Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stressed out bunnies - ants!

5 posters

Go down

Stressed out bunnies - ants! Empty Stressed out bunnies - ants!

Post by buddabun Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Oh Jesus what an evening. We had an infestation of must be thousands of big, black, swarming, biting ants. They were in the pondok traipsing around like they owned the place and the poor rabbits were jumping around in the air trying to shake them off as they sting like mad when they bite.

We are all ok now. We have moved the bunnies to the spare room for now, cleaned everything bunny-related out of there and emptied 3 cans of bug spray into the room for the night. The little gits were EVERYWHERE and both Mr B and I both got bitten but not as much as the bunnies, I was literally having to smack hteir bottoms to get the ants off they were so intent of getting my buns!

Anyway, is there anything I can do to chill them out. They seem OK although Hazel is a little shyer than usual. But I feel awful as they are in a strange new room after a scary, stressful experience without all their familiar comforts. I have given them some banana treat and lots of hay (which they are happily tucking into) and we have had some chats and calming strokes but I just don't want them being too frightened in there. It must have been really terrifying for them having all these stingers all over them and not knowing what's happening, then being picked up by Mr B, lobbed to me, smacked on the bum a few times, been relay-sprinted down the hall and lobbed in an unfamiliar room!

Vibes please for the Brunei Buns and their Bitten Bums!!! Hmmm
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Stressed out bunnies - ants! Empty Re: Stressed out bunnies - ants!

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Oh crikey Shocked
I would say just let them chill out as much as possible, even if they are in a strange room.
I suppose all their toys have been bug treated so cant be used yet ? Some familiar smelling things might help.

Eeeeeeeeeeewww I'd die if I had to cope with an ant infestation !!

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 pm

It was effing scary they were literallt everywhere, crawling up the walls, writhing on the ground, all along the corners of the room. We are going to go mad with the silicon sealant tomorrow!

All their cradboard toys have been chucked (including chubes Sad) and plastic things are outside to be hosed down tomorrow (Can't do it tonight as there are FLYING ants as well. Hundreds of them. Our porch is littered and I daren't turn on the outside light for fear of swoop attacks Sad) and thoroughly disinfected.

They did a few (normal) poos on the floor so I swept them and put them in the (clean, disinfected) litter tray. They have extra hay which they are enjoying and a big paper bag that the hay came in which I have been saving for a special occasion (god bless PP!). Someone has weed on it in days gone by so it should smell familiar at least Laughing. It was my new supply of hay but I have just moved the 4kgs of hay into their hay barrel (better for storage) and let them have the bag to play with.

They have already climbed in top of and weed on the rolled-up airbed. Too big to store in any cupboard so I've had to just piled stuff on top Laughing

I feel so awful for being so rough with them earlier but I just wanted them out of there. I have NEVER seen a bun jump so high Sad
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:36 pm

Awww, the poor things. Sad It was bad enough when we had ants here, luckily they never came into Evo's rooms. I'm sure the buns will be fine though, well done you for rescuing them from the ants.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:07 pm

They have set about destroying things in the spare room so they must be fairly settled!
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:57 pm

Poor bunnies Sad

Ant invasions are not funny - and must be a million times worse when they bite.

There's never a dull moment in Dubai, eh Shocked Hope you are soon back to being an ant free zone.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:37 am

Brunei pal. But yes, it was a very eventful night.

We are almost an ant-free zone. The only ones left are dead ones. Our kitchen is like a scene from 'Nam and Nerie is hosing down the pondok. I will wait another day for the poison to dissipate before I put the bunnies back in there I think.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:46 am

Oops sorry - my senior moments are becoming more frequent Embarassed Sad

Have you worked out where the ants got in? My mother used to favour poring boiling water over them when we had ant nests in the garden.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Poor Brunei bunnehs Sad I know its alful to laugh, but your description was so funny that I imagined you and Mr B passing them American Football style to one another! lol.

Big hugs for them all and their bitten bottoms x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:46 am

It was just like that! He was grabbing htem by the scruff (whilst hopping around being bitten himself bless him :luv:), lobbing them to me, I was smacking their butts and charging down the hall with them. Poor Hay didn't know what had hit her Laughing

They are back into the spare room for last night as I silicon-ed the entire room, window frames and all. The only weak points are not the cat flap and, to a lesser extent, the door.

We have since been told that ants won't cross powder so I am on the lookout today for some talc to put underneath the catflap (I wanted something non-toxic that wouldn't kill the bunnehs).
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by sally1974 Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:49 pm

awww poor buns, ants are a nighmare. I hope they are nice and settled now.
Sallyx

sally1974
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:37 am

Yes, all is restored, I went silicon-mad the other day and sealed up every nook and cranny. The only weak points now are the catflap and around the door as I didn't want to seal either of them for obvious reasons.

3 tubes of silicon gel used around every window, the skirting board, the floor and parts of the ceiling. My fingers were cramped into misshapen claws fr using the squeezer thing Laughing

But hopefully no more ant invasions cheers
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down