Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2!

+10
Jay
Sixer
buddabun
Oggie
Lynda
Karina
Honeybunny
Catsknickers
Snowy
coco
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! Empty Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2!

Post by coco Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:12 pm

oh man, I had the best time EVER today! It was the first day doing work experience at Toft Alpacas, and i've enjoyed it so much!
They have loads of breeding alpacas, that they use to show, but primarily for their wool. They are just the sweetest animals ever. People often have this misconception that they are bold, and will spit, but they are the most timid and quite animals ever. The herder, Linda was saying to me that she's not allowed to form bonds between the Alpacas, becuase they often end up 'playing' and boxing with their owners.... they are VERY strong animals Shocked. She cared for them so well, she could name every single one... there was 200-odd there Shocked. Also I didn't realise the price tag an alpaca carries.... up to £35,000 for a good stud male!!!!!! Shocked
Today, it was just introductory, and getting to grips with the animals. We did alot of herding, and moving them to different fields. We then got showed how to walk them on a harness, to get them used to it for when they go to the vets/show/another field. I also did some work with the vet, and tested them for Bovine and Avian TB, and then took a blood sample from them! I have enjoyed it SO much!

it is set in the most scenic place ever, and I can't believe this down the road from my house Shocked
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7789

Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7763

5 month old alpacas :luv:
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7785

the female herd
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7772
Shocked
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7773

french imports
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7800

8 week old alpaca baby :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7825

feeding time for the young girlies
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7862

:luv:
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7881

and i love this picture!
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7886

and this is what an alpaca looks like underneath all that wool Laughing love their afros!
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7902

Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7907

Last edited by coco on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! Empty Re: Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2!

Post by Snowy Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:34 pm

What a fabulous experience Janak, they look like they have quite a few there, are they friendly?, lovely pictures

Last edited by Snowy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! Empty Re: Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2!

Post by Catsknickers Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 pm

They are gorgeous. Don't they have lovely faces?! What do they eat?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Theo, they are very shy animals, so we can't approach them and give them a snuggle Sad. We have to herd them into those pens, and then we can only asess them. They don't bite at all, the most they do is kick, using their back legs, but thats when they are threatened, or seriously p*ssed off Laughing They are so soft though... their coats are VERY thick and i'm sure they were very snug in them, in the wind today! They're not far from you either Theo, only in Dunchurch!

Char, they eat similar stuff to rabbits, except the fresh veg and fruits! main diet is pasture and hay, probably 95%... and they all get a tiny amount of pellets once a day, just so they get all the nutrients that they need. Their faces are gorgeous... not one looks like another :luv:
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 pm

The are stunning :luv:
How lucky to get to work with them..I know the feed store we use sells alpaca pellets but have no idea of any near us.

Sensitive question but so they use them for meat aswell as wool? (sorry but had to ask)..wondered if in years to come they will replace sheep in this country

Gorgeous countryside too

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Karina Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 pm

:luv: :luv: I love them, I want to squish one.

They have amazing 'fros Very Happy
Karina
Karina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1377

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 pm

I want one! :luv: You must have had SO much fun, dead jealous Sad
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Honeybunny wrote:The are stunning :luv:
How lucky to get to work with them..I know the feed store we use sells alpaca pellets but have no idea of any near us.

Sensitive question but so they use them for meat aswell as wool? (sorry but had to ask)..wondered if in years to come they will replace sheep in this country

Gorgeous countryside too

they are definatley not used for meat... its far too expensive, and too much money and time has gone into the genetics of the UK stock of these animals to produce the best quality wool available and not muscle for when they are shown. I'm sure that in their original countries like Peru and Bolivia they are used for meat, as they are adapted animals that live in high altitude, where the people live and raise them, as these countries are high and mountainous. I can't imagne them tasting good though (coming from a veggie Laughing) their skin is very thick and tough!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:52 pm

They are adorable. I love their hair do's when they are cut and they still have tufts on the feet aswell :luv: :luv:
Oggie
Oggie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Well I'm pleased about that..they look far too cute to eat..

Those babies are just adorable :luv:

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm

coco wrote:Theo, they are very shy animals, so we can't approach them and give them a snuggle Sad. We have to herd them into those pens, and then we can only asess them. They don't bite at all, the most they do is kick, using their back legs, but thats when they are threatened, or seriously p*ssed off Laughing They are so soft though... their coats are VERY thick and i'm sure they were very snug in them, in the wind today! They're not far from you either Theo, only in Dunchurch!

