Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rats UPDATE 1

4 posters

Go down

The rats UPDATE 1 Empty The rats UPDATE 1

Post by 4390evans Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:29 am

So Ive been cleaning the rabbits hutches and the shed out every 2 days but just couldnt get rid of this rancid smell, which was quite embarresing. In the end I thought it must be the patio as i only realy sweep and scrape where needed, so I ended up locking all the buns away and putting jayes fluid down and giving it a hell of a good scrub, but while on my hands and knee's the smell wasnt comming from there but I continued anyways just incase as I cant smell things after a certain while.

So....... as Ive mentioned in past posts, we have 2 rats come into the garden every day all day, we have had to be extra carefull with the food etc.... but this morning I seen a baby rat with its mam on the patio about a foot from my living room. They have been in the house before when my brother lived here 2 years ago so I try and keep the doors shut if im not out there. They run across the patio and into next doors garden who also have rabbits, she knocked on my door this morning and said she watched 8 Shocked Shocked Shocked run up the bird feeder and munch away at the seeds then run into her bushes!!!!! which are behind my shed and infront of her fence.

She is getting someone in to come and shoot them on sat which Im against as they are only animals so Ive said if they can catch them and put them in my carrier Im more than happy to take them away and let them go over penshaw monument. she had noticed the smell and her hutch hadnt been used in a long time as she bought a coup and put it in the shed at the bottom of the garden and the smell just wouldnt go..... She is also getting a few terriers for the garden the other side of me so they can go in and get the rats, I just hope they bring them back live so they can go in the carrier Hmmm

Last edited by 4390evans on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

The rats UPDATE 1 Empty Re: The rats UPDATE 1

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Tbh, if I felt the rats in my garden were causing my buns harm, I would remove the rats and do what ever it took to do so Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 pm

I am of the same opinion. I imagine they are bright enough to make their way back home from significant distances as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Yes rats will return they need to be taken a good distance about 5 miles. You don't really want them near your children or the rabbits as they are a health risk to both. Besides Weil's disease, E.coli, and Salmonella they can also cause Tuberculosis. If they have been anywhere near a rabbit with Myxi or VHD they will bring it into your garden on their feet.
They are also full of fleas and mites.
If they get inside your home the problem then will become serious

Signs of a Rat Problem

Rats are nocturnal and usually hide from humans, so the typical signs to look for in the home and garden are:

Scratching noises in walls, under the floor or under decking as rats scurry around looking for food.

Droppings – rats leave dark, tapered (sausage shaped) droppings about 1 - 2cm long.

Distinctive smell – rats leave an ammonia-like smell that will be particularly strong in enclosed areas such as under cupboards, in loft spaces, garages, sheds or under decking.

Damage – rats have teeth that grow continuously and gnaw on wood, plastic and even mild steel to keep them trim. Rats can even cause fires by chewing through cables and wiring.

Ripped food packaging – rats will tear open all types of packaging to find food which may leave teeth marks.

Nests – rats build nests in warm, hidden places using shredded material such as newspaper, plastic and fabrics. Nests will often contain young rats.

Burrows - In gardens, rats will dig burrows especially in compost heaps or under sheds. They will also build nests under garden decking.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:48 pm

yeah I understand and my buns come first its just a shame if any of them are killed Sad They have been here for years and years and years as micks family has always had this house and its just been passed down. The problem continues as the flat next door was owned by a well known knob head of the north east who would do nothing to the garden as it was to big and would cost to much. If this on the week end dont help the rat prob there is a counciler a few doors up ill be going to see to see what he can do. I know its tedious but there is 8 of us on this row and its already effected 2 already!
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:26 pm

so just a little update, my neighbour shot 2 on the weekend but she is doing it at the wrong times as they are comming out mornin and night . The day she shot 2 the biggest mo fo come and sat on my lawn munching on god knows what. I went out and clapped and it scared it off. you should of seen it. it was massive!
We have also found a hole they have munched in the fence to get into our garden.
She has went out to get traps and poison today
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Eek!! *runs away*
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:35 pm

lol x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:46 pm

So we are more or less infested with rats!!! One was in ginges cage the other day and it jumped out at me when I tried to catch it, it got away (ginge wasnt in) I disinfected everything and renewed everything. Then the next day it was Romans turn out and I sat watching at least 2 baby rats run in turns stealing god know what outa his hutch (he is ground level with legs and ginge was in the top bunk) had to change all his stuff I leave the cage open incase they wanna come back for a drink etc........ later I went out to feed the buns and noticed droppings on the top of the double hutch when I went to pick the big plastic tub up a big mo fo rat darted from behind it!!! Ive had enough! The rat man was out on friday and put poison down next door as they are living there but I might put my lot away and get him out to do mine x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm

That doesn't sound good Sad I know you ae against killing them but I really do feel it would be the best thing to do in your case. I'd be worried about the poison though incase the buns got hold of some. Can you put loads of traps down instead? Is there anywhere else the buns can go until the problem is sorted? Would raising all the hutches off the ground help? I have rats in my garden too but not as bad as you have them, I'd hate it if they were in with my buns. I hope you get it sorted soon Hugs
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:20 pm

well not seen a rat in 2 days, but aquired a house mouse lol x
4390evans
4390evans