Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnum, Diarrhea!/ update

3 posters

Go down

Magnum, Diarrhea!/ update Empty Magnum, Diarrhea!/ update

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Having snuggles with magnum on the sofa and i notice a black streak. On closer inspection it was his poop, it was runny, almost black and streaky. there where a couple of others too on the sofa altho not as runny, just sofa and really dark colour Crying or Very sad

I've cleaned his cage this morning and his other poops look fine, so i'm not sure wots happened, seems to be after he's had his breakfast. We've been doing his food change over so i'm thinking that has upset his belly ?

Back to the start we go, thought we were doing so well, my poor baby.

Ive stripped his cage, he has a tendancy to throw is food about!. He has plenty of water and loads of hay...but he's usually a gready boy to the point were in the morning he stands up against the cage and grovels for his breakfast he also bites the bars if he doesnt get it quick enough!!

I just hope he forgives me Sad

How long should i have him just eating hay??

Last edited by emma.b_90 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Magnum, Diarrhea!/ update Empty Re: Magnum, Diarrhea!/ update

Post by Jay Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:14 pm

It's not diarrhea (sp), it's caecotrophs, the food they normally reingest.
Seeing these can indicate a few things, but normally is an imbalance in gut flora. Coarse fibre shoudl restore balance, so hay and high fibre pellets are good, but there's no need to cut veg out completely, it's still high in fibre, and water.

Overweight buns get this too.

I'm sure he'll forgibe you Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 pm

I agree with Jay. And he is still a young bun and they are particularly prone to over production of caecotrophs. Adding a probiotic to his food or water will help as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:26 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I agree with Jay. And he is still a young bun and they are particularly prone to over production of caecotrophs. Adding a probiotic to his food or water will help as well.
Good point, I'd also recommend Pro B's, You can get 'Pro C' from pets at home.

Magnum has been through a lot in the last few days - he's been re-homed, had a new environment to adapt to, a new owner, different food, etc etc. It's perfetly normal that his guts will have taken on some stress, so I really wouldn't be overly concerned about it, but be vigilant, and keep a check on his poos.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 pm

he doesnt have veg at the min coz he's only just 11 weeks old and i read somewhere that rabbits under 12 weeks shouldnt eat veg yet....all so with us doing the change over i didnt want to upset his belly by introducing vegs...His diet consists of muesli rubbish which we were slowly changing to burgess pellets, he also has loads of hay i was wondering if i should put his pro-biotic in his water?

emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

ah ok guys...didnt see these before i posted...will do thanks for the info guys x

i feel a little better now...you just hear so many horror stories....im a worrier Embarassed
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:39 pm

emma.b_90 wrote:ah ok guys...didnt see these before i posted...will do thanks for the info guys x

i feel a little better now...you just hear so many horror stories....im a worrier Embarassed
we're all worriers Laughing

You're right about the veg, sorry I didn't remember how old he was. Make sure you introduce it slowly, and I would leave it out until the excess ceaco's are gone. I'd start with herbs, more gentle, and a food that they eat in the wild. The change from museli to pellets can be enough to do this, but on top of this, little Magnum has had so much to cope with.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:27 am

hey guys just thought i'd update on magnums progress...so he's fine now. I'm not sure wot caused his upset belly. But he's eating and pooping fine now. He's back on his pellets. He has a few pellets, dandilion leafs and timothy hay every morning, all mixed up...althought he does dig to the bottom of the bowl to eat his pellets first! Laughing

And so far so good. Very Happy Thank god!
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Glad to hear he is okay - give him a kiss from me x
KatieB
KatieB