Dunchurch?, that's not far at all Shocked will have to look out for them, they do look really gorgeous animals though, you are so lucky to have worked with them, beautiful :luv: :luv:
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 am

Oh my goodness they are just the cutest little things!! Looking at them makes me chuckle for some reason they just look so fluffy and adorable!

What an incredible time you must have had. I must admit I knew very little about alpacas but their little faces are just so gorgeous.

Will you bring back more pics from your next visit? Pleaseohpleaseohpleeeease???
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 am

Oh Janak - you are so lucky to be working with them. I just :luv: them.

I went Llama trekking a couple of years ago and absolutely fell in love with the llamas. When walking with them they radiate the most wonderful feeling of peace and calm. I would love to own some llamas in the future.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 am

Wow Janak, they're amazing, you are sooo meant to work with animals Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:12 am

I second that!
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:51 am

Janak they are fantastic!!! How adorable! I am so pleased for you that you had that experience!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:52 am

wow they are gorgeous!! you are so lucky! i love their hair dos!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm

thank you guys! I swear the herdswoman was getting a little sick of me when i was taking loads of photos Laughing, I couldn't stop!

couple of more pictures from today;
i love this picture, im sure I caught it at the right moment when the 'pacas were walking across the field! :luv:
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7923

and this little scruffy boy :luv:. i found him collapsed on the floor when we were training all the lads. Apparently he consistently dehydrates himself, and never uses the water trough to drink Sad. I had to pick him up and syringe him with water so he got enough fluids in his body! He's ill, im not too sure what he has, but the vet said he doesn't have long left.... he's only 5 months old Crying or Very sad
Alpaca Farm - picture heavy! .... more pictures page 2! IMG_7930 :luv:
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 pm

oh what a shame he isnt thriving. Sad Isnt it nice that you have been amongst the people to give him comfort though.

the first picture is beautiful.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:20 pm

thank you Erin!
I know, its really sad Sad. they are SO well cared for, and I know that the owners would be devestated if he did pass away. Yesterday they said they had their very first ever PTS... and they have been up and running for 15 years or something!
I want an alpaca farm now! Laughing
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 pm

janak what career do you want to do? I am going to train to be a veterinary nurse. I assume you are wanting to work with animals, but you did those great rabbit sculptures too, didnt you?! or am I totally getting mixed up with regards to one too many glasses of wine one night? (any news on you doing one for me on commission Very Happy )

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 pm

senatorvass wrote:janak what career do you want to do? I am going to train to be a veterinary nurse. I assume you are wanting to work with animals, but you did those great rabbit sculptures too, didnt you?! or am I totally getting mixed up with regards to one too many glasses of wine one night? (any news on you doing one for me on commission Very Happy )

I'm applying for Veterinary Medicine in september, on the conditions I get the grades Shocked... I must be mad! If not, its going to be Zoology combined with, either marine biology or fine arts Smile, hoping that will get me onto vetmed! My end goal is to have a MRCVS... even if it means applying to Europe/Greneda or something!

Laughing I need a kiln first, and my kiln fund is growing slowly! £150 in the pot so far! Very Happy
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:12 am

Aww the poor little baby one Sad That's so sad... I hope they find some miracle for him but if they don't I hope he doesn't suffer. Poor little chap

That first photo is stunning. "Pacas" Laughing They're just brilliant!
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:23 pm

buddabun wrote:Aww the poor little baby one Sad That's so sad... I hope they find some miracle for him but if they don't I hope he doesn't suffer. Poor little chap

That first photo is stunning. "Pacas" Laughing They're just brilliant!

He's such a sweet little lad, he doesn't even mind you touching him. I hope he lives longer than expected. I want to bring him home though Embarassed

H, look at the other thread on alpacas, more pictures just for you! Wink
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:53 pm

They are such amazing looking creatures - sort of like rugs on legs. Laughing Their wool looks amazingly thick. Poor little baby one, how strange that he doesn't drink. Sad

Well done you, I think you're a natural with animals, do hope you get into Vet Med. Smile
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next