Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

are your rabbits weird after the vets?

+3
Honeybunny
March Hare
McQueen
7 posters

Go down

are your rabbits weird after the vets? Empty are your rabbits weird after the vets?

Post by McQueen Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Does anyone else’s rabbits act weird after they have been to the vets? McQueen went yesterday to get his nails cut and have an all over check up and his acting very weird since, really quite and not eating as much as he normally does. The fact his quite and very apprehensive is a big sign because his never normally like that. It took two vets to cut his nails while he was pinned down by one with their body wait so he couldn't move and we was an hour late for our appointment because we couldn't get him in his carrier.
His getting huge now though, his roughly 3ft long when lying down (not stretched) I am hoping he has stopped growing... No
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.goldenbunnies.org.uk

Back to top Go down

are your rabbits weird after the vets? Empty Re: are your rabbits weird after the vets?

Post by March Hare Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Most of my buns are fine and behave normally after a trip to the vet. However, I DO have a couple of exceptions.....my REW, Princess, does NOT cope well with being in strange places. The whole time she is at the vet, she breathes more rapidly than she usually does, and her eyes bulge. For 12 - 24 hours after we get back home she tends to be very quiet and sit in the corner and not eat terribly well. Thankfully, she has always been a VERY healthy bun (touch wood) and in the nearly 4 years that I have had her she has only had to frequent the vet for routine innoculations. I hope that McQueen soon rallies round and is up to his usual routines again!!!!! Very Happy
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

are your rabbits weird after the vets? Empty Re: are your rabbits weird after the vets?

Post by McQueen Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:45 pm

He was fine at the vets (apart from when he was pinned down lol) its when he got home.

I am not kidding you it took us over an hour to get the little git in his carrier. Here is the picture: I am actually sat LOCKED IN his cage with his carrier opposite the door to his cage (he was cornered in) so the only place he could go was in his carrier. I had to get IN his cage to get him out as he didn't want to go in his carrier and I had to lock to cage door with me in it because he kept opening it and running in the cage!
Chris my boyfriend was pathetic he was just stroking him saying “come on, come on” and I am like “Chris! just shove him in for goodness sake! I don’t want to be sat in here all bloody day!” Then when we did finally get there it took two vets to trim his nails.

So yeah, not surprising really....his probably having a sulk.
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:05 am

He might just be recovering from what he found a stressful experience..hope he is soon back to normal
and Emma..don't want to sound nasty..but you still speak about him in a way which most owners on here would find harsh..I know you were thinking of rehoming him..have you made a decision on that?

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 am

Honeybunny wrote:He might just be recovering from what he found a stressful experience..hope he is soon back to normal
and Emma..don't want to sound nasty..but you still speak about him in a way which most owners on here would find harsh..I know you were thinking of rehoming him..have you made a decision on that?

We have that sort of relationship, that doesn’t mean to say I hate him lol. I call him a little git all the time because he is just as most parents call their kids little monsters when they are naughty, but it’s the sort of thing that is taken light heatedly (i.e. sense of humour). I know you rescues deal with some heart breaking stories everyday, and has probably changed the way you see your pets to what I do, but I don't take myself very seriously. The fact that I call him a little git, little b***ger or the devil rabbit himself is not only the truth, but should be taken light heartedly. I don’t have the same kind of lovey-dovey relationship with my current rabbit that I did with my last one, that doesn’t mean to say I love him any less.
However if I cannot be myself around here I will not continue to post here as I am not going to be someone I am not as its fake.
I will not be rehoming McQueen no. People are just dieing to get their hands on him and I wish they would just back off! I get emails and PMs from people wanting him all the time, and if I really wanted to get rid of him I would. He has calmed down alittle since, but will stiff have our jokes....and that is what they are...jokes...happy thoughts.
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:39 am

I call my cats little gits. The bunnies are abused verbally too when they are being naughty Smile

I think things can be so easily misinterpreted in writing it's probably just a misunderstanding.

As for sulking bunnies, Hazel gets the most enormous strop on when I take her to the vets. She doesn't speak to me for at least a day afterwards.

