Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vetergesic

5 posters

Go down

Vetergesic Empty Vetergesic

Post by JoeyBunsMum Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:14 am

Anyone have any experience of this stuff? Just remembered Joey was given a dose today at the vets and having Googled it, seen it's a morphine related painkiller Shocked

I'm now wondering if this is something to do with his spaced out/statue behaviour to ight.

Any input would be appreciated.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Vetergesic Empty Re: Vetergesic

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:11 am

It could well be hun thinking about it logically. I really dont know though.

I hope he is doing better x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am

Definitely why he's spaced out.

A lot of vets tend to give it at the start of a stasis episode, which seems a good idea as it's a strong painkiller, but then if you are trying to temp them to food then they are just out of it which is counterproductive.

I've had two recent instances of rabbits with stasis out of hours that have gone to the local vets and stayed a few days, on the day they come home they've been given vetergesic and are out of it when I've wanting them to eat well which seems daft to me as they shouldn't have needed a strong painkiller at that time and it's side-effects are bad news to a rabbit just coming out of stasis.

I hate the side-effects of Vetergesic but it is commonly used in the first instance when a strong painkiller is needed. It also goes under a few other names such as Bupracare, Bupramorph etc (spellings might not be right).

Oh and in answer to the original question - I wish vets would warn people of the possible side-effects because you naturally think it's symptoms of the rabbit's illness and it really worries me seeing them like that.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 am

Yes we use it a lot, it's a brilliant painkiller but it does knock them out a bit, I didn't know Joey was on it but now I know why he seemed spaced out.

I do agree with Big Ears that vet's should warn people about Vetergesic's side effects so they know what to expect .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Oh! Well, that sounds like that expains the spaced out behaviour.
It does seem a little counterproductive, but I guess each bun reacts differently and you have to take note if ever it comes to it again.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Big Ears wrote:Definitely why he's spaced out.

A lot of vets tend to give it at the start of a stasis episode, which seems a good idea as it's a strong painkiller, but then if you are trying to temp them to food then they are just out of it which is counterproductive.

I've had two recent instances of rabbits with stasis out of hours that have gone to the local vets and stayed a few days, on the day they come home they've been given vetergesic and are out of it when I've wanting them to eat well which seems daft to me as they shouldn't have needed a strong painkiller at that time and it's side-effects are bad news to a rabbit just coming out of stasis.

I hate the side-effects of Vetergesic but it is commonly used in the first instance when a strong painkiller is needed. It also goes under a few other names such as Bupracare, Bupramorph etc (spellings might not be right).

Oh and in answer to the original question - I wish vets would warn people of the possible side-effects because you naturally think it's symptoms of the rabbit's illness and it really worries me seeing them like that.

Thanks for this info. The vet didn't mention anything about it affecting his behaviour, and as you say when they sit there sitting looking vacant it's pretty worrying. Do you know how long the effects last?

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm

If Joey has had 1 jab it should last about 12 hours so he should be ok by now unless he has had another jab.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum