Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums??

+3
NickieM
Rosie Rabbit
proudmummy
7 posters

Go down

Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums?? Empty Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums??

Post by proudmummy Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi all,

Took Johns to the vets for an injection today and he was not impressed.

Discussed de-plumming with vet who said to do it but am not sure if need to?? I am half and half.... what are the negatives and positives of doing this?

Help!

Jem xx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums?? Empty Re: Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums??

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi Jemma Wave

There's a really good article on the benefits of neutering HERE

I would definitely say get it done Thumbs Up
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums?? Empty Re: Johnny Nibbles... plums or no plums??

Post by proudmummy Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Hiya thanks Helen .. I think I saw this before but couldn't find it again!

I think I will - my concern is Johns will get aggressive and then bite Maddie so then she will be scared of him which I don't want. They said I got to take him in early morning and he be home by evening - will keep him in hutch rather than letting him roam garden I think.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again. Apologise to Rosie that no chance of a romance or babies lol

Jem xx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:51 pm

Definitely get him done. I had Wolfie done and it was fine.

It minimises them spraying and in Wolfie's case, stopped it. Also it is good for controlling their aggression and they smell nicer too!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 pm

proudmummy wrote:
Thanks again. Apologise to Rosie that no chance of a romance or babies lol

Jem xx
Eeeek! Will have to break it to Rosie gently! Wink Laughing

Keep us posted, good luck Wave
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:52 pm

defo do it. it makes them less excitable and makes life simpler as they don't have sexual frustrations and urges they can't fulfill.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 pm

i want to do it but DH (despite not being here) says it isnt worth it, is it necessary and is moaning about the expense £65 ... to be fair we are trying to sort finances out at the moment as we are a bit more in debt than we thought :p

i just dont know what to do.
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:10 pm

i think it is worth it and important to do so if i were you and could find the money do it. how old is he now?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Jemma, I went tghrough similar debates with Bertie. He was such a bundle of fun pre-op and I thought he'd loose his vitality etc, but actually I was being a bit selfish, as Bertie lives alone, and has no chance of fulfilling most bunnies reason to be here. Post op, he was no different once he'd recovered Smile

Maybe DH would respond to this argument : If he (DH) was kept on his own, with no female 'company' for his whole life, how frustrated would he feel? Buns want to do it all the time, so it's even worse for them, and that frustration may well drive him to become aggressive every now n then, it does the same in people, usually with horrendous consequences Sad

I do know a solitary unneutrered bun who is extremely placid, so it's not always the case, but do I remember right that Johns has nipped Maddie already? or was that someone else?

I agree that it's important for his enjoyment of life, and as a singleton, it has more emphasis Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:24 pm

I am a de plumming kind of gal! Think it is much better for them all round! Thumbs Up
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbury Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:42 pm

I've had my two buns neutered, it definitely cuts down on the aggression, also they no longer spray. I didn't notice any change in their personality (once they'd recovered). I'd certainly recommend it.
Bunbury
Bunbury
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Jay wrote:
Maybe DH would respond to this argument : If he (DH) was kept on his own, with no female 'company' for his whole life, how frustrated would he feel?

PMSL I LOL at this Jay .. considering DH's recent behaviour, I'd say he should understand!!!!!
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi ... I cancelled Johns op for tomorrow. I still want to get it done but having just realised we are sailing close to the wind this month, think will have to get it done next month. I am definitely going to get it done though.

Can't remember if he nipped Maddie before - if he hasn't I am surprised the way she runs after him lol

x
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down