Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'(

+8
BugsBunny
gentl
jolovesbunnies
FluffSlave
Sixer
paullp
KatieB
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( Empty Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'(

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:40 am

I have been debating whether to start this thread or not. It's hard to accept that Flopsy's time is running short. Crying or Very sad

For those that do not know already Flopsy has had kidney disease for the past year & 2 months. He has been on half a fortekor tablet daily and fortunately his kidneys have remained stable and haven't deteriorated. Which is great. However back in April he was diagnosed with heart disease following a blood test and an ultrasound which revealed his heart muscles were very thick. Due to his heart not working properly it resulted in his liver congesting. On top of this Flopsy is also a dental bunny and suffers with tooth root pain (He has been on long term metacam since April 2012). His last dental was almost 2 months ago. John checked his teeth and fortunately all is well at the moment. An anaesthetic now is pretty risky for flopsy to undergo so I am relieved he does not need one. He too has arthritis and it has been gradually getting worse as he ages and even more so now his heart is poorly.

We went in last friday to see John as Flopsy had deteriorated. He had lost quite a lot of weight, appetite had decreased, he was sleeping and resting a lot more than usually and generally looked in pain. This was despite being on 0.7ml of the dog metacam twice daily . It was awful seeing him look uncomfortable and in pain. I was expecting him to be needing a dental. However J checked and his teeth at the moment are ok which is a relief. He weighed just 1.49kg last friday. J said to up his 1/2 a vetmedin tablet daily to twice a day and monitor him over the weekend for any improvements. There wasn't any significant or noticeable improvement, nor was there any weight gain when we went back on Monday.

So J has now prescribed Flopsy tramadol which he has to have 1/2 a capsule twice a day. Flopsy does not like the taste of it so I am putting it in his morning and evening meal. I am also feeding him 2 -3 times a day consisting of a softened pellet & rolled oat mix. I soak his Science selective mature pellets and then mash them up; I then mix with a tablespoon of rolled oats and a scoop of protexin pro fibre. He much prefers his food to be softened. This has been working well and he seems to like his new routine.

I have weighed Flopsy tonight and he now weighs 1.63kg so has gained 140g since Monday (If i have got my calculations right). Which is absolutely great and must mean that things are working better now. I am really pleased and I hope J will be too when we go back on Monday for his checkup. Although he still looks a little uncomfortable at times - I feel things have improved slightly now with his extra vetmedin dose and the tramadol too. I know that this does not mean I can get my hopes up - as he is still very poorly and he can't get better. However if we can stabilize his health and keep his pain under control - we can hopefully have some more weeks and possibly months left with him.

Flopsy's medicine list:

Metacam 0.7ml twice daily (tooth root pain & arthritis)
Fortekor 1/2 tablet daily (Kidney disease)
Vetmedin 1/2 tablet twice daily (Heart disease)
Tramadol 1/2 capsule twice daily (Pain)

Flopsy has deteriorated so much in the past 7 months of this year. It's only when you look back at photos that you realise - It really brings it all into perspective. It is so sad and heartbreaking watching somebody or somebunny fade away to illness. Sad I do not want Flopsy to suffer or to be in pain. However at the moment he still remains enthusiastic about his medication which he willingly takes it all with no trouble.  He really does  look forward to med time and his meals.

This is my poor uncomfortable boy before the tramadol started taking effect. Sad

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14631479122_bb4cb0cd84

He spends a lot of his time resting and sleeping now.

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14445335018_b31bc77083
Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14608946306_625a0cb827

Here he is having his morning meal

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14627829924_30a663f306

Breakfast in bed!

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14443362238_5277860d63

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14443524208_1c22ab9383

Having his night-time meal

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14649907523_baf30c7585
Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14629936475_dbab87350d

Some more photos of Flopsy over the past few days Love

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14626865251_23d3afac89
Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14443537028_f08d79c731

Eating a dandelion (which took him forever to eat!)

