Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today

+2
Happy Hoppers
BeckyLH
6 posters

Go down

Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today Empty Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today

Post by BeckyLH Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Well it all seems never ending with my poor Martha, she's been on antibiotics for about 3 months now for her snuffles and they still won't go, I know it's an ongoing thing but I feel so sorry for the poor little girl, and she's got a really awful eye infection that they vet says he has never seen before in a bunny, it's actually made her eye mishapen and she keeps it closed most of the time. It's constantly oozing junk which I try to keep at bay but it's difficult. She's on steroid drops for that and tiacil and sepprin for the snuffles. I just wish there was something else I can do Sad

Last edited by BeckyLH on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today Empty Re: Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Becky, when you say her eye is mishapen....is it bulging or protruding Hmmm
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today Empty Re: Snuffles getting worse :( UPDATE - Vets today

Post by BeckyLH Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:24 pm

It's kind of changed the shape of her eye ball when you look from the front, like it sticks out a little bit more in the middle, it's hard to describe but it is definitely different to the healthy one now Sad
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 pm

It sound like she may have the start of a retrobulbar abcess, has your vet mentioned this? It's also caused commonly by Pasteurella...the same bacteria usually responsible for snuffles and requires aggressive treatment.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BeckyLH Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Sooz wrote:It sound like she may have the start of a retrobulbar abcess, has your vet mentioned this? It's also caused commonly by Pasteurella...the same bacteria usually responsible for snuffles and requires aggressive treatment.

No they vet didn't mention that, I'll definitely mention it. There's like a red mass on the bottom of the eye, it's not attached and it's not a tumour as they orange stuff they put on didn't absorb, but it kind of sits on her eye ball. Does this sound like the symptoms? x x
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BeckyLH Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Looking into it it definitely looks like that's what it is Sooz, she's going in for a dental as soon as the snuffles has improved, hopefully this will help it too. The vet did say he's seen something similar in cats and I'm guessing that's what he meant. She's on steroid drops at the moment but going back on Wednesday.

Do buns have a third eye lid? Is this what the red bit is do you think? That's what it looks like, from the bottom of the eye.
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 am

It could be cherry eye which is an inflammation o the third eye-lid where it swells, you can google it for more information. Lexie had a severe infection of her remaining eye a few months ago and the third eyelid was very swollen and red and erm, flapped about pale

She lost her other eye to a retrobulbar abcess so I am very nervy about her remaining eye.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 am

Has Martha had an Xray of her skull ? I ask because elongated tooth roots can cause constant 'Snuffles' and gunky eyes as the tooth roots erupt into the nasal passages and block the nasolacrimal ducts ( tear ducts )

Systemic abx need to be aggressive and I think after 3 months on Septrin a more heavy duty abx should be considered ( eg Cephalexin or Depocillin Injections )

Benadryl Syrup, a human antihistimine med available from pharmacies, is sometimes helpful in soothing inflammed nasal membranes. Also, nebulising the effected Rabbit is a good idea. At the last RWA Conference a Veterinary Speaker recommended using a nebulised disinfectant ( F10 ) for chronic Snufflers
http://www.healthandhygiene.net/products.asp

I have also had good result with using Tiacil drops administered directly into the Buns nostrils but do ask your Vet before trying this with Martha. I have to dash off now but will have a good think about other possible treatments that might help.

Janex

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:34 am

sounds suspiciously like a retrobulbar abscess to me too. "Cherry eye" seems likely with the symptoms you described (red mass).

normally you can't see the nictitating membrane (3rd eyelid) but if it becomes infected then it's quite obvious.

get the vets on it Hmmm
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Siona Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:19 am

Oh noes Sad I hope she feels better. x x x vibes x x x

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Faunus Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm

sending vibes
Faunus
Faunus
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.bmdshare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:36 pm

ditto with the vibes... can't be a fun condition to have (see the pasteurella article - it has some info too)
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeckyLH Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll ask the vet about all the things you've mentioned when I take her back on Wednesday. When I mentioned the dental the vet suggested that I could book her in for the week after next but I don't think she should have the GA in this condition, do you? She surely wouldn't have a good chance of survival and I'm not going to take any risks with her while she's functioning normally.
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 am

BeckyLH wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll ask the vet about all the things you've mentioned when I take her back on Wednesday. When I mentioned the dental the vet suggested that I could book her in for the week after next but I don't think she should have the GA in this condition, do you? She surely wouldn't have a good chance of survival and I'm not going to take any risks with her while she's functioning normally.

Personally I'd want to get her established on a more heavy duty abx before contemplating a GA. A Dental would need to include a skull Xray to establish if tooth root elongation is an issue. If your Bun is quite placid the Vet might be able to do the Xray whilst Bun is awake. A Dental to sort out any issues with molar spurs etc could be done once the alternative abx have had a chance to kick in.

Janex

Back to top Go down

Post by BeckyLH Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:25 pm

Well I'm glad to say that Martha's eye has improved, she went to the vets today and we saw one of the rabbit savvy one's who was excellent. He said her teeth are slightly overgrown but not too much and he thinks the infection is contained but I should carry on with the abx and the drops for another 2 weeks as he didn't think she should undergo GA yet. I was pleased with the outcome. I mentioned the absess and he said it doesn't look like that now as it has significantly improved in the last few days although that was a possibility. She does seem to be getting a bit better now Smile
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:27 am

I hope she continues to improve but I would get her teeth burred in the near future before they begin to cause her a real problem as these things really need to be nipped in the bud. Burring the crown can also help minimise root elongation by removing them need for the tooth to grow 'backwards'. Generally it's root elongation that leads to eye infections and tear duct blockages.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:54 am

I hope Martha continues to respond well to treatment. I agree with Sooz about getting the teeth sorted ASAP

Janex Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Sending huge vibes xxxxxxxxxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BeckyLH Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks everyone! She'll be going in for the dental as soon as she's well enough to undergo the GA which will hopefully be in a couple of weeks. x x
BeckyLH
BeckyLH
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down