Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow's teeth are crumbling ...

5 posters

Go down

Shadow's teeth are crumbling ... Empty Shadow's teeth are crumbling ...

Post by Big Ears Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm

To be honest, he's been with me since just after New Year and for this to be the first time he's needed any dental work, which is better than expected.
For those who don't know Shadow, he and his brother were being given away on ebay as 'extras' with some nasty little hutches so a group of us, including Emma aka Burgess star of the show contestant Mischief's owner, set about rescuing them. The intention was I'd foster them, have then neutered, vaccinated etc then rehome them. When Shadow and Binky were neutered I was told the extent of Shadow's teeth and it was obvious he'd need special care so I decided to keep them.

I took him to see FHB this morning because I wanted an assessment on his weight, 2.4kg, as that didn't seem enough, and to get advice on his eating/feeding regime for winter. I was really shocked when she looked at his teeth - and I feel awful. One of his upper incisors had crumbled away I hadn't looked. He had been eating well and in good spirits so it hadn't occurred to me to look - and it flipping should have done. His gum above the missing tooth is sore, probably from the lower incisor chomping against it. The rest of the consultation was a bit of a blur after seeing his teeth but the upshot is he is staying to have dental work. I *think* it will but *maybe* just could involve removing the opposite incisor so that he can eat properly. I'm not sure but didn't question it as I know he's in the very best hands so whatever treatment he is getting is the most appropriate. I'll fill in details of what and why when my head is clearer... but right now I feel rubbish for not checking his teeth. Poor boy, we knew all along his teeth were likely to be loose and crumbly but they nature of how they are is unlikely to need regular dentals for such as spurs. His teeth are as they are because of poor diet as a youngster - he's only about 2 years old now and his teeth were awful at 1 year old. Crying or Very sad

He's having the dental tomorrow but in the meantime he and brother Binky are residing at Hotel Harcourt-Brown and the banquet has been booked for them.

Last edited by Big Ears on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Shadow's teeth are crumbling ... Empty Re: Shadow's teeth are crumbling ...

Post by Jay Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Having met the proprietor of that particular establishment, I know that Shadow will be getting 5, no 6* service Smile

Sorry to hear of his troubles, he must be quite a resiliant and hardy chap. It's interesting that we, well I, expect to see the symptoms of pain as an indicator that there's trouble, but clearly Shadow is a bit hard, and wasn't gonna let that stop him eating!

Don't be hard on yourself Alison, consider all that you've done for him and given him. Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Poor boy. Don't be too hard on yourself, you can't help what was started before you rescued him.

I hope he's ok
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:57 pm

icedancer wrote:Poor boy. Don't be too hard on yourself, you can't help what was started before you rescued him.

I hope he's ok
^This
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:02 pm

icedancer wrote:Poor boy. Don't be too hard on yourself, you can't help what was started before you rescued him.

I hope he's ok

He had probably never even heard whisper of FHB before you and now he is in the best hands possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks all.

It isn't so much that his teeth are bad that makes me think I failed him a little but that fact that I hadn't realised he had a particular problem that needed attention. Having said that, you really wouldn't know he had a sore mouth - I have difficulty delivering the Excel anywhere near his dish he's so keen to get at it Love

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm

You know better than most how good these buns are at hiding their problems hun, so please dont be hard on yourself. The little guy hid it from you.

He really could not be hoping for better treatment and he could not hope for a better bun mum either.

Sending love and hugs to you both x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanksie all for your thoughts and comments.

Shadow is back home with his brother Binky, in an indoor cage for tonight. They've been sharing a bowl of grated carrot and apple, then spring greens and I decided to try Excel and he coped perfectly well with that too!

He's not had his lower incisor removed, that was just a possible that might be needed in the future. He's just had the fragments of broken tooth removed.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum