Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlies house got soaked :(

+2
4390evans
dizzylynn
6 posters

Go down

Charlies house got soaked :( Empty Charlies house got soaked :(

Post by dizzylynn Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Went to bring Charlie in to get him ready to go to vet for his opp, the front half of his house was soaked, really annoyed, the door let in the rain, hubby is trying to figure out how to make it water tight now. So cleaned it while he is away, let it dry up as much as poss and layed lino tiles down the pee side and the door section, he will still have his wood shavings on the top section and not fully covered the bottom, left the area round the ramp so its not to slippy for him. Really annoyed tho.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Charlies house got soaked :( Empty Re: Charlies house got soaked :(

Post by 4390evans Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 pm

try and get a rain cover from a buggy Ive put it round the door of mine and just overlapped it on the inside of the door make it tight but waterproof xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm

4390evans wrote:try and get a rain cover from a buggy Ive put it round the door of mine and just overlapped it on the inside of the door make it tight but waterproof xx

Hubby being his usual self wants it done right, so good luck finding rubber seal, for now will have to put tarpollen over the door area just to stop the rain getting in, think its the wind pushing it in as it was fine last few times its rained even when it was heavier.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Is there somewhere more sheltered in the garden that you could move the hutch to? Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:55 pm

I usually cover my buns' complete hutch in winter with a big tarpaulin sheet from B&Q. If you buy a clear sheet, you can put it over the front loosely and they can see out and it stops the rain coming in through the roof.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:32 pm

NickieM wrote:I usually cover my buns' complete hutch in winter with a big tarpaulin sheet from B&Q. If you buy a clear sheet, you can put it over the front loosely and they can see out and it stops the rain coming in through the roof.

His isnt actually a hutch lol, its a play hut with levels, vet was well impressed at my efforts for his home but means he has to stay indoors while his stitches heal.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Any chance of a pic so we can perhaps brainstorm some ideas for you?

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Any chance of a pic so we can perhaps brainstorm some ideas for you?

Charlies house got soaked :( 306704_10150262804296750_567136749_8032447_7067908_n

Charlies house got soaked :( 298925_10150266810831750_567136749_8073975_1619913_n-1

Charlies house got soaked :( 302785_10150266864296750_567136749_8074372_1861408_n

Charlies house got soaked :( 308233_10150267511066750_567136749_8080160_8144169_n
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:11 pm

If you can turn the shed round and place it out of the wind that should stop the rain getting in or put like someone else suggested a tarpaulin over it that you can fasten at the bottom on to the shed to keep it down scratch

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Would some fixing a wood l around the interior of the door to create a lip that covers the gap behind the door stop the rain blowing through (does that make sense?)

If you are laying lino tiles would recommend you use adhesive and not just rely on the sticky backing as I have found them prone to lifting in the hutches.

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Would some fixing a wood l around the interior of the door to create a lip that covers the gap behind the door stop the rain blowing through (does that make sense?)

If you are laying lino tiles would recommend you use adhesive and not just rely on the sticky backing as I have found them prone to lifting in the hutches.

I was thinking that too, will get some thin wood tomorow, he wont be going out for wee while, I used the stick down ones but if they dont stick will put some no nails on them get them to stay down with that, just keep eye on it when he goes back in.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

In the g.p. hutch I sealed between the tiles with pva glue which is quite cheap and and about as inoffensive a glue as it is possible to have. It dries clear so does not look bad either. I just applie it along the joins and then wiped it with a damp cloth to ease it into the crack and take away any excess. It has worked really well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Could your hubby build a porch for it, or jsut even an overhang? Is it a B&Q play shed? I saw one in my local store, it looked fab! Positioning is key as pp have said, usually the rain ans wind comes in from the south? So position so the back is taking the brunt of the weather, Good luck
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down