Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't think hector has had anything to drink

+5
BugsBunny
Thumper2001
Sparky
FluffSlave
Zo
9 posters

Go down

I don't think hector has had anything to drink Empty I don't think hector has had anything to drink

Post by Zo Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 pm

When i gave him breakfast this morning it didn't look like he'd drunk anything overnight, usually his bowl is half empty but it was still full. When i got home from work today again it was still full, I'm going to try and get him into the vets tomorrow, what should i do in the mean time??

He's eating, but he's very quiet
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

I don't think hector has had anything to drink Empty Re: I don't think hector has had anything to drink

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

You need to get some water into him. You can syringe feed water if you have any syringes to hand? Also try giving him watery veg like cucumber etc if he's eating.

I'd try and get him in ASAP at the vets.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

I don't think hector has had anything to drink Empty Re: I don't think hector has had anything to drink

Post by Zo Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't have a syringe, can i try mixing some pellets with a bit of water? We have cucumber, I'll grab some for him now, thanks jess
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm

You could give it a go.

When my Willow wasn't drinking when she was very poorly, I found she took the water when I offered it to her from a teaspoon, as it wasn't such hard work for her. You could try that as well...

I'm sending him loads of vibes. If he's still not drinking when he's seen your vet it's worth asking for some Critical Care to take home with you. You can make it up quite watery and some of them love it - Willow just laps it from the bowl Hugs

Hope you're ok too xxx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:50 pm

If he'll eat veg and herbs you can make them quite wet. I'm not overly worried about him not drinking much - Theo drinks two bowls a day and I drink about four sips. But you say he is quiet too and that is more concerning...

How are his poos?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Poos are good, it's just very much out of character for him to not be drinking, i do his water in the morning and evening and he's always drunk about half a bowl before.

He's had some cucumber, and some very watery mashed pellets
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Just a thought... do you fill his bowl straight from the tap? Have you had a lot of rain lately? Sometimes when it has rained hard the water companies dump a load of extra chlorine in the water. We fill plastic milk cartons two-thirds full and allow the water to get to room temperature and for any excess chlorine to disperse before filling the buns bowls. I wonder if a chloriney smell might have put him off drinking. Try giving him some boiled, cooled water - even lukewarm (but only just tepid) he might be more keen.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Sparky wrote:Just a thought... do you fill his bowl straight from the tap? Have you had a lot of rain lately? Sometimes when it has rained hard the water companies dump a load of extra chlorine in the water. We fill plastic milk cartons two-thirds full and allow the water to get to room temperature and for any excess chlorine to disperse before filling the buns bowls. I wonder if a chloriney smell might have put him off drinking. Try giving him some boiled, cooled water - even lukewarm (but only just tepid) he might be more keen.
This was my first thought. I was going to suggest trying him with some bottled water.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 pm

I had the same worry with Dougal Monday, i mentioned it to hudad and he sais he will be fine and proabbly is but I spend a lot more time with him and he was not and he is the same, he drinks loads from his bowl. I was worried but then he started to drink again more yestersay, although he has not drunk as much today though but has been dirnking some as I have seen him. i am wondering if it is to do with his little infection but he is fine and poops like hector in other ways.

I agree with sparky as our water is pretty awful atm, I can smell it really badly and it taste rank but Dougal is opposite I had put him some bottled water in and it turned out that like i suspected and said to ste that he did not like the bottled water and prefer the rank water. i ony gave him some from a bottle from lidl in case the horird chorine bohtered him like is does me. As i am typing he has drunk some more and it seems he is opposite to hector, he likes the yuk taste and smell.

I hope he is okay now, let us know how the sweet little fella gets on, sending nose rubs and vibes.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:37 am

I put some pro c in his water last night because he likes the taste and this morning he'd had almost the entire bowl cheers 
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:24 am

Well done Hector! Very Happy

How is he in himself today Zo?

Sending vibes for him, and hugs for you Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Zo wrote:I put some pro c in his water last night because he likes the taste and this morning he'd had almost the entire bowl cheers 
It's a good trick, isn't it? Laughing 

I'm glad he has drunk more and hope he is just messing with you Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:22 pm

So happy he is better cheers  hector.

It is a good trick unless your Dougal Laughing Laughing Laughing  he looks like what is that **** in my bowl when I put pro c in and refuses it.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:01 pm

great news! glad Hector is drinking again'!
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 am

Glad to hear Hector is drinking again.  Good job Hector!Love They do know how to worry us don't they! Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:23 pm

He seems better in himself, but i won't know for sure until he's out later on tonight. Mum watched him for me yesterday, and sent me this picture:

I don't think hector has had anything to drink 54C9A1C3-40C1-4177-A45A-ED6BA71B19E3-310-000000339945A93A_zps960fe595

to show he'd been drinking, haha
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:38 pm

I am glad he seems to be better love, good luck for later on tonight.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Great news and what a cute picture.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Bless Love

Hope he was himself! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 pm

That's a relief.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Thank you for the lovely photo hun, he is adorable.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Such an adorable fella he has grown into! Love
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down