Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.

+4
fiver
gentl
Tuckerbunnies
Dawnbunny
8 posters

Go down

Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.  Empty Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.

Post by Dawnbunny Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 pm

HI,

Many thanks for your support of the loss of our beloved Binky bunny.

Pumpkin is having a tough time dealing with the loss, as the whole family is.. I would appreciate your advice as I have never been through this and not sure what is the best for Pumpkin.

Pumpkin and Binky were both males and not strictly bonded , we usually kept them cages 4 ft apart as Pumpkin would attack Binky .. but on the other hand they would lie next to each other with run wire between them and the occassional lick of the ear would occur. They would always go up to each others cages etc..

So far we have removed Binky indoor / outdoor cage/runs. In its place inside we have moved a chest of draws with Pumpkins toys in front. Pumpkin seems to think that we have put Binky behind the chest of draws and keeps trying to push his nose down a small gap looking for Binky.... have I done the wrong thing ? Should I move the drawers back and leave the area blank ?

Should I put Pumpkin indoor cage where Binky's used to be ?

Outside in Binkys hutch/run we have put Pumpkins favourite huge pot plant, he runs round it , then ran straight back in his run.

Ive been trying to go with distraction theory , ie new things to give him something else to think about, but maybe that is just stupid...

He has stopped eating his nuggests , we are managing to get a few dandies in him .. his poops are small .... Im giving him lots of love and cuddles he has done chomp chomp.

Pumpkin health is not great , he has arthritis and have just got through a year of being very ill.... we do not think it is a good idea to get another bun as Pumpkin can be really agresssive.

Have other people experienced this and is there anything that might help ?

thanks
Dawn

Last edited by Dawnbunny on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.  Empty Re: Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Buns don't have human rationale skills so distraction will have minimal effect. I don't see any issue with allowing Pumpkin to explore and realise that Binky has gone.

Back to top Go down

Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.  Empty Re: Mourning the loss of a bun. UD Pumpkin doing better.

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 31, 2012 1:09 am

Pumpkin will have known that Binky was ill and I would let him as Cheryl said explore as I think he will then realise that Binky has gone, at the moment he is no doubt looking for him.

We went through something similar when we lost Gypsy's Brother Angel, when they were little they were together but then started to fight as they got older and we split them up they were in pens and had indoor cages next to each other and were quite happy at this arrangement when we had to have Angel pts Gypsy became distant and very quiet.
I think they have to grieve and come to terms with losing their friend but they do get over it in time.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu May 31, 2012 3:29 am

I've not been through this sadness, but I have heard from others that letting the surviving bunny have time with the body of it's friend helps. Changing a lot of things around can be very stressful for some bunnies. It amazes me that rabbits have such widely varying personalities and temperaments. I'm sure each of these personalities will handle the grieving process as differently as humans do.

Give Pumpkin as much attention as you can so he won't feel so lonely. Hugs for you and nose touches for Pumpkin.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 am

aww Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 am

thanks for your experiences it really helps to read them and know what others have found helpful.

Just feel helpless at times cos I want to help Pumpkin but understand we have to be patient to come to terms with losing Binky bunny.

Pumpkin did eat a few nuggests last night and we have had poops this morning.

x
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu May 31, 2012 5:11 pm

I hope he (and you all) feel better with a little more time Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Pumpkin has done much better past 24 hrs... got all his harem out which seemed to help !

Lots of cuddles and nose rubs and he is eating his nuggets and rubbing his chin on everything ......

So releived he is doing better... he still looks for Binky but its not as bad as it was , which is good for him.

Dawn x
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:12 am

That's really good news.

Maybe he is coming to terms with Binky being gone Sad

I hope you are ok too Dawn x
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:35 am

Dawn, sending you some major Hugs and tons of encouragement. Nose touch and cuddles for the handsome Pumpkin Love .
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:44 am

Sending Pumpkin lots of vibes and Hugs for you.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:18 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Binky love, we all know what you are going through. Glad little Pumpkin is better and I am sending lots of happy vibes so he will not be so lonely.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:07 pm

thank you , Pumpkin is continuing to do much better... it will take us both time.... but we will get though this... we have to x
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:38 pm

You can comfort each other which is lovely. I am so glad Pumpkin is really getting better.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down