Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Set up for the girls

+2
FluffSlave
SarahJane
6 posters

Go down

Set up for the girls Empty Set up for the girls

Post by SarahJane Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Okay, so...last night we had an incident that has made me realise poor Domino will never go back outside. I scared him by not saying "hello" as I walked into the conservatory and he went ballistic. He darted around, banged into his litter tray and started breathing really rapidly. He then went all wobbly and fell over (he seems to revert to his E.C like ways when hes frightened, wobbly etc) and I had to hold him until he calmed down. He was okay, but it took ages to calm him down. He isnt going to be able to live outside again, im 90% sure of it. He just cant cope.

Luckily for me, Mum has said he can live indoors. We did have a discussion where she said maybe as horrible as it is, I would have to consider rehoming him if we cant find a suitable house, but we have so were lucky. She gave him a cuddle and said "you can be a house honey bunny" Love Laughing so she really was thinking last resort.

But that leaves the question...what about the girls? I have a shed set up now as you all know, but were not going to be able to get it into the new house because theres no side gate, and Mum said its not worth it, because it has started to go a bit rotten at the back (it was bought in....2009 i think?). So weve been talking about new sheds etc. And Mum has made the point that if Domino is never going back outside, would a large hutch and run be better?

This makes me feel horrible, because they are used to so much space. She also said its going to be easier for me to clean, because it would be less bending down as we would get a combi where the hutch is higher up. I just feel like Im demoting them or something, it feels mean

Do you think they would hate it, having had that set up for three years?
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Set up for the girls Empty Re: Set up for the girls

Post by FluffSlave Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm not sure how fair/unfair it would be to go to a hutch now, but in terms of making things easier for you to clean I can't see how a hutch would be easier than a shed?

A shed allows you to stand up fully and walk around, whereas in a hutch you have to kneel down, scrape things out and work between awkward doors and spaces.

So happy to hear that mr Domino can be a house bunny though! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Because if you get the hutch and run combo where the hutch is on top of the run, you dont have to bend down. And I struggle with bending down.

If I can get their shed in the garden somehow i will try, aparantly we may have right of access through our neighbours garden so I may be able to get it in there that way. will have to ask them. Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Oh I see Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:07 pm

I imagine with those hutches that sit on top of the run is going to be more difficult, especially if you have a large run, because your going to have to lean over it to clean the hutch out (if that makes sense!).

I can see how a taller hutch would be easier though. I guess it depends how much your willing to spend, but you could always have a tall hutch inside an aivery. Then you would be able to clean teh aivery style run without bending down much and the hutch could be on legs and make it easy for you to clean out. Im sure you could come up with something suitable. I can see how you feel mean, but if/when my parents seperate (its complicated!) then Mum has already said Marley and Dolly might have to go back into a hutch Sad
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Thats true actually! Both are probably going to be a bit of a pain haha.

We are going to have a look around and see what we can get for the money. Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:28 pm

could you get a higher hutch like you said, and instead of having the run in front of the hutch have it behind, that way it won't block your access to the hutch
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Yeh that was my thinking actually! Makes more sense doesnt it! Not sure what we will do yet.Have to look at the options.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:57 am

I've seen several hutches that the living quarters were elevated with a small run underneath and then there was an attached roofed run out one side so there was ample access. They also could close the attached run off. Unfortunately I don't remember where i saw them. Sad
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am

Oh trust me, the rescue I volunteer at has 2 last resort hutch an run combos and they are a NIGHTMARE to clean. I ache all over when I'm done from contorting into the run to clean it and one you can't even get in so I crawl hands and knees and hope for the best Laughing

In our shed I have a brush and dustpan but on long handles so you can easily sweep up the floor standing up - can you find one of those?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down