Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GI Slowdown? NEED MORE FIBRE

+2
FluffSlave
marleyNfriends
6 posters

Go down

GI Slowdown? NEED MORE FIBRE Empty GI Slowdown? NEED MORE FIBRE

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:43 am

Marley and Dollys poos are very small, and a little hard, but they are still crumbling when i crush them, although you can clearly see thay arent as fibrous as they should be.

They had been on that vilmie hay, which made their poos quite dark, so i finally managed to get hold of some farm hay last Tuesday. They have very few pellets and i have cut their veggies down to try and encourage them to eat more hay. I would usually fill their rack twice a day, but yesterday was the first time i had to top it up in 2-3 days. They are picking at their hay, but they usually sit in their tray for hours munching. I have tried putting it in boxes and toys etc. They dont seem to be drinking AS much water, whereas Dolly was drinking an awful lot before. They have a good appetite though and will eat anything i give them, and are otherwise active when i let them out on a night, they just arent getting enough fibre.

I cant work out if its just one of them, or both of them, as all their poos are the same, and i cant tell from watching them. Ive put Pro C in their water, but how can i get them to eat more hay again? They were real hay monsters until a few weeks ago, and now they wont touch the farm hay. Im going to get their deeper litter tray out today and chuck their pellet ration in with their hay and some forage etc, does anyone think its worth getting some fibreplex? I dont think its worth a vet trip yet, however if they improve and them go backwards again, ill take them in.

What do you think? They dived straight in for hay last night, but still no change in their poop.

marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

GI Slowdown? NEED MORE FIBRE Empty Re: GI Slowdown? NEED MORE FIBRE

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

Maybe they don't like the farm hay? Is it the same stuff as they had before you started them on the Vilmie stuff?

I know my two will just completely ignore the bale hay I have for my guinea pigs and chinchillas. And Willow is also a hay monster...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

So they're coming round to the farm hay now? Maybe they weren't impressed with the change.

Cheryl introduced me to Fiba First which is by supreme pet foods and helps poo here. It was about £2.89 for a box.

I know what you mean about poo, I can't tell the difference between my two either which is really unhelpful!!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 pm

You have probably done this but try different types of hay, the hay Experts to do sample packs of hay http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/hay-grasses.html?hay_type=11
which is good.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

i'd say the same as maysie or trying what you said mixing some herbs or dred leaves mixed in for foreging

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm

I hope they are better love.

hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Dotdot wrote:So they're coming round to the farm hay now? Maybe they weren't impressed with the change.

Cheryl introduced me to Fiba First which is by supreme pet foods and helps poo here. It was about £2.89 for a box.

I know what you mean about poo, I can't tell the difference between my two either which is really unhelpful!!

I ordered some fibafirst, and some fiberplex today - even if i dont use it, its good to have on hand. Ive got their deeper stogage box from out of the shed and chucked everything in before i went out today, and they were sat in there munching when i came home, and they seem a bit more active. As per usual, ive spoken too soon, but they had been worrying me for a fair while before i posted this.

Do you feed the fibafirst regularly? How do you feed it? I know its expensive for the amount you get, so i dont think i can afford to feed that alone, however i have heard lots of good things about it. How do you calculate amounts?

Maysie, i have mixed a bit of everything that i have into their forage box. I have seen the samples on THE but i didnt want to order them because to buy the hay on its own is expensive - i didnt want to give them something that i couldnt afford to maintain.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I just feed a few sticks as and when really. It seems to help as a supplement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Same as Cheryl, as and when it's needed as a treat. I give 1 stick.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Dotdot wrote:Same as Cheryl, as and when it's needed as a treat. I give 1 stick.

Someone else i know feeds it daily. Im not sure what to do, it is pricey as a daily feed, but i dont think one or 2 a day would bankrupt me.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah I think it could be pricey as a daily thing.
I don't feed it daily as they normally do fine it's just sometimes they need a little extra boost so they get it as a treat. Might give them one each tonight actually.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down