Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible

+5
Sparky
Zo
Dotdot
KatieB
RWAF
9 posters

Go down

Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible Empty Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible

Post by RWAF Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 pm

We have let the BBC / Blue Peter know what we think about rabbits being dressed up, and carried in a tonic immobolity stance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m2gj6 watch from 27.30 mins - dreadful.

If you would also like to complain here is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ - for anyone that doesn't know - placing a rabbit on to his / her back provokes a fear response which makes them play dead. They are not 'relaxed' nor in a 'trance', they are terrified. We do not want Blue Peter to encourage children to terrify their rabbits, nor to dress them up as though they were toys. We encourage the pairing up of rabbits, in neutered pairs or compaitible groups, but not in the manner proposed in the clip. Let's hope we can stop this before it goes out.

Likewise the latest episode of QI had Stephen Fry and co discussing tonic immobility in various species, including rabbits. This can be found here beginning at 3.27 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wwrgt/QI_Series_H_Hypnosis_Hallucinations_and_Hysteria/ Please also let the BBC know that this is unacceptable and request that they issue a statement on QI at the very next opportunity to say that it is not a 'trick' that should be attempted.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible Empty Re: Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Ros do you have the date of this programme and time? I will certainly be complaining!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible Empty Re: Rabbit Weddings to be broadcast on Blue Peter - and horrible

Post by Dotdot Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 pm

I saw the QI episode, something tells me that I've seen it before, possibly a repeat?

I think I missed the bit about rabbits, I saw the bit about chickens and lobsters. What I did hear was Ronni Ancona stating how rabbits are vicious and aggressive and not very good pets Mad
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm

The last thing they should be showing on a kids show is rabbits being dressed up like that, how about showing how to responsibly look after a rabbit instead
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Humum had this to say to the Beeb:

Blue Peter's trailer for an upcoming 'rabbit wedding' shows rabbits in completely the wrong way. They are not toys to be dressed up and paraded in front of a crowd. They are prey animals, naturally nervous of unexpected noise and often very wary of being held at all. One of the rabbits was being held in a 'trance' position which is incredibly dangerous. The rabbit is not asleep, it is so convinced that it has been caught by a predator that it is playing dead and under extreme stress. It is not uncommon for rabbits held in this position to die from a heart attack. The position should only be used in extreme emergencies, when the rabbit must have urgent attention for its own welfare.
Rabbits are the third most popular, but the most neglected pets in this country. Too many people do not understand their true requirements. Blue Peter is so trusted by so many children that to show this item could lead to a rush to the pet shops and more rabbits being owned by people who do not really know how to care for them.
Please, please work with the RWAF to produce a segment (or even a series) about what rabbits really need to ensure that those which are already owned by your viewers may have a better life, and any that are taken on as a result of the programme will be cared for properly. It would be wonderful if you could influence the next generation of rabbit owners in a very positive way and improve the lives of thousands of rabbits in this country.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Sparky wrote:Humum had this to say to the Beeb:

Blue Peter's trailer for an upcoming 'rabbit wedding' shows rabbits in completely the wrong way. They are not toys to be dressed up and paraded in front of a crowd. They are prey animals, naturally nervous of unexpected noise and often very wary of being held at all. One of the rabbits was being held in a 'trance' position which is incredibly dangerous. The rabbit is not asleep, it is so convinced that it has been caught by a predator that it is playing dead and under extreme stress. It is not uncommon for rabbits held in this position to die from a heart attack. The position should only be used in extreme emergencies, when the rabbit must have urgent attention for its own welfare.
Rabbits are the third most popular, but the most neglected pets in this country. Too many people do not understand their true requirements. Blue Peter is so trusted by so many children that to show this item could lead to a rush to the pet shops and more rabbits being owned by people who do not really know how to care for them.
Please, please work with the RWAF to produce a segment (or even a series) about what rabbits really need to ensure that those which are already owned by your viewers may have a better life, and any that are taken on as a result of the programme will be cared for properly. It would be wonderful if you could influence the next generation of rabbit owners in a very positive way and improve the lives of thousands of rabbits in this country.

well said
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 pm

I've complained and made suggestions along similar lines. Fingers crossed.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:44 pm

I've also complained, very similar and requested a reply.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 pm

They are no more than toys to those children and it's disgusting I can feel a very long letter coming on...yet again!!!! No

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 am

I sent:

I live in the USA(love BBCA BTW) but news has reached my ears of a show Blue Peter that will be showing rabbits being placed in and being carried in a 'tranced' state. This is morally wrong and grossly irresponsible.

Rabbits are prey animals and as such will have paralysis when placed on their backs. Though that makes them look 'relaxed', they are in fact playing dead. It is in their instinct. It greatly stresses the rabbit's system and heart attacks can result in the rabbit. The fact that people, especially children, may imitate this behavior causing the death or serious injury to the rabbit. The thing is, when a rabbit has a heart attack there may not be any external signs at all. But the rabbit's life will be greatly shortened.

I was also told of the rabbits being dressed up like toys. Again, children and even an adult may try this and it could eaisly lead to tragedy. Rabbits actually have a very fragile muscular-skeletal system and fractures to the rabbit's limbs and spine can happen quite easily.

Please reconsider airing this show, If you must do so, PLEASE make statements as to the fact that these things should not ever be tried at home. I know that here in the USA the animal cruelty organizations would make quite a fuss.

Thank you for your time.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Just shocking. I've complained. Here's hoping they pull it.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down