Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red wee?

5 posters

Go down

Red wee? Empty Red wee?

Post by KathyT Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:51 pm

I know that eating dandelions is notorious for causing red wee in rabbits - I just want to double check exactly what it looks like. I was emptying out the litter tray earlier on, and in the "wet" corner the shavings were all stained bright red, but it didn't look very thick or sticky. I know they were chomping on some dandelions yesterday but can anyone say whether this sounds normal or not?

Thanks!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Red wee? Empty Re: Red wee?

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Sounds normal.

The thing to look for is red bits in a puddle of otherwise normal coloured urine because that normally indicates splashes of blood. Thick or sticky urine is usually caused by excessive calcium and normally looks white or chalky. Thicker wee from dehydration is usually a more concentrated orange colour.

Rowan used to have red/rust orange wee pretty consistantly and we never found out what it was he ate that caused it though I remember a condition in old rabbit keeping books called 'red water' which claimed to be something to do with the kidneys? Hmmm
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Is it safe for them to carry on eating dandelions do you think? They both look pretty happy, and they do love 'em!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:41 am

Mine used to get it after eating beetroot. So red I thought it was blood.

It is normal for urine to range from pale yellow to dark rusty brown in bunnies so unless he is in any pain passing it or it looks particularly thick or has traces of blood I shouldn't worry Smile
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:07 am

A small amount of dandelions as part of a varied diet is fine Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 am

fudge has orange/red shades of piddle-i've seen him when he first piddles and it is nice and normal pale urine but the vet said that it does react with the air which changes its colour.

with fudge when I first noticed the change I did take him to the vets, Matt had a feel and did prescribed ABs for him as his bladder felt a little hard.

from my experience with Fudge I always go with my gut instinct as to whether I need to get him checked by the vet and although I keep thinkng the Vet will think I am a paranoid parent on every occassion so far I have done the right thing by getting him checked as he hasn't been right whether a urine infection, ear infection or the nasty problems with had with his teeth!

so remember Mummy knows best! Thumbs Up
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetcheeksemma Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:27 am

I was bunsitting Jades my best mate] bun, Jaffa, and she had red wee.
I wasnt feeding her anything differnent than usual but she started to have red wee. I called up the vets once my friend was back and she said that Jaffa has an infected bladder and its not serious but if it continues then take Jaffa in.
Try calling your vet and you can get advice like me and Jade did.
Hope it all goes well for you!

Emma x
sweetcheeksemma
sweetcheeksemma
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content