Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

im a new bumny mom

4 posters

Go down

im a new bumny mom Empty im a new bumny mom

Post by isostarmac Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi. Iv had Kenickie now for 4wks. So he is 3 months old now. We have bonded well so far i think. He feeds from my hand, runs to me , climbs right up onto my chest allows me to pet his rump but all of this ONLY when i hve food. The second food is finished he hops away. Iv even managed to get him to take a sprig of parsley from my mouth. Iv not been successful picking him up as he squirms so much. Iv watched youtube so many times i know how im supposed to do it but by the time i put my hands in position he runs off. So far with the aid of parsley iv got him sitting on my chest whilst i get my hands in position and iv been able to lift him a fraction ( all this whilst im sitting on the floor) and he sits there but only until the food is gone then he squirms to get free. He is a generally happy wee guy, runs at top speed around the room, shakes his head playfully and binkies all over the place. He lays flat out peacefully on the floor near me and flops near me too. So all in all im sure he is pretty relaxed around me but i would love him to come to me for petting and hang around for longer than the food lasts. Will this come with time? Any more bonding ideas for me?
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Back to top Go down

im a new bumny mom Empty Re: im a new bumny mom

Post by gemma997 Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Some buns just don't like being handled, I have both types a girl Miranda that likes to be cuddled and is quite laid back and a boy Soundwave who is a mummy's boy but when lifted he'll squirm until he gets put back down.
Many animals will do anything for food, mine can hear the fridge opening from 50yards lol.
Be patient it does take time but he will get there

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:26 am

You're doing the right things. Remember he is very young and likely has a short attention span. I suggest you try hiding some of his favourite things in boxes or tubes stuffed with hay. Get him interested in searching them out and whilst he's doing that you pet him and get him used to longer sessions with you.
Most rabbits hate being picked up but handling is very important so keep on fussing him. It's a good idea to get him used to going into his travel box as well because they soon catch on that the box means the vets! So if you can make the travel box a part of his everyday life it's so much easier at vet times.
Once he is neutered he will calm down as well.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:45 pm

I couldn't have more of a loving bun in Holly love but she doesn't like being picked up.  When we take her to have her teeth checked and claws trimmed it takes more than one at the vets to hold her. She will sleep on my chest and take food from my mouth and snuggle up to me at night, but she really draws the line at actually being handled.  I think when Holly goes in her travel box it is the only time we pick her up.  The trouble is she only has to see it and knows what is coming LOL!!

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Yep i will pesevere but im also prepared to accept he may be a bunny who just wont tolerate being picked up. Ill only do it on occasions i absolutely have to and bribe him with parsley the rest of the time. X
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:35 pm

You are so welcome love.  I must admit there is nothing like cuddling a bun but unfortunately for most of them, the pleasure is all ours.  Yep bribes usually work LOL!!

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi everyone, its a couple of weeks down the line since my last post and I fear my relationship with Kenickie is going downhill fast! Please help! He no longer allows any kind of petting from me, even when feeding from my hand: he takes the food and hops away a little space with his back to me, only returning for more food to repeat the process. He avoids my hands at all times otherwise and it's upsetting me so much iv had a little cry about it. I give him his space and he still lounges flat out, rolls and binky's near me, so I know he is quite happy, but only if I keep my distance.
I talk to him in a loving, soft voice to encourage him, feed him treats to encourage interaction but he acts as if in total fear of me and I can't figure out why. It's a definite downward change , is he going through a stroppy teenage phase now? He free roams mainly and in the mornings when I get up he acts like he doesn't know me by scurrying away to hide. Any advice is appreciated. x
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:07 pm

oh, forgot to add, that also since he does anything to keep distance between us, Ive not managed to groom him yet to get rid of loose fur that he could be ingesting.
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Keep an eye on his poops... any poos strung together with hair? If not don't worry too much.
Some things you could try ... keep a hold on his food dish while he eats, he may be a bit wary at first but if he's into his food he will soon ignore you. Once he's ignored you a few times start to stroke him while holding the dish as he eats.
Another thing... have you changed your perfume, wash powder anything that you will carry the scent of? If your scent changes rabbits notice and I've known great disapproval of some changes. I've always found, with all animals, the least perfume we have on our persons the better they like it.
Plus... your boy is definitely in that awkward period. Neutering will help no end.
When you do get back on terms try the Tellington T-Touch. See my post in the Chat section: Tall Tails & Chinwag.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 am

When you do lift him is it to put him on a cage or pen?
If so try lifting him and then putting him down so he doesn't associate touch with bed time.

I wouldn't worry to much my little guy used to do that about his age, what I done was he wouldn't get a treat until he had a wee head rub, associate food with touch.
Although we fall in love straight away takes them a little time.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:23 pm

hi all, well that's Kenickie booked in to be neutered in a few weeks time. that'll be him 4 months and 1 week old by then. so been reading up lots on this. My other bunny Zuko ( male blu split) is 3 weeks younger.

ive booked him in to be neutered early May. However, am now wondering if it would be best for them to be done together?

My vet is letting the buns stay together anyway on the respective dates as they are bonded

what's your thoughts?

Iz
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:46 pm

If it was me I would get them done at different times,  but that just cause I am an over anxious bunny mum and wouldn't cope with the two at the same time,  
I got enough grey hairs with Soundwave getting done and I've still got Miranda to go pale
Xxx

Last edited by gemma997 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Smile appeared randomly)
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:04 pm

I am sure he will come around love and be a friendly bun.  He will probably end up being really loving.  Lots of bonding vibes on their way. Very Happy  Good luck with the neutering.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down