Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another new food - burgess

3 posters

Go down

Another new food - burgess Empty Another new food - burgess

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 am

Burgess last night said on their FB page that they were launching a new food. I have tracked down this piece on it -

Burgess Excel launches Excel Food Cube
2nd February 2012

Burgess Excel, makers of The Excel Feeding Plan for ‘fibrevores’, has launched a UK first with The Excel Food Cube – a complete food for fibrevores.

Rabbit and guinea pig owners can now feed a convenient and portion controlled all-in-one food that caters for their pets’ dental, digestive and emotional needs.

Burgess says these pets are known as fibrevores because they share a unique physiology which sets them apart from other small animals. Fibrevores have a very specific need for high fibre foods in their diet, without which their dental, digestive and emotional health suffers.

Justin Heaton, Head of Marketing for Burgess Pet Care, said: “Once again we are incredibly excited and proud to be launching a pioneering new product to the market. Our studies revealed foods labelled ‘complete’ are generally fed alone, without the hay necessary for fibrevores.

“As the UK’s leading veterinary brand for fibrevores, we felt obligated to create a truly healthy, 100% complete food to ensure that pets are being correctly fed. The additional beauty of this product is that it really drives home to fibrevore owners that hay IS food!”

The Excel Complete Food Cubes are a complete food for rabbits and guinea pigs. They consist of compressed cubes of long-fibre Timothy hay for dental and digestive health; high-fibre tasty nuggets with short fibre, supplements and prebiotics; topped with flowers and herbs.

Added Justin: “There has always been strong debate as to whether any one food alone can be classed as ‘complete’ for these pets. Many foods on the market currently labelled ‘complete’ only meet the nutritional needs of these pets, because, historically in the world of dog and cat food, that’s all a complete food needs to cater for.

“72% of vets say that any food labelled as ‘complete’ for fibrevores should cover dental, digestive and emotional health. To be just ‘nutritionally complete’ is not enough, because diet accounts for so much more in keeping these pets alive and healthy.”

The product will be available in March, but more information and pre-orders can be taken from local Burgess representatives.

Back to top Go down

Another new food - burgess Empty Re: Another new food - burgess

Post by Jay Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 am

Damn, you've just pinched my scoop for HM Laughing (joshing)

I've been in contact with Burgess about this over the last few weeks, and there's gonna be a big promo on it over the next few weeks.

I dunno - part of me thinks this going down the road of vegetarian cat food with supplemented meat enzyme.. it doesn' actually fulfil the needs of the cat, in providing food in it's raw state, that the animal is designed to eat - and expects to eat.

The bear loves his food, and the variety of it. More importantly, he gets to choose what he eats and when. I can spread out a whole range of herbs, veg, grass and wild leaves etc. on the floor, and he'll hop around, having a litte bit of mint, then some spring green, then parsley...you get the drift.

For people on a low income, or are struggling to keep up with the finnancial needs of their rabbit - this food maybe better than the bun being re-homed, but I'd need to break down the costs of the two diets- natural and cube - and see which is cheaper- something to do for HM maybe - interested?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:21 am

Absolutely I am interested. I am also wondering how this compares to the new super expensive supreme food. Bruce and Flo love the new supreme stuff but the pigs eat it only as a last resort - they are not big commercial food eaters anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 am

humm well its definatly different...im not 100% though! Like Stewie, Buttons loves his variety of food and also loves his hay!! I just worry this will be a bit of a cop out food for owners who don't really care! They can just say well he is nutritionally and emotionally complete/happy because thats what the food says! Hmmm

I would be very interested in your research Jay and Cheryl! definatly a HM article i feel!! Thumbs Up
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Hmmm - not 100% convinced either. It will be interesting to see how these cubes will be marketed for catering for dental needs.

I am of the understanding that hay and grass are by far and away the best foods for managing the wear of rabbit molars. I use a small amount of Oxbow pellets with our buns - these are spaghetti shaped and sized which I believe is the optimum shape for processed rabbit food. I wonder how big these cubes will be?

All ours too enjoy a wide choice of herbs and veg and knowing what I know now I would not want to feed these to them.

I can see they will appeal to the less well informed.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down