gumtree or free ads or similar. You'll see on the third part of the 'Why a hutch is not enough' video that we start with Stewie in a cage, demonstrate why it's inadequate, then add a pen and demonstrate the benefits. Smile

He does'nt chew now , Thankfully he is over that . I dont agree with the bordom part wholely. He is a cheeky and bold rabbit , I spose you could call it play , but his idea of play is to chew and take lumps out of everything he pases. I think they all are all prone to that, but one thing that may help you - pet rabbits and wild rabbits are absolutely no different in the psychology and behaviour - domestication changed their coats, shape and size, that's all. In the wild, rabbits spend up to 70% of their waking hours forraging over large areas of land. This is a huge proprttion of their time, taken up with hopping around and eating. Pet rabbits also have this instinct, so we have to find ways to fill up to 70% of their time with activities that give them lots of space to move around and mental atimulation - so 'boredom' isn't nec. the precise word to describe this behaviour, but lack of stimulation is the most obvious cause.
Dont think he does'nt do the binkies , cos he does. Didn't think that for a minute Smile.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:50 pm

One of the first things Scchneeball did when I first bought him in Dec 2005 was to chew his way into a cable to a Junction box. Luckily the power was'nt on , otherwise I would have lost him three days after buying him.

All he ever done for 2 1/2 years was chew , chew , chew , and frankly it drove me to dispair until I started to train him and modify his hutch . I had him neutered and that did help with him spraying directly at me. But the chewing continued.

I went around my living room shortening as many power cables and hiding them away from him.

Like I said I can let him out for a short period of time and then he starts up the lark , yes maybe he is playing , but I cant have him taking pot shots out of my furniture and clothes realy.

I have slid out the bedding and clothes drawer under my bed in the past to find hats , jeans and bed sheets full of holes and ruined . But that was more than several years ago now. I tend not to let him near the bedroom at all now.

Yeah i've seen the bogrolls full of hay in the past , if there's something I have it's lots of it's bogrolls . My mothers made sure of that.

Edit :

Yeah Jay thats probably the one , Stimulation . He is a happy bunny nether the less , just a hop short of true happiness.

Collapsable pen is another idea. But I excercise him other ways , like I said I have a harness and I have a garden elsewhere , where he can have a good run around with a couple of Piggie boys.

Last edited by Schneeball on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't doubt for a minute that he isn't happy Smile I see what you're saying, but the shortfall with what you are doing re: exercise is that it's you that decides when he gets exercise, not him.
This is important- bunnies will sleep most of the day, as you know, and have lots of small naps in between, but when they are active, they are active, and that's the time that they need to be able to hop around, binky, stretch and play, amongst other things.
Currently, he has to wait for you to find a time when you can take him out on his harness or to your friends for a run around - what if he doesn't feel like it then? What if he's desperate to run around and you aren't there or are busy so can't help him? This is when he will show destructive tendacies, because he isn't in control of his time, you are.

Most rabbits chew wires, this is because they are similar in shape to twigs and roots. When a bunny is digging a burrow, they are likely to encounter tree roots which they chew through. A wire has tension from the plug to the appliance, and so it is an obstruction, and so it has to be removed. The other thing is that most buns seem a bit obsessed with rubbery products, and wire coating is one.

Please don't think you're under attack, we're just trying to help, you've come here for it, and we're happy to give it, and I hope that ultimately, it makes a big difference to you all Smile

ETA: there's two films on house rabbits, boredom and destruction that we made which may help : Part 1 and part 2
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Dont believe it.

No

yesterday I got home to my flat , only to find when I opened the basket , that I had picked up the wrong ruddy { 'Y' } Guinea Pig.

Only Picked up Warner instead of mine.

How on earth ?

Will have to drop him off and swap tommorow.
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Awwww - I bet the Ginnea Pig is all confused about what is going on. Very Happy

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
=^o^= Intro Posto - Page 2 Pbucket
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Well it was dark.

But still . I have no idea how I managed to pick up the wrong one lol.

Rolling Eyes
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Hey,
Welcome to the forum Smile

Aww it's like the film the parent trap Laughing they both fooled you.

The chewing is probably also because bunnies continually gave to chew to wear down their teeth, it's just sods law when they don't want to chew what you offer them. How about you try offering apple tree twigs? Mine have just started on them and they love them.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Well I brought back the right { 'Y' } tonight , he's back in his hutch.

Ah yes apple prunings. I only just gave one of my trees on my allotment a late summer prune in the last couple of days. Good idea that. =^o^=

Ok so maybe a Lagomorphs idea of play is to just eat everything that comes into mouths reach. That would explain why what toys I got him in the past never lasted five minutes.

I did say he was'nt one for toys.

Where did I get the idea that Rabbits liked to play , as in play ?
Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:13 pm

They like to play together - they will chase each other and they are very inquisative, but they don't play like a dog does.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:50 pm

If they get the chance rabbit's love to play and they will play with toys sometimes it just takes them longer. If you leave some toys in the hutch with your rabbit he will play with them eventually Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 pm

A warm welcome love, you sound as if you have your hands full LOL!! We have lost many a wire in our house, not to mention walls and floors LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi, Better late than never.. WELCOME.

You'll find my bun, Mr Laurie (aka Lil Loll) along with my past buns, on photoshoot thread... woodwench's buns.

You sound like you keep busy. I do my garden, but I'm not really happy doing it... too much grass cutting!

Think you will enjoy HH.

Hope to hear more about Schneeball. That's a great name, so were the names you gave your other buns.

My Clawed was a lovely Chinchilla, she had a gorgeous coat... that lovely purl was a joy to see.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4080
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Ha ha Intro Posto, I onc collected a persian cat I had back from the grooming parlour only to discover once I reached home that another kitty had sneaked in there too. He was a tiny cat so we didn;t notice the difference in weight. We had to keep him until the following morning. It still makes us laugh LOL!!

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Schneeball on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Hey things have been a bit hectic in the last year. I have a new GF now which is good.

I lost Chumleigh the Guinea Pig { 'Y' } and Dickie my Dwarf masked blue lovebird , in the time I was away.

Schneeball has been staying at Nash's garden since the summer. He has a holiday hutch there , and an outdoor aluminium pen thats been expanded 3x. In other words , no longer hexagon shape.

I done some minor repairs on Bunny Folsom earlier , but unfortunately I did'nt have any Roof felt , so I just used an old scrap of a Grey - Belton ( Graffiti Artist's paint ) to blow over the roof. It's an indoor hutch anyway.

I had to replace the wire mesh on the door , as over the years , Schneeball was gradualy chewing his way out the front. Two new hinges on that door and wire staples holding the mesh in place.

Black P marker on the thinner strip of vertical mesh to the left of that. Schneeball's hutch has been through a lot of modifications over the years. But also has extra ventilation holes in the second door , and also ventilation holes high up on one end as well as the back , harkin back to when his hutch used to have two seperate rooms.

That aluminium partition , runner and metal internal strips have gone now , and in his age he has finaly lost his annoying streak , and now no longer continualy chews the inside of his hutch. So his hutch is back to what it origionaly used to be , except the external styling.

I replaced and cut the floor and rear wall myself.

I hope to put some more pics up of Schneeball and other pets at some point very soon. The fish tank in my Living Room is quite interesting now.

Very Happy

Schneeball
Schneeball
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi there, long time no hear.

Sorry to hear about your losses but looking forward to some pics of the lovely Schneeball. Love

=^o^= Intro Posto - Page 2 NICKIEM
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Welcome back Schneeball Wave

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Hello again Wave
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello! looking forward to seeing pics of all the pets!
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Hola! Wave
gentl
gentl