Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be

4 posters

Go down

RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be Empty RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be

Post by BugsBunny Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:56 am

So I went and picked some Dock leaves for Dougal from the woods the other day and he has had 2 big broad leaf ones ( well 1 and half as did not give him the full one) . 1 yesterday half of one today as I thought these where safe for rabbits but very confused and worried now as I have been looking things up that are safe to pick and a lot of people say they are good and a lot say they are poisonous. I am very worried now that I have given some to Dougal and if he has been poisoned or not.

I am confused too and hate it when there are so many conflicting answers, it is very frustrating. I am panicking here.

I cannot seem to find some good info on them at all.

Please tell me I am panicking over nothing.

My understanding is as long as they are not in seeding  is this correct? or is it wrong? just trying to get more info.

Last edited by BugsBunny on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be Empty Re: RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 pm

I see what you mean about the contradictory info!

I can't answer 100% but from what I've just read I wouldn't panic. I've just read they are toxic to humans (??) but not to rabbits, and the places I read that said they are toxic to rabbits also said they are toxic in large quantities.

You usually find that rabbits know themselves what is safe to eat and will turn their noses up at the bad stuff.

Sorry I couldn't be more certain!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be Empty Re: RWAF adivse the dock leaves are not safe but dougal will be

Post by Sparky Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Ok, Humum knows they are not poisonous as such, but Twigs Way (bunny forage guru) actually does advise against them:

They have high tannin and oxalic acids which are bad for the kidneys. This is the same as with spinach leaves which you also shouldn't feed to rabbits.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Oh I'm in trouble. I feed spinach sometimes to the buns. Not daily and not huge amounts but what comes in mixed salad packs with rocket and watercress, Embarassed pale No 

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Sparky wrote:Ok, Humum knows they are not poisonous as such, but Twigs Way (bunny forage guru) actually does advise against them:

They have high tannin and oxalic acids which are bad for the kidneys. This is the same as with spinach leaves which you also shouldn't feed to rabbits.

That is exactly what someone at the RWAF advised too Amanda, I emailed themt o be sure too this morning as was so worried and they replied with this.

Dear Jade

Please don't panic.  Your rabbits are in no immediate danger from eating two dock leaves.

They do contain a significant amount of oxalates and are not recommended as a safe food, but they are not so toxic that eating a couple of them will do any harm.  Oxalates can be problemmatic for the kidneys, as explained here  http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm and so it's best not to feed foods containing them

So now we know to avoid them but he will be okay, it just worried me as they where very big ones, but he had half of just the other as I broke it in half, so hopefully no hard done as he is such a healthy happy bunny, let's hope it stays that way. His fur gets more gorgeous every day , he is even more shiny and soft than ever. Sparky's humum will tell you how good he looks.

I saw this about spinach too but he does not like it anyway so that is good, I will never feed hm anything I am unsure of, I just thought they where safe the dock leaves, will make sure I tipple check from now on, I am very careful, sometimes too careful but nothing wrong with that when it comes to looking after a fluff.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down