Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weight loss

2 posters

Go down

weight loss Empty weight loss

Post by racheld69 Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Wave Jigsaw has recently been bonded with Pirate and they are happy etc. However, Jigsaw has lost weight (he is also doing poos in a chain incase this is significant). So I have started giving him food away from Pirate coz am thinking that Pirate the piggy is scoffing it all (he eats much quicker that Jigsaw) and Jigsaw was a lone bunny for 5/6 years years so he is used to grazing on the odd biccy here and there when he fancies it - not having a room mate scoffing them all at once. Jigsaw is eating fine and seems ok in himself - grazes outside on the grass etc no probs and had his teeth checked recently and even yesterday i left him too long and he ate his AND Pirate's biscuits. So am just checking there is not something medical I am missing that could be wrong?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

weight loss Empty Re: weight loss

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Lexie eats slower than MK because of her teeth and her snuffles are also draining her energy which has lead to her loosing a significant amount of weight. I am feeding her away from MK (who on the other hand is getting fat) and during the day he goes outside to play whilst she stays in eating.

I'm also Panacuring her (and she is on Pro-C) just incase it's EC (and the Pro-C is to protect against the abx damage).

If he is not eating a lot then that could lead to his GI tract slowing as it has less to process and this would lead to string-poo's....but there could be an underlying medical reason why he is eating so slowly rather than just a greedy companion.

Whats his fluid intake like? You could try supplementing his gut with some fiberplex for a few days week 'til his moult is over.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:39 pm

ooh. they seem to be drinking a bit less than normal. what is fibreplex?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Fiberples is a fiber extract infused with probiotics. You can buy it online or from the vet and it's given 3 times daily for 3 days, it's dispensed from a Panacur style syringe....but tastes much better!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down