Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lop-eared rabbits?

+5
alio
NSD
NickieM
KatieB
alicia
9 posters

Go down

Lop-eared rabbits? Empty Lop-eared rabbits?

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Sorry for asking even more questions Laughing I'd really like to get netherland dwarf rabbits, I really like their personalities and I'd like a smaller rabbit. I was talking to my friend about netherland dwarfs and she suggested I could get a mini lop, which from what she said, also sound like a good type of rabbit for me, but I thought I heard somewhere that rabbits that have lop ears can have problems with their ears? I don't know if that's right?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lop-eared rabbits? Empty Re: Lop-eared rabbits?

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Dont apologise for asking questions hun, we are always happy to help and other new owners will be able to use the answers too.

I have a nethie and he is the cutest!! He is also very very cheeky!! ha ha His personality is definitely not in proportion to his size.

I dont know about health problems but I do know that buns communicate with their ears, and lops are unable to do that. But they are still full of personality and cuteness.

I also dont know how big they grow. Nethies are diddy!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Lop rabbits can sometimes be more predisposed to having dental problems because the breeding has broadened out their skulls compared with wild rabbits.

Nethies are little and would be a good choice. However, they are extremely clever (which is lovely) and you need to be on your toes with them because they are devils. Laughing Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 pm

NickieM wrote:Lop rabbits can sometimes be more predisposed to having dental problems because the breeding has broadened out their skulls compared with wild rabbits.

Nethies are little and would be a good choice. However, they are extremely clever (which is lovely) and you need to be on your toes with them because they are devils. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes - nethies dont miss a trick and will try their very best to outwit you! Most of the time they will succeed!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Wave

I have a lop (Josephine) and a giant (Bruce).

Josephine i believe a mini lop but we are never 100% of her size. She's only 1.3 kilos, so is quite small, although not as small as a nethie.

The main problem is from a human perspective - Josephine takes a lot longer to understand, her body language is much more subtle than other rabbits. I didn't realise how hard she was to read until I got bruce, who is so easy to read (because he can move his ears so freely). It's easy to assume Josephine is in a **** with me, when sometimes she is just tired or taking a nap. After a while you get used to it but it can be very frustrating for new rabbit owners.

In terms of health Josephine is a dental bunny but not severe at all. The vet told me that smaller rabbits tend to have more dental problems because of their skull size. Josephine only needs treatment every 1-2 years though, so she is pretty mild for a dental bunny. Her ears don't give her trouble and she cleans them often enough.

Like Katie said, the size of the bunny doesn't indicate their personality. Josephine is a right princess, if i do anything that displeases her (including cleaning her bedroom - it's part of the house, i can't let it stay messy like that all the time!) i get a nip on the bum. Also, if she doesn't want to go to bed, by god she is not going to bed and I have to catch her - not an easy task. But she is very kind and loving sometimes as well. In contrast, Bruce my giant is really laid back and easy going. I think ultimately the personality is up to the bun.

I hope this has helped!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by alio Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I have 2 lops, one of which is a dental. He is really friendly and a sweetie. The other is from a cruelty case so taking a bit longer to come round. My little nethie has me is stitches he lives with 5 other big rabbits but his size is never a problem. If he can't get to the bowl at teatime he climbs up onto one of the ledges and dives into the dish to make sure he gets his fair share Laughing Laughing All gorgeous buns, tough call!! Hugs
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm

I have 5 mini lops, 2 lion lops, 1 angora cross and 1 nethie. I would recommend a mini lop they are fun, laid back but more lively than large lops and easy to care for in or outside. I did have 3 nethies, 2 of which did have agressive behaviour. 1 which is a sweetie but in my opinion there is more chance of agression from a nethie than a mini lop.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Thank you Smile How is best to stop aggressive behaviour? I'd really like a nice rabbit who wouldn't want to attack me when I go to feed him Laughing
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm

From what I've epxerienced, lops are pretty mellow and laid back, which is nice for a first bun in my opinion.
I've had Kenzo who was extemly social and playful, and Chewy who's more wild. but both of them are really calm and they never bite, although Chewy does growl alot.
I kept a nethie for 2 months and he was a real devil, super cute, but way too cheeky, you couldn't leave him alone 10 seconds.
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:28 pm

[b]Trust Ruffin to be different she is a helicopter lop or she was not so mutch now though best of both worlds. How big is average for a Lion Head they allways seem to be small and cheeky Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

My beautiful Gloria was a lop - although I hesitate to say mini! We used to call her the fat flump but she just looked big because Wolfie is quite a small rabbit.

She weighed in at about 3.5 kg and was quite timid but incredibly nosy. She was also very very fond of eating. She wasn't a fan of being touched too much and had this way of 'sighing' when you were trying to catch her in the hutch.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

alicia wrote:Thank you Smile How is best to stop aggressive behaviour? I'd really like a nice rabbit who wouldn't want to attack me when I go to feed him Laughing

Sometimes if they aren't neutered they can be a bit more feisty, if this is the case then before they get spayed/castrated just be more wary of their living space etc. Thistle was fine before castration but Luna was a massive grump before her spay and it's taken her a few months to calm down. Just never think your bun hates you and be patient with them if they get a bit grumpy Smile. They don't mean it...well sometimes Wink
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum