Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac)

+4
Marie_Kubiak
Tango's slave
buddabun
SarahP
8 posters

Go down

Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac) Empty Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac)

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:15 pm

I have found this anti GI Ulcer med' to be invaluable when treating GI stasis, 'gassy' tummies and any condition where a Bun is Anorexic.
I have one Bun, Dermot, who has a chronic gut problem. I feel sure that he would not be here today had we not started to use Ranitidine.
So if you are ever unfortunate to have a Bun that has a GI motility problem do mention Ranitidine to your Vets. In combination with prokinetics and analgesics it really does help. It is also beneficial to give to anyBun on longterm NSAIDs (eg Metacam). One of the negative side-effects of NSAIDs can be gastric irritation.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac) Empty Re: Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac)

Post by SarahP Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 pm

I second that - I'm sure Dusty wouldn't be here today without it either. Smile
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac) Empty Re: Singing the Praises of Ranitidine (Zantac)

Post by buddabun Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:44 pm

thanks guys, will remember that (although I doubt they'll have it here).

Thanks for sharing Smile
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 pm

I take it too now as I have a history of GI ulceration and the meds I was on gave me .........well.......dreadful diarrhoea (SORRY!!) silent

The Ranitidine does not have that effect. It may be one of the older anti-ulcer meds but it suits me the best and its helped numerous Bunsters too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango's slave Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm sat at work now and we give a lot of our babies ranitadine to help with gastric problems. Never thought of giving it to a bunny though.
Tango's slave
Tango's slave
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marie_Kubiak Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:37 am

Ranitidine is now a staple medication for any rabbit with ileus Smile Not only does it have an anti-ulcer effect but it also stimulates gut movement (by an as yet unknown pathway). It is a very useful drug, but I wish they made it in a different flavour to the very strongly minty Zantac syrup!
Marie_Kubiak
Marie_Kubiak
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-31

http://www.manorvets.com/exotic-pets

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:45 am

We used Cimetidine (Tagamet) for Caspian as he preferred the taste but I am sure it helped during his stasis bouts Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Marie_Kubiak wrote:Ranitidine is now a staple medication for any rabbit with ileus Smile Not only does it have an anti-ulcer effect but it also stimulates gut movement (by an as yet unknown pathway). It is a very useful drug, but I wish they made it in a different flavour to the very strongly minty Zantac syrup!

My lot love the minty taste !!
Mind you when they have tummy pain they like Spearmint and Camomile Tea too......... Hmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Dusty isn't a fan of the taste, or of her peppermint tea that she gets daily!
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:55 pm

Awwwwww bless her, how is she doing at the moment ?

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:08 pm

What sort of dose is recommended, I might suggest it for Evo tomorrow??
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:58 pm

Jack's-Jane wrote:Awwwwww bless her, how is she doing at the moment ?

Surprisingly well, although obviously every day is a bonus! I am sure she won't be around for much longer, but I know she's still happy at the moment (and we're loving still having her around). cheers
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:59 pm

rallybunny wrote:What sort of dose is recommended, I might suggest it for Evo tomorrow??

Dusty is on 0.8 ml twice a day.
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:58 pm

rallybunny wrote:What sort of dose is recommended, I might suggest it for Evo tomorrow??

2-5mg/kg every 12 hours Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:59 pm

SarahP wrote:
Jack's-Jane wrote:Awwwwww bless her, how is she doing at the moment ?

Surprisingly well, although obviously every day is a bonus! I am sure she won't be around for much longer, but I know she's still happy at the moment (and we're loving still having her around). cheers

That's such good news !! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:39 am

Is it something that the vet is likely to have anyway, or something that they would have to get in?? Or something that I could get from the chemist??
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:39 am

Ranitidine is AKA Zantac and can now be bought in Supermarkets etc. BUT its obviously in tablet form (75mg tabs) and so impractical for dosing a Bun.
Ranitidine Liquid is only available on prescription. Your Vet may have it as its used in Dogs and Cats too. Alternatively there is another anti GI Ulcer med called Cimetidine (Tagamet) which your Vet may keep in stock.
If not the Vet can either order it in for you or alternatively give you a prescription (for which Vet cannot charge you- not til October anyway, when the rules change) You can then obtain it through any Pharmacy as you would a prescription for yourself.

Hope Evo is feeling better today

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Jack's-Jane wrote:Ranitidine is AKA Zantac and can now be bought in Supermarkets etc. BUT its obviously in tablet form (75mg tabs) and so impractical for dosing a Bun.
Ranitidine Liquid is only available on prescription. Your Vet may have it as its used in Dogs and Cats too. Alternatively there is another anti GI Ulcer med called Cimetidine (Tagamet) which your Vet may keep in stock.
If not the Vet can either order it in for you or alternatively give you a prescription (for which Vet cannot charge you- not til October anyway, when the rules change) You can then obtain it through any Pharmacy as you would a prescription for yourself.

Hope Evo is feeling better today

Thanks Jane, Evo is still poorly. Sad Very useful info though, which I will take with me, especially as it helps with the gut movement as well as being anti-ulcer. I presume he can still have it, if he's had metaclopramide etc??
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:36 pm

Yes, Dusty has both Metoclop and Zantac.
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Poor ickle Evo Crying or Very sad

Do the Vets have any idea as to the cause of his illness ?

More vibes on their way for him

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by oscarbunny Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:43 pm

sorry to hear of poorly buns. I would have never thought of asking about ranitidine!! thanks for posting this jane Very Happy
oscarbunny
oscarbunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Maizey Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Barlie loves the taste of Zantac I put it on a basil leaf and she loves it.Bugsy turns his nose up at it.I found if i put It on a basil leaf then put a mint leaf on top he will gobble It up.Aren't bunnies funny creatures with their likes and dislikes.Then again we all have our likes and dislikes in life
Maizey
Maizey
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down