Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Syringe feeding

2 posters

Go down

Syringe feeding Empty Syringe feeding

Post by alicia Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Izzy has teeth problems and eats very slowly. She is going back to the vets on the 16th November to have her weight checked again and to get some more information on feeding her. She has two handfuls of burgess excel pellets, unlimited hay and also a handful of porridge oats to help her gain weight, but she eats very slowly and doesn't always eat it all, and isn't gaining any weight. At the vets a few weeks ago she was 1.85kg, on the 19th October she was 1.9kg and today she is 1.81kg, can I crush up her pellets in water and syringe feed her the pellets? I want to make sure she's getting all her food. Also, what high calorie vegetables can I give her?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Syringe feeding Empty Re: Syringe feeding

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:26 pm

You can although they are hard to get through a syringe. You could go down the critical care/ recovery route. Both are available here.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/%25252B+The+Medicine+Chest+%25252B.161/?sort=3a&page=1&mode=all

It might well be worth going for the recovery plus which has added probiotics.

Do you soak the oats first? it might make them more palatable for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:03 pm

If she's struggling to eat because her teeth hurt, try soaking the pellets to make them soft and see if she will eat them like that.

Does she not get any veg? Our Molly is poorly and painfully thin at the moment, and the one thing she will eat plenty of is veggies.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 pm

She does get a few, but because she started eating less quite soon after I got her (because of the teeth problems) I stopped trying to give her new vegetables because I was worried about her having stomach problems, which I really didn't want her to get because she's already quite thin. She's tried a few different vegetables, she's tried celery, cucumber, baby corn and carrot, and also some herbs, parsley, dill and coriander.
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down