Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't my bunnies like me?

+4
Kay
Sixer
racheld69
KathyT
8 posters

Go down

Why don't my bunnies like me? Empty Why don't my bunnies like me?

Post by KathyT Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 am

No seriously, they don't! They'll happily wander over after a while if I sit quietly by the run and sniff at me a bit, they'll come running when I shake the food bag (especially Truffles - greedy bun!) and some times Truffles will sit on my lap and let me groom him, but they both absolutely HATE it when I pick them up to go into their outside run. They kick, and run away as I try to pick them up and then wriggle like crazy as I carry them round to the orchard.

I love them both to bits, but they really seem not to think too much of me. No Crying or Very sad Am I a lousy bunny mum? What am I doing wrong?
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Why don't my bunnies like me? Empty Re: Why don't my bunnies like me?

Post by racheld69 Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:57 am

You are not a bad bunny mummy! Bunnies don't like being picked up - as they are prey animals their instincts tell them that being picked up is dangerous/not good ie they are going to be eaten. So is not you at all.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:16 am

They don't not like you, not at all.

Apart from Herbie, none of our six like being picked up. BJ and Hollie will try to escape and Rosie goes terrified rigid when we hold her. Silly mare - you think she would have learnt by now that we are generally taking her to her run. Gabriel has stopped boxing us when we go to pick him up but he doesn't really like it and Nia tends to go scared on us too.

Your bunnies are just following their natural instincts. You could try using a carrier to transport them if this would make you and/or them feel happier.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 am

You sound like you have a good relationship with your bunnies to be honest. They know they can come to you and the fact that you are allowed to groom them is a plus!

It takes a long time to build up a relationship. My bun Arthur has put me through hell but we now understand each other and building our bond too.

Don't be downhearted you are doing all the right things.
Kay
Kay
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks guys - that's such a relief! I was terrified that they were freaking out because I was hurting them or something. They're pretty mad at me at the moment because I was away at the weekend so MIL has been watching them, and they were MOST disapproving when I came home - there was a definite "And just where have you been?" attitude! Laughing
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:56 am

I have found it really hard with Bella as she cannot stand being picked up - my old bunny Harvey was a real cuddle bunny and was happy to be picked up and cuddled and he'd come and lie in my arms every evening and gave me lots of bunny kisses. Bella hates being picked up, to the point where I don't ever pick her up now, except if I have to put her in her carrier to go to the vet - though even then usually I'll throw a treat into it and she'll go in herself. I've accepted that she just doesn't like it and have made it as easy as possible so I don't have to - her cage and pen are on the floor she I open the door and she lets herself in and out. She's not terribly bothered about being fussed either, but she will come to me in the evening and let me stroke her, and I now feel quite honoured as she doesn't have to do that but chooses to.

Tarquin on the other hand is fine being picked up and cuddled - I think he's always relieved to be put back down, but he lets me, but again not in the way Harvey used to. But he will come and spend a lot of time in the evenings lying next to me and loves being stroked.

I think having bunnies trusting you and being happy to come and get stroked or sit on your lap - however briefly - is a very special thing, and I think I appreciate it all the more for knowing that it's not really natural for them to want to do that.
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:13 pm

You're not a bad bunny mum at all, they are just exercising bunny caution. We couldn't touch Bertie for the best part of 9 months, and had to focebaly get him for grooms etc. We'd resigned ourselves that he wasn't gonna be that sort of a pet, but then he just mellowed and now he can't get enough affection, but then, he's a loner, and your buns have each other, which ideally I'd prefer for Berts Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:31 pm

I wonder if house bunnies are more affectionate generally? Because they see humans in all situations and really share your lives, they see you as less of a threat and more as a giant bunny? Laughing

I'd love Tibbler and Truffles to be house bunnies, but I don't trust the cats really. I had them hopping around in my living room the other day and they loved it - Truffles was definitely watching the telly!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Laughing bless him! Bertie is a bit of a Telly addict! I think that there could be truth in what you say, as h/buns do live with and around you, and with a loner, they only have you to copy, fit in wit, and be sociable with. I'd still prefer him to have a boyf. or similar..but I think that I 'd always prefer housebuns Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Carlton is massively affectionate, he's very demanding when it comes to attention but I'm totally prepared for this to change when he gets married, I'm sure I'll be pushed aside for a new love. Crying or Very sad Laughing
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2356
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Oh bless! Laughing I can just imagine Carlton and Bertie with little friends :luv:

Tibbs and Truffles will probably be coming in for a visit this evening - Monday is cleaning out day and it's too grim to set up the run I think. But most of the time Mozart the cat definitely rules the roost in our house though, and I don't think he'd be very good at sharing with bunnies. I never thought I'd be enslaved by a cat at the age of just 26! Laughing
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Hiya, my buns doesn't like being picked up either - if you lucky, can pick him up with a blanket (everyone else but us seems to manage it lol) but he soon wriggles. However he comes up and sits beside you, nudges you if he wants a fuss or follows you. I was worried at first cos I'd love to pick him up more, esp for my daughter to be able to cuddle him but I accept he just isn't that keen the devil xx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down