Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!!

+4
Thumper2001
KatieB
Sparky
FluffSlave
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!! Empty Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!!

Post by FluffSlave Sun May 19, 2013 6:13 pm

My sister has moved back home, and is needing a bedroom. At the moment she's temporarily in my mum's bed, but obviously that can't continue. Out of the four bedrooms in our house, my animals take up two Embarassed

So, I've decided rather than cram them all into one room which wouldn't really work, I could try the bunnies outside?

I am totally clueless about keeping outdoor buns. Willow has been an indoor bunny all her life and if I'm honest, I'm a little bit worried about moving her out. Mojo was outdoors in his foster home.

I was thinking a shed/playhouse and run set up, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I shall miss them indoors but it won't be too different, it will just mean instead of going to the bunny room I go out to the shed.

Thanks guys Hugs

Last edited by FluffSlave on Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!! Empty Re: Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!!

Post by Sparky Sun May 19, 2013 6:22 pm

They'll probably love it, especially at this time of year Thumbs Up

How big a shed and run can you fit in? The bigger the shed, the more levels and hidey-holes you can get in it while leaving plenty of play space. Do you need to put slabs down for the run? (I wouldn't put it on grass, but put tubs and trays of grass and herbs in the run for them.)
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!! Empty Re: Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!!

Post by FluffSlave Sun May 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Our garden has no grass Sparky Sad

I'm not 100% how big the space we were considering is, but mum says it's bigger than the room they're in at the moment. It's on a bit of wooden decking, not sure if this would be comfy for them? It's also been painted blue so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be nibble-safe.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun May 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Shed and run combo is deffo the way to go I think hunni. Now is deffo the best time of year to do a move like this.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I agree! Couldn't have been timed better!!

Good luck with it all Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Grass grows quick in tubs - we have some coming on nicely Smile

Decking will be fine for them, probably comfier and certainly warmer than concrete. Bear in mind they might tend to toilet outside of their hutch or shed - several of ours only toilet in their runs and never / rarely in their indoor trays. If you want to avoid poop / widdle on the decking, get a cheap hutch or shelter for in the run and put a litter tray in it for them - Rosie and Dougal have my old 4' indoor hutch as their run shelter. Roo loves sunbathing on top of it too.

Give them plenty of tasty stuff to chew and they probably won't nibble the decking.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 am

The bigger the setup the better and bunny proofing the garden is a priority. Ours isnt properly bunny proofed and I hate not being able to let them run around freely, its something that really bothers me.

I would start to increase their outdoor time, and if you have a lawn, introduce them to the grass gradually and things. Basically just slowly let them get used to everything, including the temperatures. I was always told that 8 degrees c outside on a night is acceptable to move indoor bunnies out 24/7, i think this is important for your two as they arent used to living outdoors full time.

Marley and Dolly love being indoors, as they have lots of space to binky, but they equally love being outside, and get so excited to see me, plus they have more space more of the time. Just keep an eye on their weights Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am

I got a play house for mine, a good strong quality made 1 tho, not a cheap one. As long as you move them out when temps are up since they ont have a winter coat.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Thank you for all of the advice guys. I'm quite looking forward to it - Mojo definitely prefers being outdoors I think, but I'm still a bit worried about my Willow going out there full time. I'm leaving the window open when I'd normally shut it etc in their room, trying to adjust them to life in the brutal outdoors! Laughing

Sparky wrote:Grass grows quick in tubs - we have some coming on nicely Smile

Decking will be fine for them, probably comfier and certainly warmer than concrete. Bear in mind they might tend to toilet outside of their hutch or shed - several of ours only toilet in their runs and never / rarely in their indoor trays. If you want to avoid poop / widdle on the decking, get a cheap hutch or shelter for in the run and put a litter tray in it for them - Rosie and Dougal have my old 4' indoor hutch as their run shelter. Roo loves sunbathing on top of it too.

Give them plenty of tasty stuff to chew and they probably won't nibble the decking.

I still have an old 4ft hutch in the garage from when my guinea pigs were babies. I'll definitely do that. Thank you Thumbs Up

marleyNfriends wrote:The bigger the setup the better and bunny proofing the garden is a priority. Ours isnt properly bunny proofed and I hate not being able to let them run around freely, its something that really bothers me.

I would start to increase their outdoor time, and if you have a lawn, introduce them to the grass gradually and things. Basically just slowly let them get used to everything, including the temperatures. I was always told that 8 degrees c outside on a night is acceptable to move indoor bunnies out 24/7, i think this is important for your two as they arent used to living outdoors full time.

Marley and Dolly love being indoors, as they have lots of space to binky, but they equally love being outside, and get so excited to see me, plus they have more space more of the time. Just keep an eye on their weights Smile

Our garden isn't that big and is safely fenced all the way around. They'll be getting free-range time when the dogs aren't out and about Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm

We're pretty much decided on the bun's new set up - soooo:

My grandparent's are giving me their old chicken coop which is pretty much identical to this:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=811&pf_id=57012

I'm going to disinfect that, and it will sit up here on this decking:

Any advice on moving my two outside? U/D GETTING A SHED!! Image_zpscea89d31

We'll then fence (like a proper garden fence) around that decking so the dogs can't bother the rabbits, and the buns can't escape - and put in a gate which will effectively be their 'run'.