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14443448108_140a0a405a

With hunbun Lily Love

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 14649952393_ff5bca2588

Last edited by BellaPickleFlopsyLily on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:03 am; edited 3 times in total
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( Empty Re: Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'(

Post by KatieB Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:15 am

He Deffo looks brighter jack :-).

C and A are both on Tramadol. I crush it up in water and give it to them by syringe, so Annie has half a tablet twice a day so I crush up five tablets in 5ml of water shake it up and then I give her 0.5 ml for each dose.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( Empty Re: Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'(

Post by paullp Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 am

Lots and lots of anti pain vibes for Flopsy, it sounds like you are doing the right thing and are very attentive with his treatments
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:04 am

KatieB wrote:He Deffo looks brighter jack :-).

C and A are both on Tramadol.  I crush it up in water and give it to them by syringe, so Annie has half a tablet twice a day so I crush up five tablets in 5ml of water shake it up and then I give her 0.5 ml for each dose.  

Thank you Kate.

For some reason - Flopsy just won't take it by the syringe. I think it has a gritty taste to it. I make a mix of banana & apple purée baby food with water (so it's no so thick) and mix them with the grinded tablets & tramadol (obviously all meds are separate - if that makes any sense!?). I Have been try to sniff the tramadol to see if there was anything that might put him off and I can't smell anything.

What he does is takes some of it, realises what it is and wanders off in a bit of a grump.
I suppose it shouldn't make much difference me putting it on his meals instead as it all soaks in. He's still getting it this way which is important.
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Bless him, I know it is of no consolation but Flopsy is so lucky to have you caring for him. He couldn't want for a better owner  Hugs  Hugs  Hugs
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Poor Flopsy Sad

You are such an amazing owner. He is very lucky to have someone so attentive to look after him. Hopefully with your care and John's help he has a little longer left yet xxx

Sending vibes to the gorgeous boy, and hugs to you Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:36 pm

I am so sorry to hear of what you and Flopsy have gone through love and I am sorry he is so poorly and cannot really get better. It is times like this when we could do with a mircale. He is certainly very lucky to have you to love him and care for him and I for one hope you will have him for a somewhat longer time. You are in my prayers.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:01 am

Lots of healing nd loving vibes for Flopsy.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:37 pm

You are doing a fantastic job with him and the fact that he is gaining weight is good.

I send mega vibes for the handsome chap and nose rubs.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Great news - have been for Flopsy's checkup, Flopsy has gained 180 grams since last week. John was very pleased with how he's responded. Very Happy

We've not got to go back for another 4 weeks. Have got to continue with what we are doing. Hopefully he can gain some more weight in that time too.

I'm so relieved that he's responded well to the extra heart tablet and the tramadol. I am not ready to say goodbye. Although I know that he's not going to get better - if his health can be stabilised then he could have a few more months or even more longer with us & Lily.

Thanks Everyone Hugs
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 pm

This is fantastic news! Well done Flopsy! cheers

Sending top up vibes to you both Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:03 pm

This is wonderful new angel, I am sending lots of loving and comforting vibes to you all. I think a group hug is needed.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:43 am

Flopsy has deteriorated, he's had a drastic weight loss, appetite had decreased and his output has been very soft and runny. We are coming towards the end Crying or Very sad

We've just been to the vets, J checked his teeth and he doesn't think that they are the problem, he said although you can't fully see the rabbit dental anatomy whilst they're conscious, Flopsy's teeth do not look so bad.

Flopsy's been given a Terramycin LA injection so if there's any infections present then this should hopefully treat it, we've got to go back on Monday. But J did say that to be prepared for the worst and that we are reaching the point where we will have to stop.

I've got to nurse Flopsy all weekend and try and get food into him, he needs a bum-bath when we get home as he has poo on him (his output is so poor)

I think this is it Sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm
So sorry to hear this Jack. I am sending you all our love x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Oh darling I am so very sorry. for all the good it will do at a time like this, I am sending lots of love.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:42 pm

I am so sorry to read this Jack Sad

Well done for giving Flopsy such a wonderful life and so much more time than he might have had with somebody else. I'm sure he appreciates it.

