Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!

+6
Tuckerbunnies
Amelia66
KatieB
Sparky
fiver
gentl
10 posters

Go down

Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!  Empty Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!

Post by gentl Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Fellow Hoppers,

The following story is true. My husband saw it and told me. I pulled it off the FOX-News website. I would have just provided the link, but even with high-speed internet the page took over 2 minutes to load because of it's complexity and multiple stories. I've spoken before about 'rabbits seen as livestock' here in the USA before. This time it is an old law being used to manipulate a family. Using a gentle, child's pet such as a quiet rabbit as leverage in a court case is wrong on so many levels. There is a petition to sign against this happening to the beautiful agouti Flemish Giant named "Sandy". It is open to people world wide for signatures. It was started by Hopalong Hollow Rabbit Rescue in New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!  Kayden-1

From FOX-News: A 7-year-old Connecticut girl will lose her 20-pound pet rabbit if North Haven, Connecticut, USA officials get their way.
Zoning Enforcement Officer Arthur Hausman issued a cease-and-desist order to the Lidsky family two weeks ago, informing them that they were violating town zoning regulations because their property was smaller than the 2 acres required to keep rabbits and other types of livestock.
More than 1,800 people have signed an online petition demanding that town officials allow Kayden Lidsky to keep the 3-year-old Flemish giant rabbit named Sandy. Kayden's father, Josh Lidsky, has vowed to appeal the order and is angered that town officials have upset his daughter.
"I don't want the bunny to go," Kayden Lidsky said, according to the petition on change.org.

Kayden says of her Flemish Giant Sandy: "She's not a mean bunny. She doesn't bite people. She only licks."

North Haven First Selectman Michael Freda said town officials are not trying to take the bunny away from the girl, but are instead trying to get Josh Lidsky to respond to neighbors' complaints about blighted conditions on his property.
In May, town officials inspected the property and asked Lidsky to take several actions, including removing the rabbit hutch, replacing missing siding on his house and repairing an unfinished addition.

Lidsky says he's appealing Hausman's order about the rabbit to the town's Zoning Board of Appeals, but he's willing to clean up his yard.
"The whole story is about my daughter and the bunny," Lidsky told the New Haven Register. "That is hitting below the belt. I want the bunny to stay on the property, for my daughter's sake."

Linda Thibault, president of the Hopalong Hollow animal rescue service in Norwalk, started the online petition on change.org.
"The situation with North Haven's zoning is ridiculous," she told the Register. "We're not talking about a breeder or multiple rabbits. We're talking about one pet bunny who is obviously beloved and well-cared for.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Please consider signing this petition. I've read what some of the other people that have signed have said. Some of the comments are...um...interesting to say the least.

The article in entirety is at:
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/10/connecticut-girl-7-to-lose-giant-pet-rabbit-if-town-officials-get-their-way/?cmpid=cmty_%7BlinkBack%7D_Connecticut_town_threatens_to_take_overgrown_pet_bunny_from_girl%2C_7#ixzz23G8j64oo
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!  Empty Re: Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!

Post by fiver Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 pm

holly that is so awful of the officials can't find the petition to sign but gladly would

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!  Empty Re: Please Help SAVE pet-bunny considered livestock!

Post by Sparky Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:19 pm

I've found the link for the petition

This situation is farcical - the family have every right to demand that the same rule is applied to everyone in town with less than two acres and a single rabbit, and where would that leave them No

And what right do the neighbours have to complain about his property? Our garden is a tip at the moment but the neighbours understand that it is a work in progress and the daughter of the guy over the back who had the cheek to make a snotty comment got the sharp side of next-door's daughters tongue on the Hu-parents behalf Twisted Evil (We love our next-door neighbours).

Bunch of bullies Mad
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:34 pm

thanks sparky Thumbs Up
i was on that same page and missed the form on the left Shocked
told you i'm high Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
petition signed Very Happy

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Love Love Thank you for that link Sparky! The meds I'm on from my surgery are making it difficult to think. Love Love
Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Signed!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Done Very Happy
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:01 am

Signed Thumbs Up

Hope the little girl get's to keep her beautiful bunny and her parents win the lottery and they can move away from their nasty nosy neighbours, I know what it's like to have
nasty trouble causing neighbours Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 pm

done
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Many thanks folks! Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm

I just signed as well. What a horrible situation. Hope this poor little girl is able to keep her beautiful bunny. Sad
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Ridiculous! The world just astounds me sometimes. Signed.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Signed.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down