I think if he has found it stressful, especially as you had to spend so long getting him in the carrier and what with him being pinned down and all, he was probably just a little shaken and glad to be home. That said, if he is acting strange for a long time it may be worth asking the vet about but if he seemed healthy at the checkup...

Hope he's a happier bunny soon Smile
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 pm

buddabun wrote:I call my cats little gits. The bunnies are abused verbally too when they are being naughty Smile

I think things can be so easily misinterpreted in writing it's probably just a misunderstanding.

As for sulking bunnies, Hazel gets the most enormous strop on when I take her to the vets. She doesn't speak to me for at least a day afterwards.

I think if he has found it stressful, especially as you had to spend so long getting him in the carrier and what with him being pinned down and all, he was probably just a little shaken and glad to be home. That said, if he is acting strange for a long time it may be worth asking the vet about but if he seemed healthy at the checkup...

Hope he's a happier bunny soon Smile

Thank you for understanding Laughing
I think unless you have had a hyper active pet you don't normally understand.
He thinks his the boss around here and because he didn't have it his own way, his sulking. His ok now though. His always happy. Laughing
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Ah well glad to hear it as I know you found it hard to bond with him in the early days..I wasn't being horrid just asking as you yourself did wonder about whether you should keep him or not .

and not surprised other people want him as he is so handsome!

Is he back to normal today?

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Yeah he seems to be. He was just sulking like a child because he was shown who is boss by being is pinned down to a vet table.

People want him because his rare, breeders are interested until I tell them his been fixed. There a lot of people that want paps but you can’t get them as many so called pap breeders are actually breeding crosses. But I say I wouldn’t recommend this breed because they are aggressive and very stubborn. McQueen has been brought up very well and would never bite or scratch. My vet at Cristobel’s reconfirmed he was a pure breed but assured me that information on them would be slim. This is the only page I can find on this breed: http://www.rabbituk.com/pap1.htm

But yeah his fine now and seems to have chilled out....slightly....
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kayj Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Poor lad he will have just been stressed and making you pay afterwards one of mine always turns her back on me for at least 2 days after a vets trip

kayj
Rescuer

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-07-07

http://www.bunnyhop.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I call my male bun, ratbit but in a loving way. He is a very tricksy character who doesn't like to be put to bed at night.

I'm glad that you are getting on with him now. I'm sure that Honneybuns was just checking that you are happy and wasn't meaning to criticise you.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Yeah I know that’s fine. I just had a lot of people ask me if they can take him of my hands it just gets annoying after awhile, not just because his mine but because it makes you feel a bit dumb. I am sure if I wanted to rehome him I wouldn't have any trouble.
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:14 pm

I can imagine it gets irritating but who could blame people for trying? He is certainly a very handsome chappy :luv:

Glad he is coming out of his sulk now.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:28 pm

He has slightly....don't think his forgiven me quite yet Laughing
It was a bit of a mission getting him into his carrier but he wouldn’t go (he must remember it from when he was neutered!). If he just let me or anyone else handle him it would be ok. To think we are going to have to do it again early hours of Christmas even morning when we go up north to visit family!
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Ohh dear. My rabbits don't like to be handled at all. I have to catch them and put them in their carrier together. Then they huddle up together and look really pathetic and breathe really heavily. They are usually very docile in the vets, and are a little quiet but only for about five mins or so after they come home.

Hope your beautiful boy is feeling a bit more forgiving tomorrow.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 am

NickieM wrote:Ohh dear. My rabbits don't like to be handled at all. I have to catch them and put them in their carrier together. Then they huddle up together and look really pathetic and breathe really heavily.

mine are the same! HONESTLY! LOL

But to be fair the only times they go to the vets are for operations or the vets to prod and poke them in sore places so I suppose it's not surprising.

How is McQueen today?
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 am

Haha his making a mess and driving me up the wall so I think his ok. Laughing
He gets a bit moody because he can't sleep because of the TV (and because I try and stroke him silent ) he gets a bit ratty. He dosn't like it when I am annoying him Razz
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Glad that he is back to his big bad self! Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:12 pm

My Berts really doesn't like the vets trips, he does spin out a bit, gets very heavy breath and fast heart rate and stays like that for a couple of hours after we get home, even if he's had nothing done.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down