Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VHD outbreak in Scotland

3 posters

Go down

VHD outbreak in Scotland Empty VHD outbreak in Scotland

Post by RWAF Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:08 pm

One of our members has recently alerted us to an article published in a Scottish newspaper last week.

"Scotlands wild rabbit population is in danger of being totally wiped out by a deadly disease which is killing them in their thousands.

Colonies from the Borders to Aberdeen are being decimated by an outbreak of Viral Haemorrhagic disease. Experts have warned that the plague which strikes wild and pet rabbits could kill as much as 90% of the Scottish population and are calling for more to be done to monitor its spread. "

Please be aware that VHD is highly contagious and once this virus takes a real hold in the countryside, it will sweep down from Scotland into England and Wales very quickly. How can pet rabbits catch VHD ?

* Hay may have been in contact with infected wild rabbits as grass growing in the field.

* Birds or insects may transport the virus on their feet ( or in their droppings) to your rabbits grazing on the lawn

* The virus may be blown on the wind

* You may bring the virus home on your feet ( or car wheels from rabbit droppings)

Please ensure that your rabbit has been vaccinated for both VHD and Myxomatosis and warn family or friends with a bunny how important it is that they are protected.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

VHD outbreak in Scotland Empty Re: VHD outbreak in Scotland

Post by KatieB Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Awful news. Is there anything practically that can be done to help?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by RWAF Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Katieb wrote:Awful news. Is there anything practically that can be done to help?

Please spread the word wherever you can. I've already posted on all the forums I'm on and a lot of UK Yahoo groups too. A First Alert went out to all RWAF members who are registered to receive them, but some people aren't on the same groups as me, so I'm bound to have missed somebody.

Please also ensure that your own rabbits are vaccinated up to date.

Do you know that there are two different VHD vaccines available? Cylap, which has been around for a while, and the newer one Lapinject. A lot of people have reported adverse reactions to Cylap. My own rabbit, Betty, had a very nasty running sore at the injection site on the one occasion she had it. We've used Lapinject since which was better. You may have to ask your vet to order it in a few weeks before jabs are due as many still opt for Cylap.

VHD jabs are still a year apart, while it's recommended that Myxi vaccinations should be 6-monthly, because mutated strains of the illness have some immunity to the antibodies produced by rabbits who have had the Myxy jabs.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Actually there is a new VHD vaccine called Anivac which, because it doesn't involve a mineral oil as a carrier, is a lot safer for the person administering it and it comes in single shot vials unlike Lapinject.

Both my buns were vaccinated with it recently and it cost the same as Cylap would cost but without the side effects of Cylap. I contacted my vet beforehand asked them to order the vaccine in so it was ready for me when we came in.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down