Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit carrier tips?

+2
fall3n-ang3l
kobikiki
6 posters

Go down

Rabbit carrier tips? Empty Rabbit carrier tips?

Post by kobikiki Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:05 pm

I've been feeling like a really nasty mummy recently everytime I try to get the bunsta's into their carrier to take them to the vet. They just know that it is a bad place to go!!

I just wanted to know people's tips and tricks and advice of how they get bunny in the carrier, as at the moment I feel like I'm scaring them and panicking them before I've even taken them anywhere by basically cornering them to get them in Sad

I've tried putting some parsley in the back to tempt them in, but they've got clever and go in for it and out again before I've even had a chance to close the door!

They don't really like being picked up anymore and I find that stresses them out too

Funny thing is, when we don't have to take them anywhere and we leave the box open, they are in and out like no one's business.

Thanks!
kobikiki
kobikiki
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Rabbit carrier tips? Empty Re: Rabbit carrier tips?

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:41 pm

do you leave it out all the time? if not then i would try that
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Try putting some hay in a hay ball and fastening inside to the door of the carrier when you go to the vets, we do this and they are apt to eat and forget about the journey.
Try leaving the pet carrier in their play space with a little hay in and some treats in the hay so they will go in and forage for the treats this will make them see a pet carrier as something more than just going to the nasty vet in Smile

Last edited by Tuckerbunnies on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:50 pm

I often have a carrier with the door removed in my rabbits runs for a shelter. perhaps try that so they learn to treat it as somewhere safe rather than something to fear.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:20 pm

I always leave the carrier in with the buns. But I suspect it is you that is stressed about picking them up and putting them in the carrier. Put nice noms in there and they will go in with only a pretend fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:34 pm

[b]Think a lot of it is how confident you are with them I am getting used to handling the little nutters but to watch Anna put Rosie and Jim in the carrier last thurs realy put me to shame. Also once you show them who is in charge, who are the masters etc and they have finaly realised it realy is them just ask there permision nicely Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I totally agree it's a good idea to leave the carrier with them so they can get used to it but what I do is put the carrier somewhere high, usually on top of the dining table, thumper picks the box over being in mid air every time Smile

Like others have said, try to be confident Smile

Although, I realise all buns won't give in so easily - worth a shot though!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kobikiki Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Ooo thanks for the advice Smile yes I probably am showing signs of stress to them when im trying to entce them to go in, even if I do feel firm but fair, they can probably sense the slightest bit of tension and my feeling of guilt by putting them in there

I'm going to attach the carrier to their cage so they can go in and out as they please and put a veggie bowl in there Smile

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on!
kobikiki
kobikiki
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down