Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do now

+6
Sixer
icedancer
jolovesbunnies
Tuckerbunnies
KatieB
Ruffin
10 posters

Go down

What to do now Empty What to do now

Post by Ruffin Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm

[b]My beutifull Fizz passing away has left me feeling so empty inside I think like most people on here that I get so close to the bunns that it is such a horrable feeling thinking could I have done more to help her and wondering what went wrong she went down so fast. Thats my feelings and of course Ann's but now I have to look at whats best now for Jazz and Peanut Scull AKA Daisy. Jazz this morning wouldnt eat his breakfast when I first took it in but went strait out into the run when I took the trap door off, and was just wandering around he has since eaten his munnchies but dosn't seem his usual bouncy self. I could never ever replace Fizz and wouldn't want to try but likewise I dont want to see Jazz unhappy it has never been a scanario that had crossed my mind what happens if one of a bonded pair passes away. I am sure that this must have happened to a lot of you on Happy Hoppers but I am just stumped now as to know what to do I have never tried to pair up bunnys and whilst I have read about it the thought of upsetting Jazz any further if it didn't work may be worse than doing nothing. Sorry to have gone on but any sugestions or advise would be more than welcome
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

What to do now Empty Re: What to do now

Post by KatieB Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm

What your feeling is completely normal, you gave Fizz such a wonderful life - one that she could only have dreamed of. There was no more you could have done, it was just her time.

It must be heartbreaking to see Jazz upset too - I know this is coming with my pair (although they are competing to see who will go first) and I also have no idea at all how I am going to deal with the situation when it happens re finding a new friend.

I guess only you can decide what to do - and I wish I had some useful advice to give you - just follow what your heart says I guess.

In the meantime Im sending you, Ann and Jazz all the love in the world.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:45 pm

Firstly I'm so sorry about Fizz but don't blame yourself as it happens to us all and when bunnies are ill they go down fast and before you know it theyve gone.

We usually go by the bunny that is left behind if they continue to grieve and start to lose interest in food and everything around them then we will go out and get another bunny or try and bond the grieving bun with one of our's.

Kenzo has been depressed for well over a year since we lost his companion Hope with pneumonia we have tried him with several doe's but he's just not interested and so he lives alone but has rabbit's next to him so he's not entirely without company.

I think if you feel that another bunny would help I'd go for it, but I would give him time to grieve and see how he goes on, was he part of a trio of bunnies as he may get closer to Daisy ?

But don't blame yourself, we all go through the why and what if's and why didn't I and it will just make you ill Hugs Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm

[b]Just a quick update on this I have just been out to give them all some treats and found Jazz and Daisy snuggled up together with Jazz grooming Daisy and although Daisy is a Guinea pig he isn't far of the size of Jazz that has made me feel a little better knowing he is not on his own alltogether he is also still next to Rosie and Jim in the runs with just a double mesh fence between them
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Maybe think about getting him a friend in a week or so, when things have started to settle and its not all so raw.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm

I am so sorry to hear this love, I am sending oodles of love.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:53 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]Just a quick update on this I have just been out to give them all some treats and found Jazz and Daisy snuggled up together with Jazz grooming Daisy and although Daisy is a Guinea pig he isn't far of the size of Jazz that has made me feel a little better knowing he is not on his own alltogether he is also still next to Rosie and Jim in the runs with just a double mesh fence between them

Aww Bless him, some rabbits become more loving when they have lost a companion we have found this a lot .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Poor Jazz, but that is so sweet he is snuggling up to Daisy. At least he isn't totally alone.

I honestly dread the day one of my two are left on their own, they are such a tight bond I really dread to think about it.

Hugs to all of you
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:45 pm

This is the downside of having pairs of bunnies. Seeing them so happy together is magical but when one then leaves for the Bridge it is then sometimes very difficult to know what to do for the best for the one that remains.

When Gabe lost Noo earlier in the year I briefly contemplated trying to bond him into one of the pairs but discounted this because of the personalities involved. Several people (albeit non-rabbity) suggested leaving him as a single bun but although he didn't seem overtly unhappy he had lost some of his natural bounce. It turned out to be a roller coaster ride to find him a new partner, but now he is happily bonded with Spring he is like a different bun and they are a very happy pair together.

I would as Katie said give yourself a little time to recover then maybe consider a new partner for Jazz. Angie at BARC is maybe not so far from you and may have some potential wives available Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:51 pm

From my Humum:

Jack and Mrs D were an incredibly closely bonded pair and when we lost Mrs D we could tell he was absolutely beside himself. We knew we had to give him the opportunity to meet somebun else, however hard that was on us. Five days later we took him to a local rescue and as we were in no fit state to choose a bunny, told the lady to pop him in with the girl bunny who had been there longest. That was Layla. They took to each other immediately and we could not have chosen a more perfect bun for Jack or for us. She is a fearless, sweet-natured, affectionate and utterly daft clown who makes us laugh every day. She has brought Jack out of his shell and encouraged him to be a bunny again after he spent so long taking care of his poorly first wifebun.

There is no 'right' time to consider another bun - you know Jazz best and will have the best understanding of his needs. If you do decide he needs a companion, I'm sure your local rescue would be able to bond him with somebun to save you the stress. They would also be able to try him with different available girls.

We also experienced the grief you are feeling now when we lost Mrs D - that was also very sudden (she had a twisted stomach) and unexpected. When she was poorly on the Sunday, I never in a million years imagined that I would be coming home from work via the vets on the Monday so I could be with her as they put her to sleep Crying or Very sad Like you, we wondered if we could have done more or sooner, despite the vet saying we couldn't. The grief never goes away but the shock lessens and the sharpness of the loss dulls.

In the meantime, it hurts. A lot. I can only send you the best wishes of all of us here at Sparky Towers and say that we are always here if you need to talk Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:11 pm

I have not been in this situation myself, but the above give sage advice. Your bunny will let you know. They are such incredible little creatures.

Hugs My thoughts are with you!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 pm

If you feel Jazz might benefit from another companion then you could always talk to a rescue about taking him dating and see how he reacts to other buns.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 pm

awww i think you will know when or if it's time just go with how you feel but give it a week or two's thought to allow time for jazz to settle Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
again so sorry about fizz's passing xx Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

I am so very sorry love, RIP little one.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:57 pm

[b]Just had 10 min in the hutch with Jazz and Daisy I have been stacking up old plastic plates and bowls and a cardboard tunnel Jazz has been throwing them about just feel so sorry for him although he does seem to be with Daisy quite a bit more Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I think the decision is up to you and only you can make it. Take time to think it over and grieve a little bit. At least Jazz is not completely without company.

In the meantime please do not blame yourself and we will always be here for you as you know Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: