Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie

+9
woodwench
FluffSlave
BugsBunny
jolovesbunnies
bunny boy
c.bolduan
Sixer
KatieB
marleyNfriends
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie Empty A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Im at war with myself here. I need some help!! Finding girls in rescues is difficult. Ive exhausted the RWAF list of rescues, and rabbit rehome of rescues within 50 miles of here.

Animal Krackers have several potential girlfriends for Marley, and they genuinely seem like a fab place, great setups, lots of space for the bunnies, well looked after, vaccinated and spayed. GREAT. but, all their girls are under a year old. After speaking to various rescues today, they have all said that there are more males than females in rescue, and often, when females come in, they are quite quickly bonded due to the male:female ratio. All of the girls are in one place, so Marley could quite easily go dating without ferrying him here, there and everywhere. The issue is, their ages. Marley is 6, and these girls are all under a year. I know Marley will be easy to bond, but theyre so young! What happens when the inevitable happens? I dont want to go through all of this again any time soon. Its hard enough looking for girlies already. The rescue have said that there are some very young girls, all of whom were with their mother in a guinea pig hutch, and I could have one of them to bond him with. Alternatively, I could take a pair, and have a trio again. They have said that in their experience, the best trios have always been a female pair with a single male, which is what this would be. In terms of pairs, there are two nethie crosses, who look like tons of fun, but one looks too much like Dolly. Im really not sure I can deal with that. The other pair, are Flemmish Giants Laughing One extreme to the other. Size doesnt put me off. Our garden is huge, my setup is big enough, but Ive never had such big bunnies before! ...I really like this rescue though. The people seem lovely, and very knowledgeable.

Alternatively, there is a Dutch girl at Pawz that I could go and see. Again, Im not aware of her age, and there is only her for me to see. She is young too, but also vaccinated and neutered. Im really not sure what to do!

What are your thoughts? My head and heart are saying go to animal Krackers, but Im worried about them being so young.

Last edited by marleyNfriends on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie Empty Re: A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Bearing in mind lifespan of big bunnies, the young age of the giants may not be too much of the issue. And the fact that the shelter says they are pretty chilled is also a good sign.

Back to top Go down

A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie Empty Re: A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Such a tough decision hunni - my only thoughts are that the nethie cross girls sound lovely .. More marleys size so if ever you need to bring them in for any reason that would be easier than Giants.

Tough call though babe. How are you and Marley holding up babe ?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Have you had a look on http://oabunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:02 am

I can't commend on the age gap but I would try to get them in the same age group. I had a look. Blue cross seem to have various single ladies over three years old. They can also offer the option to have the girl transported to the blue croos centre close to you. Not sure whether this helps, but hope Marley will be with a hunbun soon. 
How are you? HugsHugsHugs

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:18 am

I hpoe your able to find the perfect mate for Marley. Loads of vibes for boyh of you
Judy
bunny boy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:35 am

There are no blue crosses near me. I have literally searches the country. OABunnies are also too far away, baring in mind that I don't drive, and my parents have been less than helpful in trying to find one. Dad doesn't live here, but I'd have hoped Mum would help. She's too preoccupied with the house. I'd have really appreciated some input from her, as I'm finding it really hard to organise my thoughts.

I'm going to see Maisy, the Dutch girl as a priority, because she has been waiting a long time and is about 3 years old, so a little older. The bunnies from Animal Krackers are in the same sort of area, but I'm worried that If I go to seen them, I might be overcome by cute babies, and end up with a trio again. Not an issue, as long as Marley is happy, but I'm worried he gets left out like Skye did. I don't want my judgement to be clouded by cute, squidgy babies.

I'm also thinking about going without Marley first. He's had a lot of stress, Im worried about him traveling for a 3 hour round trip after the stress of this week. But then, maybe dating will take the decision away from me, seeing him with the girls. Tough one.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:01 am

On the animal krackers website there was also a litter with three girls and two boys. I am guessing that they would let you have one girl so they would end up with two easier to rehome pairs.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:23 am

I spoke to Mum this morning. We discussed everything, and wrote down the pros and cons and we've decided that taking Marley is probably the best idea, as he may make the decision for us, instead of agonising over who may be the best bun. She also said it's worth trying him with the pairs of girls as it would be less likely for one bun to be alone for quite some time. I guess we will visit both places and see what Marley thinks.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:54 am

Sounds like a good plan Hun xx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Sounds like a great plan Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Fingers crossed xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Good luck love in finding a partner for Marley, please keep us posted.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Good luck and great plan, I hope you find one or 2 lucky lady bunnies for him.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:39 pm

I see some exciting piccies on Facebook Very Happy

Looking forward to hearing more...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Eeeeeeeekkkkk!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Well...................................................? Laughing
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:17 pm

On the edge of my seat now...

(This could get painful on the backside)

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Laughing Sorryyyy!!

We came home with a young Nethie x English, shes still a baby, really, at 16 weeks, and so far so good. Her rescue name was Martha, but providing that they get on, Ive called her Effie. She reminds me of a cross between Skye, and Hughie, which I didnt realise until I got home!

Unfortunately, she was split from her sister. I think the only reason the rescue offered to split them, was because Marley got on with her quite well during their date, but hated her sister. Her sister was quite strong willed, whereas Effie is quite submissive. The pair could be a bit ****** towards each other, and so they said they didnt mind in this case, given their young age, and that they have several options for rebonding her. Others may, or may not agree with this, but I cant really hide it. Had she been a lot older, or close to her sister, Id have said it was cruel.

Im keeping them in for 24 hours with the heating off, just to get the measure of them. They will go back out tomorrow afternoon. How I set them up depends on how theyre going, but Ill neutralise the shed, and pen it off accordingly. Until 10 minutes ago, they had ignored each other. There was some chasing; Marley wanted her to groom him. He then gave her a little groom before chasing her back for not returning the favour! They've settled down again now, and are eating their hay. Effie has been flopped out just behind him a few times. ...Its that time of night though, so Im expecting things to be up and down a little over the next few hours. We shall see! Its either going to be straight forward, or very time consuming, I cant tell yet, but everything seems ok for now.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Krackers/362217666684?fref=ts

A friend for Marley. Please help! UD Meet Effie 10983404_681493885295174_4090697955355969944_n_zps3d3c3b0e
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Welcome Effie Very Happy

What an adorable face Love Love Love Love Am sending loads of happy bonding vibes your way Sophia.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Welcome to HH Effie!

You are a gorgeous gorgeous girl, and you have just struck bunny gold.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Awww welcome gorgeous Effie. Love

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi Effie! Welcome to your new home. I know a lucky bun when I see one and you certainly are. Looking forward to hear all about you. 
Until then bonding vibes for Marley and You. And hugs for humum

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Wow, you are in for some exciting times. She's a sweetheart, Marley has taste.
Hope it all goes well and with spring around the corner I hope they will welcome the sun as a happy couple, and you as a doting mum.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:02 pm

Hello, Effie Wave Welcome to HH.

We are all look forward to getting to know you Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next