Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx

Go down

all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx Empty all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx

Post by 4390evans on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:38 am

I was interested in Jays topic a while back about buns in the wild barely having any dental issues due to constant grazing. Then I seen that someone had mentioned a few of tuckerbunnies buns were on a alll hay diet. Im considering converting mine to a hay diet now Ive got some lovley yummy stuff which is going down very well indeed.
What do people think?? any comments??
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx Empty Re: all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:26 am

Most of our's are on unlimited hay and a dish of greens twice a day morning and at tea time. Wild rabbit's eat a lot of grass and bark off tree's and the chewing action of the grass keep's their back teeth the correct length as rabbits teeth grow continuously and so wild rabbits don't have dental problems like the domestic rabbit. That's why unlimited hay is so important for rabbits because they chew it and so are moving their jaws and at the same time they are keeping their teeth the correct length.
Of course in the Summer I like to get them out on the grass as they will chew it like the hay, if the weather permits.
We just cut our bunnies down on the pellets each week until we just stopped altogether.
Barry and Katie and Koko are next for weaning of the pellets.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx Empty Re: all hay diet??? FAO Jay and tuckerbunnies anyone can commetx

Post by 4390evans on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:31 am

They have a block of hay in the shed and the others also have unlimited amounts. They love the pellets and grass im just wanting to get them off for there teeth and also so they can fed for them selves. Im gonna get som bark tomorrow as therw has been a tree cut down out the baxk x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:34 am

4390evans wrote:They have a block of hay in the shed and the others also have unlimited amounts. They love the pellets and grass im just wanting to get them off for there teeth and also so they can fed for them selves. Im gonna get som bark tomorrow as therw has been a tree cut down out the baxk x

Just make sure it's not a poisonous tree .

Conifer's and Pine type tree's are toxic to rabbits.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:16 am

I had Bertie on a pellet free diet, it worked a treat. It is amazing when you cut them out watching just how much more hay they eat, and pellets are not something they would eat in the wild.

I would certianly look at a pellet free diet with dental buns. The other thing to consider is that the shape of some pellets creates an unusual movement when eatnig them that can cause dental issues.

I keep Stewie's intake very minimal, but after hearing Frances H-B's lecture last week, I'm looking at this again. She really emphasisied that it's not he nutritional quality of what goes in that matters, but the nutritional quality of what comes out of the caecum that is important. Whatever rubbish quality food goes in, provided tha the caecum is healthy, the rabbit will produce all the nutrients it needs in there. You keep the ceacum healthy with lots of coarse fibre - hay, leaves and some veg etc.

I've already cut Stewie' pellets back since the talk, and will probably keep him on a few a day over winter, then take him off at spring.

I don't have access to bark, but he chomps through at least 3 aillow sticks a day. I have not had any dental issues with either of mine (touches wooden head.. Wink )

Hope that helps
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:55 pm

fab thanks for the info, Im defo gonna try this out as mine eat so many pellets and they get veg and hay grass and I want them as close to the natural diet as possible.
What veg woulg you recomend for teeth?? the courser stuff or any??
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Jay wrote:I had Bertie on a pellet free diet, it worked a treat. It is amazing when you cut them out watching just how much more hay they eat, and pellets are not something they would eat in the wild.

I would certianly look at a pellet free diet with dental buns. The other thing to consider is that the shape of some pellets creates an unusual movement when eatnig them that can cause dental issues.

I keep Stewie's intake very minimal, but after hearing Frances H-B's lecture last week, I'm looking at this again. She really emphasisied that it's not he nutritional quality of what goes in that matters, but the nutritional quality of what comes out of the caecum that is important. Whatever rubbish quality food goes in, provided tha the caecum is healthy, the rabbit will produce all the nutrients it needs in there. You keep the ceacum healthy with lots of coarse fibre - hay, leaves and some veg etc.

I've already cut Stewie' pellets back since the talk, and will probably keep him on a few a day over winter, then take him off at spring.

I don't have access to bark, but he chomps through at least 3 aillow sticks a day. I have not had any dental issues with either of mine (touches wooden head.. Wink )

Hope that helps

Oh I so wish I could have heard what Francis H-Brown said at the Conference I would have found it so interesting.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jalith3 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi
Bit late but I thought I would reply anyway.
I don't think any vegetables are really coarse for rabbits to eat. Mine have a reasonable amount x2 a day, lots of hay and a very small amount of pellets.
I wrote a thread on willow a week or so ago. Willow leaves are very coarse, my rabbits devour the stuff as well as the small twigs. I get a tree cutter to deliver fresh curly/distorted willow branches on a regular basis. They take the bark off that and with the bigger branches they use so much effort that their feet often come off the floor!
What about wild brambles. I give them the thorns, leaves everything. Really tough stuff!!
Best of luck
Sarah

jalith3
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:39 pm

yeah I read it was good info just gotta find stuff like that now lol x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down