I am sending vibes to you both Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:37 pm

I am so sorry to read this Jack. Flopsy couldn't have wanted for a better home than with you. The level of care that your bunnies have is inspirational. Thinking of you very much Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:45 am

Oh Jack I'm so sorry to hear this as I love your bunnies all of them and I totally agree with what Sixer has said none of them could have a better home
than with you, you look after them to perfection and their homes are spotlessly clean always.

Sending all the Vibes I can muster for that very special little bunny of yours and hoping he improves xxxxx

Thinking of you xx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:40 pm

How is he today love?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:52 pm

I just realised that I made this thread 3 months ago to the day (12th), so I thought I would update it with some pictures.
Flopsy is doing okay-ish at the moment, he is fairly stable anyway. He has remained the same weight for the past 4 days although did lose a chunk the week before. We weigh Flopsy every 4-5 days, hopefully he will either stay at 1.41kg or go up. He is so small now, bless him Sad. I really did not think back in July that Flopsy would still be with us, especially not for another 3 months. Love

Oh yeah.. I opened the shed this afternoon to find Flopsy on the second level - which I have not seen him on in about 6 months, I was so shocked Shocked

These photos are from tonight, the first 3 are Flopsy on his new self-heating blanket/mat!

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15516867291_1f4e6bc9ae

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15333404298_13acdef88c

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15496875586_7f6fedffb5

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15333078909_f3d5ba0d59

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15333224640_f1fa5d940c

Yesterday (Saturday) we took Flopsy & Lily out on the grass in a massive pen, Flopsy really enjoyed himself and was munching on every dandelion he could find. I did not get many good photos but I will share a few.

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15333226308_661a13a2ff

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15496696516_b16274a7e7

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15332961769_1256766109

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15519423722_ee32b021aa

Flopsy is on borrowed time - he's gone :'( 15333250667_8a476d869b
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I am really sorry for not replying sooner, I have been so busy with college, it has been really draining Sad

I have good news though, for me anyway. I got my English remark results back after an anxious 17 days wait, guess what? I have PASSED, I have my C grade in GCSE English Language. Very Happy
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Oh, bless him. It's nice to see he's felt well enough to get up onto his second level and enjoy the garden Love

Also, congratulations to you on your result Very Happy

Sending lots of vibes Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Congratulations love on passing your exams and what a gorgeous fluffy bunny. They do love their dandelions don't they?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:00 am

Flopsy passed away at 01:25am this morning :'(

He deteriorated this evening so we rushed him into the out of hours vet, we got there at 22:40pm. By the time we got there, Flopsy was lethargic and I had to keep checking to see if his heart was still beating Sad

Unfortunately John wasn't able to see us but we saw another vet. She also called John whilst there so I could speak to him, he was very nice. We only had two options 1) to put to sleep, 2) to give him a pain relief injection, gut motility drug and sub cut fluids. We decided to give him a chance so we went for option 2. We were there for 40 minutes trying to decide what to do for the best.

As we got towards home, I realised that I had made the wrong decision and that it was impossible for him to get better Sad we got home at about 00:10 am and we sat by Flopsy's side accompanied by Lily keeping him comfortable.

At 01:25 am Flopsy took his last breath whilst in my arms.

I'm distraught

I'm so sorry Flopsy

I love you

7th January 2007 - 16th October 2014.
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 am

I am so sorry to read that you have lost Flopsy, such a gorgeous wee man. I know right now it will be of no comfort whatsoever but he had the most wonderful life and the best care with you and Lily. He was truly a very lucky bunny to share his life with you.

Please, please try not to feel guilty about the decision you made at the vets. I have no doubt that John would not have agreed to trying the meds and taking him home if he thought it was not worth giving Flopsy a chance. Flopsy slipped away with Lily by his side, there are worse ways to cross over to Rainbow Bridge.

I am thinking of you Jack, you are such a wonderful young man. I would be very proud of you if you were my son.

Sleep tight, precious Flopsy xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next