Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit

+2
KatieB
Raindrop
6 posters

Go down

My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit Empty My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit

Post by Raindrop Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:36 pm

I have had Pookie for over a year now and she has always been very lovely and calmed until we decided to get a another baby rabbit, Buffy, also female ( I know 2 females no chance). We tried to put them together in the bath tub and it was all fine for ten minutes. Then we made the mistake to leave the baby out and Pookie launched at her and bit her when she saw Buffy eating some pellets... I was really scared because she has never done that before. We have them in seperated cages and leave both cages to face each other at night with 5cms appart so they can smell each other.

We tried again in a neutral room of the house but no joy ! Pookie launched at Buffy instantly and even though i had a water spray in hand she managed to bite a tiny piece of Buffy's ear off. I feel terrible for Buffy cause she's such a happy little bun full of love and since then I am scared of having them both together without one being in a cage while the other is running about.

Pookie has since been a little aggressive with me too which makes me very sad and a little worried to go and stroke her now. She all of a sudden bit my hand and broke skin quite badly and everytime she smells the baby on my clothes she launches at my hand if I try to stoke her. She also attacks my feet a lot more... What's happening to my lovely girl ?

I read we can try and put them in a cage and off for a car ride but i am scared of having them both i the cage in case Pookie attacks the baby.

Pookie is 14 months old and has been spayed. The little baby Buffy is only 2 months and a week or so old and we will spay (or neuter if it turns out to be a male) her too when she is ready.

I wold be very grateful for advices ?

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit Empty Re: My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 pm

I don't know if you have attempted bonding before Raindrop, but is can be a slow process interrupted by lots of fighting. The traditional way to start is by having space where the 2 buns can check each other out through wire. You may well find that they box through the wire - as long as they cannot actually damage each other then you just need to wait this stage out. When they stop showing aggression through the wire allow them 10 mins together in a neutral space with lots of boxes with holes cut in big enough for just one bun. This way it encourages face to face contact rather than mounting behaviours. I wouldn't be introducing food until you feel they are more settled together as it can spark territorial behaviour. Once they manage 10 mins of being civil you can start to extend the time. Some bonds are just difficult. My pair took 6 months and everyone thought the bond would never happen, then one day something just changed and Bruce showed Flo around his hutch and they have been devoted ever since. So don't give up hope.

My biggest bit of advice - take out rabbit insurance and don't put them back together until the policy starts proper (usually after 10-14 days). If they fight the buns can do big damage to each other which mean big bills. It is best to be covered through this stressful period even if you don't want to keep the insurance long term. I don't want to put you off doing the bond but I just think it's a practical thing to do then you have one less worry.

Back to top Go down

My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit Empty Re: My Female rabbit doesn't like my new baby rabbit

Post by Raindrop Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:32 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo, thank you so much for the advice. I will wait and try again like you advised. No this is my first time trying to bond two bunnies together. I did do my researches before getting the second rabbit but I guess that is never enough and reading "how to" to actually doing it is NEVER the same. Fierce little creatures they are... but we all love them Razz !

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi There,

Welcome to happy hoppers.

Im sorry that you are having trouble bonding your girls.

Its good that they are both spayed (getting spayed) and it sounds like you are doing the right thing. From Pookies point of view the house she lives in is hers and she sees the baby as an intruder. This is perfectly normal bunny behaviour as they are very territorial. It doesnt mean that Pookie has turned into a different bun, she is just doing what buns do.

The most important thing to remember is that this can be a slow process - it doesnt mean that you wont get there in the end, its just going to take some time.

When she bit you did you have the smell of your new baby on your hands?

Pookie is probably a unsettled by having this new little girl in her territory.

You are doing the right thing having them where they can see each other and you should try and cross scent as often as you can. This means that you should stroke one bun and then stroke the other other transferring the scents.

I think perhaps before you try and bond them again give them some more time in the separate cages to get used to each other being around. Let them out at different times so they get lots of exercise but dont let them near enough to get to each other. Once Pookie is used to this situation and realises that nothing bad will happen with the newcomer around you can try the bonding again.

What you dont want is for the baby to become soo frightened of pookie that a bond is impossible.

Someone who knows more about the bonding itself will be along soon to help as they will have more experience of this than me.

There are lots of people here that are very experienced with buns so please do feel free to ask any questions you like and to join in the chit chat. We would love to hear more about your gorgeous girlies.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindrop Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Katieb, thanks a million for your words of support. I will definitely wait and keep doing the cage meeting thing for a while. I did have the scent of the baby on my hand when Pookie bit me so it does explain a lot. I am going to get myself a good pair of thick gloves tomorrow (or maybe two ahah) for the mixing scent you advised.

