Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Florence is bored

+4
Thumper2001
KatieB
Sparky
icedancer
8 posters

Go down

Florence is bored Empty Florence is bored

Post by icedancer Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:50 pm

She hates not coming out, and now she's feeling better after her spay she is bored. She's started playing with the newspaper, going underneath it and tearing it up, which I wouldn't mind but she's only doing it in the toilet section, so when she then goes to the loo it's a big mess to clear up No

She's not allowed out until Friday, and by then she's going to be stir crazy!! What can I do to keep her occupied? She's got her ball, plenty of hay, toilet rolls, a piece of thick cardboard (that was a hope that she'd play with that rather than the newspaper), plus a towel she's been sitting on and has been digging at. She's right under a whole newspaper at the moment shredding it up No

I feel so sorry for her. If I go over to her she begs to be let out, but she jumps on top of everything so the vet has said no playtime until she goes back on Friday and gets signed off.

Help!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Florence is bored Empty Re: Florence is bored

Post by Sparky Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Is there somewhere you could let her out where she can't jump on things? Our humans let us have the run of the hall, landing and stairs when they want us to get a bit of indoor exercise without climbing everywhere.

We've had seven girls spayed and they were all allowed a bit more activity after only a couple of days, and the outdoor buns were back out after three or four days. I'm surprised you're having to keep her *that* confined for ten days...

In fact, Rosie (who is a Norty Bun) decided she was going to climb on things after the first day, even when our humans thought there was nothing she could possibly climb on Rolling Eyes and despite also having stitches in her lip.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Oh bless her - I bet its more painful for you though than it is for her.....

Your wee girlie certainly knows how to get you right where she wants you (Daisy has me in exactly the same place Laughing )

I dont know what to suggest im afraid! But I am sending her a cheeky nose rub!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Can't you do a little dance to amuse her? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:50 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Can't you do a little dance to amuse her? Laughing

I could put on some Beyonce on Youtube and do an impression!!! It might scare her though Laughing

She's allowed in the kitchen and hallway to run around normally, but it was when I told the vet how much she likes hopping and jumping about that made the vet say no to all playing out of her house. She does seriously high binkies (I think she has a secret trampoline on her feet) so I'd be worried even about that.

But yes she does have me well trained! I'm hoping that when "I'm a Celebrity" starts tonight she might get addicted so that will take her mind off it a bit Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:27 pm

When thumper was done. I was told to keep her in for 24 hours and then put her back out. That was a long time ago though....

Are you able to hold her and give her a cuddle? Or would she be off-ski?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:37 pm

spike was like that,the first day,she hoped around and was ok,then after that,she was up to mischief,when i saw her start to jump,thats when she went back in the cage Laughing
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 am

Thumper2001 wrote:When thumper was done. I was told to keep her in for 24 hours and then put her back out. That was a long time ago though....

Are you able to hold her and give her a cuddle? Or would she be off-ski?

I am thinking about this. My only worry is I couldn't do it on the sofa as her favourite game now is jumping on the back of it and jumping down so I think the temptation might just be too much for her.

This morning she was doing manic bunny 500s in the cage, so I'm worried she just has all this energy that if I was to sit on the floor with her she'd think "freedom" and leg it. She normally will sit on your lap for hours, but where she's been locked up I'm not sure she will.

I'm thinking about risking it and putting her in the hallway for ten mins or so, I just know I'd be furious with myself if something went wrong.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Rabbits do heal fast, and it's unlikely she'll do anything that causes her discomfort. If she's well enough to do laps of the cage, personally I'd let her have a slightly bigger area to run some energy off in Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 pm

I think I'm going to have to, she is currently sulking. I stupidly opened the front door to her house, and she tried to get out. I quickly shut it and now she's thumping at me, hoping off and turning her back if I try and stroke her and just generally having a sulk. If she's feeling well enough to do that she must be ok.

Little ***.

I'm leaving her to it. I tried to explain to her its the nasty vet but she wouldn't listen.

Sigh!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Did you let her out?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:24 pm

When I had Faline and Hazel done I kept them indoors for 24 hrs and then let them back in their hutch and run. I figured they wouldn't do anything to over excert themselves as it'd be painful. I monitored their poos and wees and to check if they were in pain and they were fine. You do what you feel is right for Florence, I'm sure a run up the hallway won't do her any harm Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm

I haven't, yet. But I think I might tomorrow as then it's been a week. She is not happy, when she realises I haven't either got food or am going to let her out she thumps at me! I did have a few kisses earlier, which was lovely.

I'm tempted now to be honest, she must wonder what on earth she's done wrong.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:28 pm

I would let her out just on the floor, cage of a small area, so she can't go too far and get too over excited!! I think i would be going crazy too being cooped up!! I'm pretty sure i let buttons out again as normal, 2-3 days after his opp! Like others say, they won't do anything that is going to hurt themselves!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:46 am

I gave in! I let her out in the hallway, just for 10 minutes or so. I was worried about picking her up in case she bolted and hurt her stitches so I used the pet carrier to get her there, and then back in her cage (she's very good at hoping into it).

She loved it! She done a couple of binkies and the honking sound at me. I think I've been forgiven. I'll give her a small playtime again tonight and tomorrow, then when she's got the all clear she can have full rein again.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I finally had a cuddle with her tonight Love She happily let me pick her up and we had a lovely hug. She then helped me wash up, well by helped I mean rubbing my legs while I was doing it, and bit me on the bum for sitting in her way afterwards Laughing I think she's happy again.

And, when I got back from the gym hubby informed me that he had had her out too Shocked He has never played with her while I've been out before. He even, apparently, set her up the cushions to the back of the sofa so she didn't jump up and down. I am really shocked!

She's now eating dinner, I gave her a nice mix of things for being such a good girl. I will however forget to mention all this to the vet on Friday Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 pm

If you did mention it, the vet would probably say it was OK. You both were careful and aware of what behaviour to stop. So no harm will have been done.

Glad she got a bit of playtime. She sounds such a lovely girl. Love Love
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Sometimes, I can't help but think what she would be like if she'd ended up as a bottom of the garden hutch bunny. She has been so loving and interested from when I adopted her, it would have been such a shame for her. She's interested in everything, even the hoover she watches.

I am so happy it was me that took her, as I benefit from it so much, and I like to think she does too. She loves playing, and loves people, so is a perfect house bunny, and she wouldn't have had that life. I guess she wouldn't have known any difference, but she would have been bored. But I suppose you can say that about any bunny that is in that situation.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:27 pm

It does make you wonder about all the thousands of wee bunnies who never get a chance to express their opinion. What a lovely surprise people would get if they would just open their eyes and give their lonely pet some attention. Sad
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 pm

I totally agree. I had a conversation with Florences vet about it and she said she gets so fed up with "my rabbit is boring" conversations. The bunnies I've had have all been fun, interesting little souls with their own personalities. I try not to think about it too much, or I'd end up with about 50, but every so often I do watch her and wonder what life her brother and sister have who were with her when I adopted her. Her sister had already been adopted, although Florence was collected first, but her brother hadn't, although he was described as being "a bit grumpy". Had things been different I'd have had him too!! But you wouldn't have been able to move in my tiny living room had I had two of everything!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Awww! I bet she had a great time Very Happy

'Your time has been served Florence, you are free to go' Laughing
Thumper2001