Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi

+3
Tuckerbunnies
Sparky
Dotdot
7 posters

Go down

Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi Empty Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi

Post by Dotdot Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Since Tigger now possibly has e.cuniculi I've been reading up on it. I see that the spores are carried in the wee so any accidents I need to clean up immediately and food ideally shouldn't be put on the floor near where wee has been.

What should I use?
I currently have the Johnson's clean and safe disinfectant but I'm not sure if that's powerful enough?

I know vinegar is a good cleaner but I'm not sure if it actually kills the bacteria and spores.

What do you guys use or recommend?

I read a couple of people/sites recommending bleach - but is that not a bit extreme Shocked pale

Last edited by Dotdot on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi Empty Re: Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:53 pm

A weak solution of bleach is best. Apparently it is the most effective at killing the spores.

Back to top Go down

Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi Empty Re: Disinfectant to eradicate e.cuniculi

Post by Dotdot Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Very interesting.
Seems it was mentioned at a RWAF conference a few years ago? If anyone has any info of this or where I can find it that would me amazing!

Apparently a thorough clean is needed on days 21 and 28.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Are you a RWAF member? Richard Saunders was very helpful with our pasteurella. I wonder if you might even be able to get copies of any papers they have on E Cuniculi.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm not yet, keep meaning to but I keep forgetting to as my brain is always elsewhere No . I MUST join tonight!!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:24 pm

I have found these websites for you, hope I don't upset you with them but thought every lit bit of knowledge helps.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.htm ( Warning: video of rabbit with clinical signs of E.Cuniculi may be upsetting to some)

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks so much Maysie, that really helps.
I completely agree, every little bit of knowledge helps and I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it and what to do.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:04 pm

on the wonk forum for all things e.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks Cheryl, just joined and posted a huge message. Time to get used to the website as it's quite different to the forum layout!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:46 pm

They are good and quite an active forum. They will give you lots of good advice. I joined just to pick up information some time ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Bleach really is the best cleaner for EC eradication, it's not as extreme as it sounds, you just have to rinse and air well after use.

When we had a suspected coccidia infection we had to clean everything with Jeyes fluid....now that is some nasty stuff. pale
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:39 am

F10 vet grade works, you can buy it on amazon, bit pricey but the bottle lasts for a while.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 pm

I clean my hutches and waterbottles with Milton. It is used to sterilise baby bottles so I figured it was safe for animals too. I've been using it for over a year now and nobun has been ill. I've just bought a second hand hutch and drenched it in Milton before scrubbing it and repainting it.

Milton is bleach by the way Smile I hope this helps you?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Brilliant, thanks! I was about to ask what sort of bleach lol
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 pm

You can get it in the baby isle of supermarkets and chemists, it is so cheap too. It comes in tablet form which you dilute in water. I break the tablets up and put the required amount in a spray bottle. I find the commercial pet cleaning sprays catch in my throat and I almost choke on them, but the Milton doesn't do that it just has a very mild bleach smell.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am

Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down