Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pickle is Underweight

3 posters

Go down

Pickle is Underweight Empty Pickle is Underweight

Post by fluffiebunnie Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:30 am

Pickle went to the vets today for his myxi jab. He was weighed and he has lost a little bit (was 2.1 and now is 2.0). Vet said he feels his bones and could do with some fattening up and that he is underweight Sad .

Question is: why is he underweight? Am I not feeding enough? I know I cut right back on veggies and pellets when Twinkle had continuous mucky bum - am I still not feeding him enough now he is separate? I know I have given him less veggies than I used to because of Twinkle... its just I dont buy that much anymore...

At the moment he is getting as much hay as he wants and then a teaspoon of Oxbow pellets of a night... grass everyday and a treat of a bit of carrot or whatever veg I have occassionally.

Is this not enough? I have got some SS pellets at the vets today as those are his favourites and will start mixing a few of those in with his Oxbow, but I dont want to go from underfeeding him Embarassed to over feeding him...

Teeth were checked and no obvious signs that would indicate he is not eating due to those. He goes mad for food so dont think it is that.
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Pickle is Underweight Empty Re: Pickle is Underweight

Post by fluffiebunnie Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Anyone?
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:01 pm

I am always worried about underfeeding Evo - it's really hard, isn't it? He seems to maintain weight well - he has 3 tablespoons of Oxbow pellets, about 10 SS pellets and a teaspoon of oats every day, with unlimited hay. He can't eat veggies. He's a smallish lop, weighing around 2.5kg. I don't know if this helps.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:04 pm

I would probably increase his Oxbow Pellets a bit, not too much at first.
The dried grasses such as Readigrass have a high protein content and can help weightgain. Again, introducing this needs to be done very gradually.

The weightloss he has had is not really huge but if the Vet thinks he needs to put a bit on I'd start with the above suggestions.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffiebunnie Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks both!

I have today gone and got some spring greens... he loves these and not had them for a while as there is no where local that sells them. I have also upped his pellets a bit... will do things gradually.

He also did very well on SS so what I might do is get him changed over completely to those pellets over the next few weeks and keep Twinkle on the Oxbow as they suit her best...

Bunnies are such a worry!
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Maizey Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:18 am

My bunnies always loose weight in the Summer.Willow is 7kg at the moment and in March he was 7.65kg.Could you try giving your bun some porridge as thats meant to be good for putting weight on
Maizey
Maizey
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down