Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up

+2
Tuckerbunnies
Sue_pawz
6 posters

Go down

More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up Empty More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:00 am

Thinking about the space we have available, I'm now thinking a play house might be the best option for my 2, and I quite like the look of this one http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Playhouses/Mad-Dash-Lollipop-Junior-Wooden-Playhouse

Also looking at these runs http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/our-rabbit-runs/65 unless anyone knows any others that might be better?

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Sue_pawz on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up Empty Re: More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 am

I like it , I think I sat one afternoon looking at all the companies that do sheds and 'Garden Buildings Direct' were about the best and reasonable.

Will you be bringing them back inside in Winter Sue?

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up Empty Re: More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:19 am

I think that would be a great set up!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:23 am

No, I'm going to fit some kind of heater and thermostat system to try and keep it a nice constant temperatures in winter. Would also fit a mesh door inside so in summer I can leave the top half of the door open to get them some air in (if we ever get a summer).

We're going to pave underneath it, and I'm going to put some sort of insulation in for them too. Do you think it's OK size-wise? I wish we had a spare room to keep them indoors, but they've badly stained the laminate peeing on it and we want to carpet the front room but they just can't be trusted with anything soft like that.

I'll miss them outdoors.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I prefer buns inside in the Winter especially in North Yorks as it's so cold in the Winter. I don't know if you ever saw this thread it's now been made into a sticky but it's how we did the windows to keep flies and things out.

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t12359-making-windows-in-a-shed-fly-proof

You need real good insulation panels like 'Kingspan' to keep it nice and warm in the Winter. They are what builders use to insulate when building houses.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks Maysie, that's really helpful Smile I want to do the best I can by them, although my diy skills are somewhat lacking.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Sue_pawz wrote:Thanks Maysie, that's really helpful Smile I want to do the best I can by them, although my diy skills are somewhat lacking.

Well if you want any advice just pm us as Mike insulated our boarding shed, and then boarded it and painted it and it's lovely and toasty warm in Winter and cool in Summer Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thezookeeper Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:59 pm

The shed and run look nice and roomy Thumbs Up
B&Q do nice sheds my friend got one for her guinea pig hutches last year Smile.
Not sure how much it would cost though she got hers when their was a sale on so I'm not quite sure what they'd be now.
My guinea pigs and the buns live in our house all year round so we can keep a nice temperature Smile .
We do make sure that if it's a really nice hot day we corner off a bit of the garden,one side for the runs and another for Lily to come out in so then they can go out nearly all day Thumbs Up
I think you're bunnies would love a shed how are you planing to set it up? Very Happy
thezookeeper
thezookeeper
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1071
Location : In my rabbit hole reading with Jenna bun in Kent - England.
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:17 pm

I wouldn't worry about heating it if the buns are going to have 24-hour access to a secure run. They'll cope ok with cold, but not with going from warm to cold and back again. If the shed / playhouse is well insulated and they have a small snuggly box full of hay in it too, that would keep them plenty warm.

That playhouse looks a good size for the money, but in one of the pics it looks like there is a huge gap between the two halves of the stable door when it is shut Hmmm You might get more for your money if you look on eBay, even if you end up with one with a smaller floor area but then put levels inside it for them.

What size of run are you going for?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Hudad says to be wary of the products offered on that site, they tend to be "less than ideal" in terms of constructural strength and build quality. They are mass produced by the thousand.

However, he is very fussy Wink
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Hudad's found this on eBay in Scarborough. It looks to be pretty solid. 6' x 4'.

Playhouse

The auction finishes just before 9pm tonight Thumbs Up
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Wow, I never noticed that gap before!

I'm a bit wary of eBay, I really don't like shopping there at all. I wonder if I might be better going in somewhere like b&q or home base so I can see for myself what's what, rather than relying on a picture online.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 pm

That's probably a good idea, or if there is a local supplier who builds their own. You want to make sure it is fully waterproof and draughtproof etc.

We're so disappointed in the quality of the 6' hutches we bought, and it is only Hudad's skills which have made them usable (and £2.99 tarpaulins which have made them fully waterproof Rolling Eyes ) that we would never invest in something like that again without seeing it first. In fact, Hudad would never buy something like that again, but build it himself. That's not a lot of help to you though....
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm sure hudad could build something for the paws buns if he was tempted with treats Wink

Hands off the fenugreek and carrot crunchies though More thoughts on t&t's outdoor set up Th_BatSmiley
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

I've seen some local companies who I'll get in contact with I think. Father jack - it's for Ted and toffee, not the pawz buns, and I wouldn't want to impose.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Hudad wouldn't mind, I told him so Laughing

If you're stuck let me know and I'll get him slaving away in the workshop. At least he'll be out of our way for a while ROFL
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down