Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best wood panels for outside

3 posters

Go down

best wood panels for outside Empty best wood panels for outside

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Which is best for outside use (internal lining of playhouse) mdf or hardboard, I got the dearer stuff for charlie and hubby got the cheaper stuff, but ive noticed that the mdf is buckling a bit with the weather expanding it. Cant remember which one I got so who do I blame lol, so for next house need to use the right stuff to avoid this, I will fix charlies so they are pushed in and not sticking out, be a trip to b&q for metal flat braces/brackets to hold it flat. Also hubby wants to build a shelter over the houses with 2 solid walls, mesh front (coming from side then round the front, then paint the wood he was going to use hard board I think. I was thinking fencing would be better instead, its treated for outside use and is resonable priced, just bracket it to the brick wall for support then use a perspex roof he was wanting roofing felt but I am sure thats super expensive to buy on its own.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

best wood panels for outside Empty Re: best wood panels for outside

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:04 pm

If you are using it in the shed for lining the best is 4mm thick exterior ply we get our's from B&Q and they do all different sized sheets.

Dont use MDF or HARDBOARD outside as the damp will ruin it in days.

The rabbits will eat their way through the fencing if you are going to use that for the shelter, you can use sheets of exterior ply as they do lots of different thicknesses , Mike said he would use about 13mm thick as it's a bit stronger but it must be treated with a good safe wood stain especially on the edges or you could use tongue and groove but get a decent thick one from a good timber suppliers.

A roll of roof felt is about £20 a roll, or you could buy sheets of corrugated pvc for about £7 a sheet from B&Q.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Hubby is shouting at me lol, says its not buckling because its not the right stuff (I got it tho so its my mistake) its cos he didnt cut it as perfect as the rest, men lol.
I will get the outdoor hard wood from the builders b&q just sell the 1 kind in our local dont know if its exterier, it will get a stain, but dont think the outer area will be getting done anytime soon with this weather, cant stain it (protect) if wont stop raining, so will wait till the weather breaks a bit then do the outer sections. For the now as long as there houses are a bit more sheltered(moving them to another part of the garden it is better sheltered by the garage and the house, going to cover it too with something that blue stuff (soooo cant remember name of it lol) use some bricks to hold it down round the roofs just till its done, I am dreading the snow tho as this will have to be kept clear every day so the weight wont collapse the houses.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 pm

dizzylynn wrote:Hubby is shouting at me lol, says its not buckling because its not the right stuff (I got it tho so its my mistake) its cos he didnt cut it as perfect as the rest, men lol.
I will get the outdoor hard wood from the builders b&q just sell the 1 kind in our local dont know if its exterier, it will get a stain, but dont think the outer area will be getting done anytime soon with this weather, cant stain it (protect) if wont stop raining, so will wait till the weather breaks a bit then do the outer sections. For the now as long as there houses are a bit more sheltered(moving them to another part of the garden it is better sheltered by the garage and the house, going to cover it too with something that blue stuff (soooo cant remember name of it lol) use some bricks to hold it down round the roofs just till its done, I am dreading the snow tho as this will have to be kept clear every day so the weight wont collapse the houses.

Blue stuff...Tarpaulin Laughing

Have you got snow forecast? we are suppose to have snow on Monday, this time last year we had deep snow .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:07 pm

If you want a cheap sheet material that can be used outside, hudad says B&Q sell what's called OSB2 board. An 8'x4' sheet is just under £10 if you have a Tradepoint card. It's 10mm thick and he used it for our shed on a 3"x2" frame. The outside is painted with Sandtex masonry paint which we won't chew because we don't like the taste Suspect If you use this board, hudad says it must be treated or it will rot No
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Should have been blonde "Tarpaulin" how can I forget that eh.

Will have a look at the local store they have outside panels as well as wood in the building section will have a closer look when I am in.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down