Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any ideas to help weight gain please?

3 posters

Go down

Any ideas to help weight gain please? Empty Any ideas to help weight gain please?

Post by alio Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm

My foster bun Archie has an inoperable jaw abcess and dental issues. Usually I try and keep him chunky so when he has trouble with his teeth he's got a bit of extra weight behind him. Before the lastest dental and operation for that he was weighing 2.5kg however, leading up to it he is now down to just under 2kg. I hoped after the dental he would gain weight again but after a week he hasn't gained anything Sad We have pain relief under control and he is eating and drinking etc but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas to help him put the weight on please? We do have an additional complication of his wifebun being from an RSPCA cruelty case where she was very underweight so as you can imagine she is enthusiastic to say the least at meal times. They are so devoted to each other I don't like to separate them but obviously would do if essential (only at meal times).

Any ideas please?
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Any ideas to help weight gain please? Empty Re: Any ideas to help weight gain please?

Post by Jay Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Aww bless them, that's so sad Sad But so lucky they're with you.

The staple weight gainer I know of is whole porridge oats, but they must be pre-soaked so that they don't expand in the buns tummy. Maybe a small amount of Alfalfa hay a day, this is high in protein, and calories, but is niot usually reccommended for healthy adult buns because of it.

If they can't/ won't eat pellets (Science selective can be fattening in excess) they may eat them if they're mashed up. Put some in boiling water, mash up with a fork, and leave to cool. Alternatively, Burgess do a baby/young rabbit food that is higher in calories, and can also be mashed up.

Good luck, I'm sure someone else will have other suggestions. Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Any ideas to help weight gain please? Empty Re: Any ideas to help weight gain please?

Post by alio Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks, just did him a dish of mashed porridge oats and junior excel. Had to shut him in his pen away from Aby but he wolfed the lot. Then they were reunited like they had spent days apart Laughing Thumbs Up
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:40 pm

A higher protein pellet is a good one, i change mine to a breeder and grower pellet in the winter to aid muscle mass and then to a lighter feed in the summer. I use A&P Breeder & Grower but Excel is also high protein, particularly the Dwarf/Junior varieties.

I've also heard of peanuts but they need to be mashed in with the food and fed sparingly. Obviously they should be naturally prepared (as in unsalted).
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down