And that little bit that's currently planted we are going to put meadow seeds and stuff on for them to have a digging/grassy area Thumbs Up

Obviously they'll have lots of free range time too Very Happy

Opinions?

FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon May 20, 2013 7:44 pm

To be honest I'd try selling the chicken coop and buying a shed or playhouse with the money. There is so little indoor room for the buns when the weather is manky - the dimensions on that link give the internal hutch size as 2' x 2 1/2' Shocked

I'd put a shed, playhouse or big hutch on the decking, fence in the garden as you said to about 3' high, then mesh on frames to 6' high with a polycarb roof over the lot so it is completely predator proof, and a door into their enclosure.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm

How much do you think we would get for that same chicken coop second hand though, Sparky? Hmmm

I can just see my family having a go at me about how "ridiculous" I'm being if I tell them this, but I can see your point about the indoor space...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Just from a quick look on eBay, chicken coops seem to be going for reasonable money second-hand. Sheds can be picked up cheap, although they might need a bit of TLC. Have a look on eBay in your area Thumbs Up

Do you have someone who could build the mesh panels?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 pm

I think the same person putting the fencing around the decking could probably do that.

Also, about the roof? How difficult and how costly will that be to get hold of/install?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon May 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Can you have a measure of the area?

Then I'll get Hudad to take a look - he's going to be a bit busy for a day or two first Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Mon May 20, 2013 9:56 pm

yea i defiantly agree, i have seen these set up in stores and the inside space is tiny if it where to be cold or raining I'm not sure they would both fit in there comfortably let alone stretch/periscope in there. you would be much better off with them in a playhouse/shed.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Sparky wrote:Can you have a measure of the area?

Then I'll get Hudad to take a look - he's going to be a bit busy for a day or two first Laughing

Thanks Sparky Hugs

I'll try and measure it up. In the mean time we're going to measure the inside of the coop - I told them I wanted to know the exact square footage of the inside before I even considered putting my rabbits in there. I doubt it will be big enough but I could be pleasantly suprised! It would be much less hassle than selling a coop, buying a shed etc but obviously their welfare is first and foremost.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue May 21, 2013 8:32 am

I agree chicen coops are small, more height than floor space, 4ft hutch is still pretty small too, if you can afford it got the kids playhut from b&q its £149 but is sturdy & well made, you can even add an extra level inside to offer more space. We put a cat flap on the side of floppys where Im going to make a framed run asap, at mo he has a puppy play pen covered in a double layer of pond netting which isnt ideal but does for week or so. I might get another cat flap and put a second run at the other side. The others have a double layer 4 ft hutch but big run, bellas house is still lying empty which is in same run, I will bring myself to cleaning it out for them to play in might put a connection pipe going from the hut to the hutch, they seem happy stretched out on the hay covered ground most of the time only sleep in the hutch when its cold. Try to give yours as much space as you can, even putting the hut in that space with a small run attatched and a second run further along with a tunnel connecting them will offer loads of space and fun.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 am

If money is a bit tight, you could try connecting the coop to the hutch you said you have, push them together cut out a square on the joining section making sure there as flush as possible, poss put a frame joining the 2 dut outs so theres no gaps for them to hurt break their legs. Then secure the 2 together with metal plates cheap enough in b&q, which I used to reinforce the frame on my bunnys run since Im not a very good joiner, the frame was slightly off, the plates pulled it in place nicely.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

The 4ft hutch was only ever as a litter area for the run and not meant for living space Smile I will see how big this coop is but I would never leave them with a tiny little indoor space, so if needs be we'll sell the coop and get a shed or playhouse for them Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am

I think our shed was about £130 and then we spent another 25 of insulation and boarding.

Its deffo the way to go hun they have plenty of room when shut in over night and have a flap access to a run during daylight hours. Its easy to clean as I just have to sweep the shed floor (they like to make a mess) and change the littler tray every day.
They dont have anything expensive in there.....we managed to find some old wood for shelves, they love a cardboard box filled with hay to snuggle in and I expect you already ahve their indoor stuff that could go out there for lino and matts and things.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 pm

I told my mum that it's not fair to shut them in that chicken coop overnight and only let them have that little space when the weather is foul and she told me that "they're just rabbits". She doesn't seem to think it would be cruel to shut Willow in a 4ft hutch overnight when I asked her and I told her she's sick.

I said I would rather rehome my rabbits if she needs the space than do that to them.

She told me I'm a self centred, selfish little cow who has no considerations for her feeling. I am actually sick of it here.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue May 21, 2013 6:01 pm

WHAT?!?!

It's not about how you feel about it! It's about doing what's right for them!

I'm sorry you got that reaction from your mum. I've no idea how she can think you're being selfish!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue May 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Is she a bit stressed about your sister coming home anyway? I assume it was a bit of an unplanned event...

I assume your sister is having the buns room and the other animal room is too small to have all the animals in together?

Print off some RWAF literature and leave it laying about the house Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

The animals won't fit comfortably into one room - my sister was going to have the animal room and the chinchillas and guinea pigs were coming into the rabbit room.

At this point I don't know what to do. I told her to google RWAF Sparky and she clearly has no intentions of doing so. I've been given the "ultimatum" and told I either have that set up or put them down.

I do not understand what is wrong with people, especially her. She's even giving me a date to have it decided by.

What do you think guys? What is more cruel? Keep them in the planned set up with the coop or re-home them to an uncertain future?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next