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:40 pm

no problem, again if you have any problems let us know - we are always happy to help and we have members on here who run rescues etc who will be able to help you through the bond. x x x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Sorry if some one has mentioned this, I think you should leave the baby in the cage and let the older have roam of the house. let her go up to the cage in her own time do this for a few weeks. maybe change it about sometimes her in the baby out till they get used to each other then you hold the baby while the older bun has freedom to come up and sniff etc xx

Un neutered females can get on, I have 5 that share one big shed together they are let out together in the garden they are never seperated! do expect some scuffs xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindrop Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:05 pm

4390evans, Wow, I am impressed and this gives me hope. Thank you for your reply. I have been letting the two out of their cages by taking turns. I get worried though as the older one likes to bite the bars.... Today she seems a little more relaxed though, has not tried to launch at my hand or anything that smells of baby rabbit. Fingers crossed ! Thumbs Up

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindrop Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 pm

May I just add, this rabbit forum is so great. The response is wonderful, within an hour ! It did lift my spirits up I tell you Happy Dance ! Felt down and guilty about the whole situation but now I know it can work out. Thanks a million for all the answers and the ones to come.

You are all stars !!! Love

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Thats what we are here for! Very Happy

We have all been there - these buns are sooo complicated, and every day im still learning something new. x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:14 am

Hi and welcome to HH Wave
Not much to add to what's already been said, except that until you a) know the sex of the babay and b) he/she is neutered, personally I wouldn't even start to bond. It's too complicated with a) hormones and b) an established rabbit who most likely feels that her territory is under attack.

By trying it now, it's unlikley to be successful, and once the rabbits become frightened of each other, that will be difficult to rectify.

I wouldn't consider taking them on a car ride just yet. Be patient, when the little one has been altered, if it's male, it will need 4-6 weeks post neuter for hormones to leave the system. I hope it is male, the bond stands a better chance.

Bonding is really complex, but most buns will eventually pair, because its in their nature!

Glad we could help, please ask anything else along the way Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindrop Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 am

Ok, so this morning I let Pookie to run free in the house while leaving Buffy in her cage. Pookie went to the cage and was sniffing through the bars. They sniffed noses for 2 secondes which is progress. But then Pookie decided to circle the cage and jumped on top of it which made Buffy thump a few times.

I then wore the extra thick gloves, lol, and started stroking Pookie then Buffy and vice versa with it. It was OK for 2 minutes until Pookie realised it smelled of the baby and launched at my hand again. She looked like a mini panther lol. So i stopped and ever since Pookie has been following me around the house. Maybe she is trying to protect me from the other bunny ?

Am I doing this right or is it still too early for mixing scents together ?

Pookie is now asleep in the stairs so I let the baby out to play in the leaving room.

Wave

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindrop Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:25 am

Jay, than you for the words of advice. I think I will wait until Buffy gets neutered/spayed to make things a little easier. I will still leave cages facing each other at nights though so they get used to each other.

Does anyone know if size matters when bonding ?

Thanks again !

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 am

Raindrop wrote:Jay, than you for the words of advice. I think I will wait until Buffy gets neutered/spayed to make things a little easier. I will still leave cages facing each other at nights though so they get used to each other.

Does anyone know if size matters when bonding ?

Thanks again !

To be honest, it's in the rabbit's best interests, and yours, that you wait. By trying this now you are really weakening the chances of success. It's preferable to have similar sizes, but that's because if a fight breaks out (and even long established bonded buns fight every now and then!) the smaller one could easily get hurt. That said, plenty of different sized buns bond, and its fine. It's more about the personality than anything else.

I'd deffo leave them facing each other, in sight and smell. The baby's smell will change after neutering, this is another reason to wait, as the female may not recognise the baby once neutered, think it's a different bun and go on the attack!
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 am

Wave hope all goes well,
would love to see some picies of them Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Raindrop wrote:May I just add, this rabbit forum is so great. The response is wonderful, within an hour ! It did lift my spirits up I tell you Happy Dance ! Felt down and guilty about the whole situation but now I know it can work out. Thanks a million for all the answers and the ones to come.

You are all stars !!! Love

yeah you get the main 5-6 coming through and answering your probs like pro's
class man x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindrop Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 pm

fiver wrote: Wave hope all goes well,
would love to see some picies of them Smile

Thanks fiver, I will upload some photos next week when the site allows me (7 days period, tried for half hour before realising... Embarassed )

Raindrop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Welcome to our happy family love, I hope buns fall in love soon. We are here to give kindness and support to each other.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum